ADT-Link R43SG / R43SL / R43SF + JEYI ThunderDock 7 mini?

Notifications
Clear all

ADT-Link R43SG / R43SL / R43SF + JEYI ThunderDock 7 mini?  

of  2
  RSS

matze
(@matze)

Hi there,

this is my first post here but im not new to this board. I read tons of topics and builds here (Im interested in building a eGPU enclosure myself) and I have to say the content and community here is amazing!

Recently I found something interesting while I was searching for a M.2-TB3 adapter/ enclosure: JEYI ThunderDock 7 mini

Its a TB3 Dock with a M.2 Slot inside.

Im not sure but wouldnt that be a cool solution to connect a eGPU via M.2 using ADT-Link R43SG , ADT-Link R43SL or ADT-Link R43SF  to this Dock while having additional USB-Ports available?

I think its not too expensive aswell if these Ports are useable while connected to a eGPU Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@matze, This Thunderbolt 3 dock is an intriguing choice for hosting an M.2 eGPU adapter. One of the missing feature when going the M.2 NVMe eGPU route is no expansion I/O and Power Delivery. This JEYI ThunderDock 7 mini works as a nice TB3 dock that may also host an eGPU through M.2 socket.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

Boltoway liked
ReplyQuote
matze
(@matze)

@itsage, thx for the reply.

Sorry for the bad explanation. My hole idea behind that dock is just to host an eGPU through the M.2 socket and maybe have some additional ports wich the dock delivers. I cant find any reviews of this tb dock/m.2 enclosure but I have some hope because it uses the intel JHL7440 chip.

Do you think its a good idea to try this instead of Samsung X5 or wavlink enclosure?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@matze, This dock is a better choice (compared to Samsung X5 and Wavlink). I'd be curious how the Power Delivery would work. Expansion ports should work alongside eGPU adapter in the M.2 slot. Being a Titan Ridge controller, some functionalities may work with USB-C hosts too. Point is you have a lot more flexibility with this dock.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
matze
(@matze)

@itsage, of what I have understood is that I just need a 20V USB-C Charger like this or even my HP USB-C Travel Power Adapter 65W to power the dock.

I think i will try this combined with R43SG. Maybe I can make a good deal in the next few weeks (black friday or holidays).

Hopefully this will work with my HP Elitebook 850 G7 wich finally has PCIe x4 TB3 ports.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@matze, the GPU still needs its own power supply.

It seems that this dock uses all the features of the Titan Ridge controller:

1 upstream Thunderbolt port (60W PD)
1 downstream Thunderbolt port (I have no idea why they would show both being connected to the same laptop).
1 PCIe x4 device
1 USB 3.1 gen 2 port
1 DisplayPort 1.4 output

The dock doesn't add anything else so it means maybe only the USB and DisplayPort port might work when connected with USB-C only. Not sure what happens with the second Thunderbolt port in that case. The PCIe device will not be usable with USB-C only.

It's hard to test the USB-C features unless you have a non-Thunderbolt USB-C port (such as on the RTX 20 cards, the AMD W5700, or maybe the Big Navi cards)

Anyway, during testing, check for any new USB controllers, hubs, and devices. Same for PCIe devices.

The ThunderDock 7 doesn't have the two Thunderbolt controllers that some eGPUs use to help with problems that arise with the USB functionality of the eGPUs. But those eGPUs all use Alpine Ridge. The ones that use Titan Ridge only have one Thunderbolt controller so maybe it means Titan Ridge won't have the problems.

There is a dock that does add other ports:

JEYI Thunderbolt 3 dock

I don't like that they replaced the DisplayPort output with HDMI. Other than that, it seems to add a 4 port USB 3.1 gen 2 hub and a USB to Gigabit Ethernet adapter.

Some other JEYI eGPUs:
https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/my-cheap-macos-tb3-tb2-enclosure-rd-effort-jeyi-m-2-ssd-to-thunderbolt-3-adapter-ngffp4x-n01/#post-69701
https://egpu.io/forums/which-gear-should-i-buy/thunderbolt-3-external-drive-slot-m-2-ngff-adapter/paged/3/#post-66155
https://egpu.io/forums/which-gear-should-i-buy/thunderbolt-3-external-drive-slot-m-2-ngff-adapter/paged/4/#post-66311
plus a few other variants in that same thread using various cables and connectors to position the JEYI in various ways relative to the GPU. Some of these may not be appropriate for the ThunderDock 7 because of its additional ports.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
fndg
 fndg
(@fndg)

I'm not sure I see the appeal of power delivery. You still need one dedicated PSU for your eGPU, and one ~60W charger. With a Samsung X5 or a Wavlink you plug that second charger into your laptop, with a ThunderDock you plug it into the dock. So I guess it saves you a USB C port on your laptop.

What I'd really like to see is a way to power both the GPU and the laptop with one brick. Could one split the power coming from a Dell brick? I guess none of the ADT-Link R43 variants can pass the power on to the NVMe-to-TB3 unit. Would that even be possible with M.2?

@joevt, you mention using a Mean Well PSU in connection with a similar setup ( https://egpu.io/forums/which-gear-should-i-buy/thunderbolt-3-external-drive-slot-m-2-ngff-adapter/paged/6/#post-66913). I guess you'd only use that PSU for the GPU and still rely on a separate laptop charger?

ReplyQuote
fndg
 fndg
(@fndg)

The physical dimensions of the ThunderDock 7 mini are 105mm * 56mm * 20mm. I wonder if the width could be reduced to that of a 2 slot GPU by stripping the case. It would allow a real low volume single cable build.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: @fndg

I guess you'd only use that PSU for the GPU and still rely on a separate laptop charger?

I don't think the Dell brick or Mean Well would be enough for both the GPU and laptop. You would have to choose something larger. Calculate how many watts you need for both.

For the JEYI, you need two power supplies. They can both be internal if you split the AC input. Or maybe you can use one power supply with a DC to PD converter (does such a thing exist?) to power the JEYI/laptop (100W input, 60W to the laptop). The Power supply needs X watts for the GPU.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
fndg
 fndg
(@fndg)

I've ordered & received my ThunderDock 7 mini. I want to use it together with a ADT-Link R43-ML and a 12V PSU, but I haven't managed to get it working yet. First off, the R43-ML is probably not the best ADT-Link model to combine it with, because the M.2 slot is located close to the left edge of the ThunderDock's case, leaving no space for the cable. I guess I could have guessed that by looking at the IO ports of the Jeyi, but without any pictures of the PCB it was hard to tell. So here are some pictures of the PCB, for future reference.

IMG 20210410 111124 resized
IMG 20210410 111256 resized
IMG 20210410 111434 resized
IMG 20210405 182830 resized
IMG 20210405 182847 resized
IMG 20210410 111609 resized

The dock worked when I used an SSD in the M.2 slot. When I plug in the R43-ML instead and hook it up with to my Nvidia GTX 1660 Super the thunderbolt device still registers but no GPU is listed as present. I don't know if the issue is with the ADT-Link, the GPU, my custom cables (unlikely though, as I tested them with a volt meter), or the combination of the Jeyi and the ADT-Link. I'll try to test the GPU on a friend's motherboard (I don't have a desktop), and try to connect the R43-ML directly to the M.2 slot in my T480 to hunt down the bug, but it's a bit mysterious.

Update: so after trying all possible combinations it seems that the M.2 connector of the Jeyi is dead. The R43-ML connected to the T480 directly works just fine and the GPU does too. I tried again with an SSD and it doesn't work. The Jeyi's blue led comes on but the green one to indicate disk activity stays off. Really disappointing; not sure if something came lose (doesn't look like it from visual inspection). I'll get in touch with their customer support and try to work something out, meanwhile any suggestions are welcome.

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
 of  2