Mantiz Saturn Pro 3-slot bracket mod accomodating EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super XC...

Notifications
Clear all

Mantiz Saturn Pro 3-slot bracket mod accomodating EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra+  

RSS

csplinter
(@csplinter)

Hi all. New to the forum. I'm currently traveling for work for an extended period and only have my laptop with me. Not wanting to be left out of the RTX 3080 launch, I bought the Mantiz Saturn Pro v2 in preparation of arrival of the card. This was my first attempt to buy such a card at launch day, and I missed out like so many others.

I learned of EVGA's step up program shortly thereafter, which if you're unaware of, will allow me to upgrade from any recently purchased EVGA card to the RTX 3080 when stock becomes available. This is good because it meets my immediate needs for a card to occupy this enclosure. So here I am with the RTX 2070 super.

This particular card is advertised as a 2.75 slot design. This seemed like a good choice because the Saturn pro is also advertised as supporting up to 2.75 slot cards, including the RTX 3080. Things did not go as smoothly as I initially hoped, which is why I decided to write this up to share my experience.

The trouble is that this particular card comes with a 3 slot mounting bracket, whereas the Saturn Pro features a two-slot mounting mechanism. It didn't seem that there was any way this was going to work. Metal was running into metal. I kind of shit a brick thinking I would have to return the thing, cancel my spot in the step-up queue, and re-enroll maybe a week later when things had had time to ship back and forth again. By then I would certainly have added a substantial amount of time to what is already sure to be a long wait for my RTX 3080.

Fortunately there is at least one way to work around this issue.

The first option I discovered, but have not tested is the availability of an alternate two-slot mounting bracket available as an accessory from the EVGA store. The manufacturer part number is M022-10-000138. It is available here at the time of writing: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=M022-10-000138

I did not take this approach for a number of reasons. First, it requires more disassembly of the GPU than you would think. A guide outlining it available here: https://www.evga.com/support/faq/FAQdetails.aspx?f=59745 As you can see, a complete tear down is necessary. Surprisingly, this is actually officially supported by EVGA and will NOT void you warranty. However, it should be noted that they are clear, you must retain possession of the original 3-slot bracket and be prepared to properly reinstall it in the event that you need warranty coverage. Your RMA will be denied if you send in a card with the 2-slot bracket. This seemed like quite a hassle for a card that I fully intended to return to EVGA.

Secondly, there was no way I could be sure that the card would actually fit even with the bracket installed. I knew I had to try everything I could to make this work, or get a working replacement ASAP. There was no time to spare farting around, with my spot in the step-up program in jeopardy.

So if you find yourself in such a position here is a photo guide of what to do below. I'll be testing the rig soon with the following

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th Generation

Intel i5-10210U

16GB ram

integrate 1080P display

external 1080P display

If you have any particular benchmarks you would like to see, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage, Arzen and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
csplinter
(@csplinter)

This spot intentionally left blank for benchmarks.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Arzen
(@arzen)
Trusted Member

@csplinter, looks like quite the project! Great photos! 

You should share these photos over on the Saturn post so people can see the Silver color. <3

MacBook Pro 16" - 2.3 i9, 16GB, 1TB, 5500m (I added thermal pads to the VRMs); Mantiz Saturn Pro w/ PowerColor Red Devil 5700 XT (previously, a Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box) + LG OLED C9

ReplyQuote