Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Mantiz Venus - Sep 2017 firmware with full 22xxMiB/s bandwidth (archive)

Mantiz Venus - Sep 2017 firmware with full 22xxMiB/s bandwidth (archive)  

RSS

nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Just noticed Mymantiz_John has removed this full 22xxMiB/s bandwidth firmware from his blog.  This firmware has been proving to be problematic with I/O ports as can be seen by user reports below:

In the first link above we see he has been reverting some users back to the previous 15xxMiB/s bandwidth firmware which statically allocates a large chunk of bandwidth for port use. This 22xxMiB/s firmware was supposed to dynamically allocate bandwidth for I/O ports as they needed it.

Some users want full eGPU bandwidth and don’t care for the I/O ports.

Thankfully we have his original blog firmware post announcement archived at http://archive.is/YV69Z , snippetted below and this full-H2D firmare attached.

Mantiz Venus New firmware is released

by John Li September 14, 2017 https://mymantiz.com/blogs/news/mantiz-venus-new-firmware-is-released%23comment s”>22 Comments

Finally, we got the Intel Sign. Here’s the FW with Dynamic Control.

Download https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1s-cMG0OPjFQU0xRzBNekNvTG s”>Here

How to:

In Window 10

1. Connect with your Mantiz Venus

2. Make sure that Thunderbolt device manager had been recognized the device.

3. Unzip the firmware update tool.There will be two files, unzip them into the same folder. 

4. Execute the FwUpdateTool_TBX-550CA_NOMOD_Mantiz.exe.

5. Follow the step, then Done.

Note:

* Mainly for increasing the band width from Host ( Laptop ) to Device ( Mantiz Venus )

Mymantiz_John originally announced this upcoming firmware in July-2017:

Posted by: Mymantiz_John
Posted by: moffat

Excellent to see those tests, I think the performance hit may come if you are running a game at High FPS / low quality where the transfer speed would be more of a bottleneck.

HI, Please check the bench mark by

Heaven Benchmark

API: DirectX11

Quality: Low

Resolution: 640×360

Current FW: H2D 15xx Mib/S

2017 07 25 下午5.02.08

Result:

2017 07 25 下午5.03.59

Upcoming FW: H2D 22xx Mib/s

2017 07 25 下午5.05.53

Conclusion:

No difference in Low Quality & High FPS.

Please enjoy those extra Ports and its convenience. ^_^

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor

we remove it because it will make confusion, all the shipment form July is using the Full H2D firmware, so we think it had been lasting for along while, so it doesn't need to be there. 

Mantiz: ● ●

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

I’m using dynamic allocation firmware without issue on Sata and Ethernet. Sometime I got some USB-A he dusconnected but no issue with my mouse, iPhone dock and headset.

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
dbuckingham
(@dbuckingham)

Are there more tests out there that compare the effect of the different bandwidth on game fps?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

ReplyQuote
dbuckingham
(@dbuckingham)

Thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@nando4 Is this the only/latest firmware I can apply for the Mantiz, or have there been any new developments? Because I'm experiencing half H2D bandwidth (well more than half - 16xx instead of 22xx) on my Venus.

This post was modified 3 months ago

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mac_editor I believe the firmware from late 2017 is the newest. I also have a .bin version saved too if needed. The FWUpdateTool requires the Intel Thunderbolt Software [17.4.77.400]. It gets complicated when you want to switch to Thunderbolt Software Control later so make a Restore point. Once you finish flashing the firmware, go back to the non-Intel Thunderbolt Software restore. 

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage

Thank you. I’ve not been using any Thunderbolt software so far. The instructions provided by Mantiz mention disconnecting the GPU for this. Is this needed?

This post was modified 3 months ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mac_editor I believe Mantiz followed the steps I wrote in this FW upgrade guide. Things have changed quite a bit since [new procedure]. You can download Intel Thunderbolt Software. Make sure the Thunderbolt enclosure is connected and active then you’re good to go.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage

No luck updating the firmware. Mantiz says it’s not doable on 2018 MBP apparently. Any suggestions?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mac_editor Sorry to hear your 2018 15″ MacBook Pro doesn’t have compatibility with Mantiz flashing tool. I’m unsure if it’s as clear cut as Alpine Ridge vs Titan Ridge.

Are there people in your circle that use a Thunderbolt Windows machine? I think that’s the easiest approach. Otherwise you can ship the board to me and I’ll run the firmware update.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage

Yes its a bummer. Thank you for the kind offer. Perhaps I'll try a couple more times. My close friends seem to all have 2018 Macs haha. Will bother you once I've tried all avenues.

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

No new firmware were released 🙁

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
FustyFred
(@fustyfred)

Hello,

I originally updated the firmware when I got the Venus earlier this year, because I had an issue with the mouse being unusably stuttery while playing games in Windows Boot Camp. After the update, everything was fine as far as I could tell... maybe a little lackluster external SSD speed but nothing I couldn't live with.

Fast forward to today, I'm in macOS downloading a rather large sound library to Logic (50GB) on my external SSD and suddently the music from Spotify (coming from an external USB Focusrite 2i4 Audio Interface) is cutting in-and-out like crazy. This is odd because the Focusrite uses very little bandwidth (it's USB 2.0) and yet downloading files to the external SSD appears to be tying up all available resources. As soon as I paused the download, everything is fine and no more skipping occurs.

Should I try to revert back to the original firmware it came with? Anything I can do to fix this? I'm worried this will affect my Logic sessions, which run both off the SSD and Focusrite simultaneously. I would prefer to run everything through the Venus and I really didn't think a 2.0 Focusrite was going to cause such a headache.

Equipment: 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro, Mantiz Venus, G-Drive Mobile SSD, Focusirte Scarlett 2i4.

P.S. recently switched to bluetooth Magic Keyboard and Mouse, so they are no longer contributing to bandwidth.

P.S.S. no longer using Boot Camp or Windows, so they are of no concern to me if that helps with a solution.

This post was modified 1 month ago

Apple 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro | LG 27UK600-W 27" 4k IPS Monitor | Apple Magic Keyboard 2 | Apple Magic Mouse 2 | G-Drive mobile SSD 500 GB External Drive | Focusrite 2i4 2nd gen USB Audio Interface | Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Studio Monitors | Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I went through the firmware flashing process on a TUL TBX-550CA PCB last night (from @mac_editor‘s Mantiz Venus). Here are some information that may be useful for future reference. Firmware flashing this board is not possible on 2018 and newer Macs. I ended up using my 2017 Alienware 13R3. Also not possible is Thunderbolt Control Center or Intel Thunderbolt Software newer than [16.2.55.275]. Even when the FW Update Tool open up, there would be errors during the process.

The firmware update was successful once those two prerequisites were met. I installed the PCB inside a Sonnet Breakaway Box (share the same board layout). I also installed an RX 480 to test the internal display mode performance with original firmware and full H2D firmware. The short answer is I did not notice a difference in visual and the benchmarks numbers showed almost identical results. The test were through 2019 13″ MacBook Pro running Win10 1903 18362.295 and Radeon drivers 19.10.2.

Preflash Postflash
This post was modified 3 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@itsage you are such a bloody good resource... thanks for testing that out and sharing! Good to hear the lower bandwidth doesn't effect performance really.

Really happy with my Mantiz, now I just have ot sort out the rest of my set up!

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage.

Perhaps games such as Forza Horizon 4 may have shown more interesting results. Thunderbolt performance penalties are quite an enigma. I am so intrigued by this. From all the tests I’ve seen, especially this one, the most reasonable conclusions would have to accommodate the following:

• Performance loss significantly increases across various loads on loopback.
  • There is some base performance loss on rendering on external display - this also varies game-to-game (load).

We have two primary variables we think affect thunderbolt performance:

• Latency
  • Bandwidth

One would assume that controller latency is some sort of constant. So transferring at 2000 MB/s would have same latency as transferring 1000 MB/s. But Thunderbolt controllers aren’t probably just standard PCIe switches. So if we have say some processing P(size) at host and device ends, then time of P depends on size? That is, P(1000 MB) < P(2000 MB)? This would imply that even if we have far higher bandwidth over thunderbolt 3 (say x16 3.0) with no improvements to P, at some point the latency would be so high for such a high-bandwidth load that it could be worthless. On the other hand consider a 1800 MB/s load. If we have low H2D bandwidth (say 1100 MB/s), then we would be maximizing that. Our claim above though implies latency would be lower vs. actually transferring 1800 MB/s (full H2D available - so there is headroom), where per our claim latency would be higher. In this scenario, would we see a performance gain or loss? In this case I would bet money on perf gains overall, i.e, net rise in latency (how much is it? What is P? good questions to ask) is still acceptable given how much more data we would move.

Not knowing what’s going on just annoys me to no end. Wish I had some more understanding of hardware. Or maybe I am talking BS. Fun to think about and theorize though. 

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@mac_editor The USB4 spec might give a clue about latency vs performance but they don't give any numbers or you have to do some math or testing.
usb4-specification-released

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote