Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Mantiz Venus intermittently works with Dell XPS 13 2in1 7390 - any thoughts?

Mantiz Venus intermittently works with Dell XPS 13 2in1 7390 - any thoughts?  

RSS

cammj
(@cammj)

Hey all,

I updated my work laptop the other day and i've been spending weeks trying to get it to consistently work with a Mantiz Venus. I'm not entirely sure its the Mantiz's fault, considering that it worked fine on my other laptop and works fine on my partners laptop too.

On the Dell XPS 2 in 1 7390 - I get a "loop" of windows connected device and then disconnected device sounds (the windows sounds when you connect a device).

The only clue as to what is going on is that there is a repeated event log in windows event viewer;

Event ID 19
Source OED
Provider Intel-SST-OED (googling shows this has something to do with intel's 'smart' stuff, e.g support for 'alexa')

"Check the remaining resource budget. Module exceeds resource budget, failed to AllocateFwCps, STATUS = Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API.."

Does anyone have any ideas on what i can try to do? I've tried a fresh install of windows and have updated all the Dell firmware and drivers. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor

@cammj

Have you use " Dell Update " utility to update the BIOS & Thunderbolt Controller

Mantiz: ● ●

ReplyQuote
cammj
(@cammj)

@mymantiz_john

All of the firmwares are updated, BIOS, and Thunderbolt Controller included - to the latest available from the Dell support's website.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
cammj
(@cammj)

In an attempt to do some further troubleshooting, I disabled the Intel Display Audio which in turn disables Intel SST (disabling it direct stops all audio).

It still doesnt work - but no Intel SST errors in the System log now, instead, i'm seeing a WER (Windows Error Reporting) log in the Application log.

Fault bucket LKD_0x193_DxgkrnlLiveDump:802_Status_0xC000009E_Bus_C8EBDFB0_failed_assign_resource_for_vendor_id_1002_dev_67DF_dxgkrnl!DxgCreateLiveDumpWithWdLogs, type 0
Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

Vendor ID 1002 Dev 67DF is the Radeon card that's in the Mantiz Venus.. it's starting to smell a lot like there is some kind of compatibility issue with the Mantiz Venus and Ice Lake..

Does anyone else have an Ice Lake CPU? My understanding it's only the XPS 7390's that have shipped with them so far.

ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor

@cammj

what's your windows Build Number? 

ReplyQuote
cammj
(@cammj)

@mymantiz_john 18363.418

here is an update though - i've been holding out on posting back because i wanted to test stability, however, in the past couple of days i've managed to get it to connect semi-reliably apart from one instance (e.g it connects more often than not, which was the opposite last time).

i've disabled the following components within device manager to get this level of experience (note it's a downgraded one)

• System Devices\Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) OED
  • Sound, video\Intel(R) Display Audio
  • Sound, video\AMD High Definition Audio Device

Any one of those components could potentially be causing this, but it seems maybe audio driver related and potentially related to the HDMI passthrough to the monitors..

I'm happy with this, because I don't use the audio on the monitors, so i dont need to resolve it further. However, there definitely seems to be some kind of bug here - and i'm not sure if its related to the new Ice Lake or if it is in fact windows build related..

ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor

Posted by: @cammj

@mymantiz_john 18363.418

here is an update though - i've been holding out on posting back because i wanted to test stability, however, in the past couple of days i've managed to get it to connect semi-reliably apart from one instance (e.g it connects more often than not, which was the opposite last time).

i've disabled the following components within device manager to get this level of experience (note it's a downgraded one)

• System Devices\Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) OED
  • Sound, video\Intel(R) Display Audio
  • Sound, video\AMD High Definition Audio Device

Any one of those components could potentially be causing this, but it seems maybe audio driver related and potentially related to the HDMI passthrough to the monitors..

I'm happy with this, because I don't use the audio on the monitors, so i dont need to resolve it further. However, there definitely seems to be some kind of bug here - and i'm not sure if its related to the new Ice Lake or if it is in fact windows build related..

I've tested tons of Dell XPS and we've found Dell XPS is so far is the only one device which is affected by Windows Build 18362.3xx or 4xx. Cannot duplicate the same in Lenovo/ HP and others. 

ReplyQuote
cammj
(@cammj)

@mymantiz_john 

Ice lake has only been out for a month or two. Have you tested any other devices running Ice Lake? If so, what models? Because there's basically none in retail availability at the moment.

ReplyQuote