Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
PowerColor Mini and Mini Pro Thunderbolt 3 eGPU announced at CES 2019

PowerColor Mini and Mini Pro Thunderbolt 3 eGPU announced at CES 2019  

RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Besides the VisionTek mini eGFX, PowerColor is another vendor to announce new mini external graphics solution at CES 2019. The two options from PowerColor share the same footprint and design with VisionTek but come with a GPU. The base configuration has an RX 560 4GB while the higher tier has an RX 570 8GB. Both are plug-and-play in macOS 10.14.2 and newer. 

PowerColor Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Enclosures Mini Mini Pro
IO ports Thunderbolt™ 3 (USB-C) port Upstream x 1
DC-in x 1
Thunderbolt™ 3 (USB-C) port Upstream x 1
USB 3.0 Type A x 2
Gigabit Ethernet x 1
DC-in x 1
Thunderbolt 3 Controller Single TB3 Dual TB3
External Power Adapter 180 Watts 240 Watts
Power Delivery 15 Watts 45 Watts
Graphics Card Integrated Radeon RX 560 4GB Radeon RX 570 8GB
MSRP US$359 US$499
Chassis Size 215 x 153 x 68 mm
Operating System Requirements MacOS 10.14.2 or above MacOS 10.13.4 or above
This topic was modified 10 months ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@alex_harrison)

Hey itsage,

I was wondering if you could help me figure out if this Powercolor eGFX box with an RX560 will work on Windows 10 and if there are any drivers or software that needs to be downloaded straight away for it to work. On powercolors website there is no information about graphics drivers or special software that needs to be downloaded. I have a Razer Blade Stealth from 2018 and kinda want to purchase this product but I am cot confident to do so without any guidance on drivers or software.

Alex

Razer Blade Stealth with Razer Core X and GTX 1080ti

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@alex_harrison These are just Thunderbolt 3 eGPUs so they shouldn't behave any differently than the Razer Core X. You can look in the builds list for any Windows 10 laptop using an RX560 or similar eGPU.

edit: But it is odd they don't mention Windows support.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@alex_harrison and @joevt This mini eGFX is a niche of a niche so it doesn’t receive the same attention from vendors and customers. I’m using one (RX 480 ITX) at my office everyday for the past four months. I can assure you it will work with your Razer Blade Stealth + RX 560. The RX 560 Mini version has 15W Power Delivery which technically doesn’t charge an ultrabook like the Blade Stealth sufficiently. In my experience however, if the laptop is docked with eGPU the majority of the time the battery can be trickle-charged and won’t go depleted. If you can get the Mini Pro version with RX 570, I’d recommend it for the dual Thunderbolt 3 controllers and expansion port. I have Ethernet, USB accessories and 45W PD as well as eGPU through a single Thunderbolt 3 cable. It’s been very convenient and reliable.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Username
(@username)
Estimable Member

I have the Mini eGFX on order and a Vega 56 Nano en route. 

As I mainly will use it with a 2012 Mac mini and a couple of Eizo displays. But I will get a TBT3 Mac mini later on with the 10Gbit option which is why I did not see any reason to get the mini pro version. I used the saved cash to buy my a vega nano instead. 

I might use the mini eGFX with my MBP but if so I’ll not use wired network or built in graphics anyway. 

As for the power supply I will feed it with a 460w HP DPS-460. The same I’ve used with my Thunder 3 and KFA2 1070 mini itx. 

I first planned to get a RX580 for Mini eGFX but I ran into a decent prised vega nano and could not resist it. So I’m selling my 1070 to finance the nano. 

Present: 2012 Mac mini + PowerColor RX 56 Vega Nano @10Gbps-TB1 +
PowerColor eGFX Mini 180F via TB3->TB2 adapter + macOS Mojave

Previous: 2012 Mac Mini + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3 via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Estimable Member

@username

Hi there, 

Where did you get the nano from? 

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

B. 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
Username
(@username)
Estimable Member

@tsakal

Plain luck from a private seller on a non-computer related sales forum. 

I was on my way to buy a RX580 when I found it. 
I believe a second hand 580 might be one of the best bang for buck cards available for macos atm. 

Previous: 2012 Mac Mini + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3 via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Estimable Member

@username

Lucky you.

I have a gigabyte gaming box and looking for one to replace my rx580

I have been very happy the rx580 so far. This gaming box is so quite is untrue. 

If you get lucky again and you see one let me know. 

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

B. 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
Username
(@username)
Estimable Member

@tsakal
will do!

ReplyQuote
(@alex_harrison)

@itsage

Thank you so much,

Im kinda new to this market with only one Razer core X (a lot of support and easy to setup) and its brilliant that you tell me it works fine. I know I will seem a bit stupid for asking this but do I just literally plug it in with the RX 560 drivers installed and look on the Thunderbolt 3 controller to see if it works??? Or is it more complicated than a plug and play experience. I wanted to buy the RX 570 version however it costs around double the price in the UK so it won't be very likely. Thank you very much for all the help however I really appreciate you getting my head around such a niche product  😛 . Hopefully there is a simple universal guide to this that you guys know of 😀 .

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

Razer Blade Stealth with Razer Core X and GTX 1080ti

ReplyQuote
PlasticFantastic
(@plasticfantastic)

@alex_harrison

Yep.  It's literally that simple!

Powercolor Gaming Station + RX 580 + 2018 MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote