Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Mantiz Venus - Sep 2017 firmware with full 22xxMiB/s bandwidth (archive)

Mantiz Venus - Sep 2017 firmware with full 22xxMiB/s bandwidth (archive)  

RSS

nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Just noticed Mymantiz_John has removed this full 22xxMiB/s bandwidth firmware from his blog.  This firmware has been proving to be problematic with I/O ports as can be seen by user reports below:

In the first link above we see he has been reverting some users back to the previous 15xxMiB/s bandwidth firmware which statically allocates a large chunk of bandwidth for port use. This 22xxMiB/s firmware was supposed to dynamically allocate bandwidth for I/O ports as they needed it.

Some users want full eGPU bandwidth and don’t care for the I/O ports.

Thankfully we have his original blog firmware post announcement archived at http://archive.is/YV69Z , snippetted below and this full-H2D firmare attached.

Mantiz Venus New firmware is released

by John Li September 14, 2017 https://mymantiz.com/blogs/news/mantiz-venus-new-firmware-is-released%23comment s”>22 Comments

Finally, we got the Intel Sign. Here’s the FW with Dynamic Control.

Download https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1s-cMG0OPjFQU0xRzBNekNvTG s”>Here

How to:

In Window 10

1. Connect with your Mantiz Venus

2. Make sure that Thunderbolt device manager had been recognized the device.

3. Unzip the firmware update tool.There will be two files, unzip them into the same folder. 

4. Execute the FwUpdateTool_TBX-550CA_NOMOD_Mantiz.exe.

5. Follow the step, then Done.

Note:

* Mainly for increasing the band width from Host ( Laptop ) to Device ( Mantiz Venus )

Mymantiz_John originally announced this upcoming firmware in July-2017:

Posted by: Mymantiz_John
Posted by: moffat

Excellent to see those tests, I think the performance hit may come if you are running a game at High FPS / low quality where the transfer speed would be more of a bottleneck.

HI, Please check the bench mark by

Heaven Benchmark

API: DirectX11

Quality: Low

Resolution: 640×360

Current FW: H2D 15xx Mib/S

2017 07 25 下午5.02.08

Result:

2017 07 25 下午5.03.59

Upcoming FW: H2D 22xx Mib/s

2017 07 25 下午5.05.53

Conclusion:

No difference in Low Quality & High FPS.

Please enjoy those extra Ports and its convenience. ^_^

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor

we remove it because it will make confusion, all the shipment form July is using the Full H2D firmware, so we think it had been lasting for along while, so it doesn't need to be there. 

Mantiz: ● ●

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

I’m using dynamic allocation firmware without issue on Sata and Ethernet. Sometime I got some USB-A he dusconnected but no issue with my mouse, iPhone dock and headset.

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
dbuckingham
(@dbuckingham)

Are there more tests out there that compare the effect of the different bandwidth on game fps?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@dbuckingham , please see approx gaming FPS increases going from half-H2D to full H2D at:

https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/alert-akitio-node-half-h2d-bandwidth-issue/

Some anecdotes:

https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/guide-update-thunderbolt-3-egpu-enclosure-firmware-in-boot-camp/paged/2/#post-26817

https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/alert-akitio-node-half-h2d-bandwidth-issue/paged/5/#post-6752

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

ReplyQuote
dbuckingham
(@dbuckingham)

Thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@nando4 Is this the only/latest firmware I can apply for the Mantiz, or have there been any new developments? Because I'm experiencing half H2D bandwidth (well more than half - 16xx instead of 22xx) on my Venus.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 (Mantiz Venus MZ-02)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mac_editor I believe the firmware from late 2017 is the newest. I also have a .bin version saved too if needed. The FWUpdateTool requires the Intel Thunderbolt Software [17.4.77.400]. It gets complicated when you want to switch to Thunderbolt Software Control later so make a Restore point. Once you finish flashing the firmware, go back to the non-Intel Thunderbolt Software restore. 

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@itsage

Thank you. I’ve not been using any Thunderbolt software so far. The instructions provided by Mantiz mention disconnecting the GPU for this. Is this needed?

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mac_editor I believe Mantiz followed the steps I wrote in this FW upgrade guide. Things have changed quite a bit since [new procedure]. You can download Intel Thunderbolt Software. Make sure the Thunderbolt enclosure is connected and active then you’re good to go.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@itsage

No luck updating the firmware. Mantiz says it’s not doable on 2018 MBP apparently. Any suggestions?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mac_editor Sorry to hear your 2018 15″ MacBook Pro doesn’t have compatibility with Mantiz flashing tool. I’m unsure if it’s as clear cut as Alpine Ridge vs Titan Ridge.

Are there people in your circle that use a Thunderbolt Windows machine? I think that’s the easiest approach. Otherwise you can ship the board to me and I’ll run the firmware update.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@itsage

Yes its a bummer. Thank you for the kind offer. Perhaps I'll try a couple more times. My close friends seem to all have 2018 Macs haha. Will bother you once I've tried all avenues.

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

No new firmware were released 🙁

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote