Clear all

Mantiz Titan Thunderbolt 3 Dock Review - #Donglelife Simplified  

of  4
  RSS

ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member

Posted by: 4chip4

As someone who does a lot of conf room shuffling around - in that context the intent is not to carry your dock around, but to have it as a budget-friendly "presenter dock". You walk in the meeting room, plug in the TB3 connector, and you get power, video (even if it's a crummy VGA) and network through a single dock. USB-C to HDMI/Displayport is always easier to find than VGA, which will be a big active dongle if done separately. That eliminates a whole lot of setting up/forgotten charger/cable time.

So while I understand that a VGA-out is not necessarily a benefit for high-tech road-warriors who largely deal with recent consumer projectors meant for EU/US markets, I can certainly appreciate it from a company/corp-world perspective. Whether it was perhaps better to have two products (one for consumer, one for enterprise) or if the manufacturing cost synergy justifies it is another discussion altogether.

+1. This is exactly what I was saying, it is not a dock to carry... (and I don't think is intended to the enterprise, but consumers) and a cheap adapter make the work for this particular and exceptional situation. So VGA, pointless.
And even more lacking a lot of things that I think should be in a $200 dock, as I said, I will not spend in a dock in which I still need to use other adapters.
What I am sure, and I don't have any doubt, that this will be a quality product, because the finish of the Mantiz Venus is good, but not my cup of tea.

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

Kelvin Au liked
ReplyQuote
Girish Nanjangud
(@gichhi)

why cant this device use apple power brick(thunderbolt 3) instead of proprietary one....?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor

Posted by: Girish Nanjangud

why cant this device use apple power brick(thunderbolt 3) instead of proprietary one....?

The logic is simple, 13" MBP is with 60W Type C adatper and 15" is with 87W. We really like to save the cost not to bundle an AC adapter, but since this device supply 87W to the laptop, how will a 13" MBP use its 60W charger to make Mantiz Titan work. So, finally we gave up to use type C charger.

Mantiz: ● ●

ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor

Posted by: ha1o2surfer

I know this config works. TB3 > TB2 adapter > Akitio with 970 > WD my DUO  > mDP to DP HUB x3. I drive 3 x 1080p displays plus 2 from the 970 just fine.

This config also works USBc > mDP adapter > mDP to DP hub.

I also have a TB3 dock that I can also test my USBc mDP adapter on but I have no worries about that working either as long as I don't go over the 3 Display limit of my Intel HD 620.

That's why Im always so confused why you can't find a USBc to 3x DP adapter or any combo of 3 display outs that all work at the same time. It's very doable but maybe it wont pass a certification. Not sure

USB c to 3 DP = 16G bandwidh x 3 =48G, it had been over the 40G limitation. but of course if the display is only with 1080p, that's different story. 

ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor

Posted by: Jyin

Yeah, if this thing had 3 DP, or even 2 DP + 1 USB-C (So I can run triple, FreeSync), it would have been an insta-buy.

J

it wont be possible in thunderbolt architecture.
Each TB3 chip had contained two DP source, there will be several kinds of configuration in designs,
TB3 chip --2 x DP sources or TB3 chip -1DP + 1 Type C ( that type C can be output to a DP or Type C downstream port ) 
Mantiz Titan we used the TB3 chip--2 x DP source, it means, if any user who has 2nd monitor, they don't need to buy a type C to HDMI or Type C to DP adapter. they can use Mantiz Titan 2 DP or 1DP+ HDMI, 1VGA + HDMI, 1DP + VGA, four kinds of configs , there's no any extra adapter to make the 2nd monitor lighting up. 

ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor

Posted by:

it is not for cost saving consideration. The point is, 
1. 13" user cannot use their stock charger. ( PD 87W for laptop , 2 USB =10w, Thunderbolt chip & others are 20W approx ) total power consumption is about 117W. 
2. We've survey the type C adapter which is more than 100W, that's not able to be found any. Biggest one we saw is 90W for the time bening.

ReplyQuote
Brian_
(@brian_)

I have just received my Mantiz Titan thunderbolt 3 dock, but unfortunately I cannot recommend it. The coil whine that this dock produces is insane. As soon as I plug it in the coil whine starts, and it does not stop or get any less annoying. It is a shame because otherwise this could have been a good product.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Daelin
(@daelin)
Trusted Member

this is a really good price for a tb3 dock. but unfortunately it suffers the same drawback as most existing tb3 docks: only two usb ports. am i the only one who owns more usb peripherals?
on the other hand there are 4 display connectors, even a vga... common we are in 2018 no one needs vga!

furthermore connections that are missing and stat of the art:
-audio (analog and digital)
-cardreader

please consider next time to evaluate what connections are needed typically instead of building in whats technically easy/cheap!

MacBook Pro 15" 2017, AMD RP560
Devil Box + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Bricked thanks to rEFInd:
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013, GT 750M

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (PowerColor Devil Box) + macOS 10.13.3 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Daelin
(@daelin)
Trusted Member

i agree, this specs are not useful for for me either. and i'm sad to hear that there are technical considerations why it was not designed more useful.
it seems to me this product was designed in a way to satisfy easy of building instead of cover the needs of users. as OWC shows it is absolute possible to build such a dock: https://www.owcdigital.com/products/thunderbolt-3-dock

furthermore i guess most users here are not in an asia region or wont carry around a tb3 dock for presentations on a old vga beamer. for that dongles are much better suitable!

MacBook Pro 15" 2017, AMD RP560
Devil Box + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Bricked thanks to rEFInd:
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013, GT 750M

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (PowerColor Devil Box) + macOS 10.13.3 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor

Posted by: Daelin

this is a really good price for a tb3 dock. but unfortunately it suffers the same drawback as most existing tb3 docks: only two usb ports. am i the only one who owns more usb peripherals?
on the other hand there are 4 display connectors, even a vga... common we are in 2018 no one needs vga!

furthermore connections that are missing and stat of the art:
-audio (analog and digital)
-cardreader

please consider next time to evaluate what connections are needed typically instead of building in whats technically easy/cheap!

Capture2
Capture1

Is it the thing you want ??

ReplyQuote
 of  4