Radeon RX 5700 XT w/ Razer Core X crashes under heavy load

Notifications
Clear all

Radeon RX 5700 XT w/ Razer Core X crashes under heavy load  

RSS

nebbiolo
(@nebbiolo)

TLDR at the bottom

I’ve been using a Razer Core X + Radeon RX 5700 XT combo in both Mac OS and Windows Boot Camp for a little under a year and it’s been working really well up until I started playing the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. It’s an incredible graphics intense game, and when the GPU gets pushed it just crashes completely, shutting down my MacBook. This will happen every once in a while and it’s very frustrating.

In Radeon Settings I tried doing the auto undervolt setting, and that seems to stabilize things, at least for the most part. I think I only had about one crash when playing with the card undervolted. Just to see how bad it could get, I then tried auto overclocking the card instead, plus turning all the graphics settings to ultra in MSFS, and it would crash within a few minutes every time I tried playing.

The 5700 XT is officially supported by the Razer Core X, but I’ve read somewhere that the card has a recommended power supply of 600W, while the Razer Core X only supplies 500W. So assuming this is the culprit, I ran the game at max settings with the card overclocked while carefully monitoring the power usage graph in Radeon Settings Metrics to see if perhaps a spike in power could cause the crashes. However, the power graph was showing somewhere between 100W and 180W most of the time, spiking around 200W at some points, but I never saw it go higher, so it seems odd to me that even if it got up to say 250W that it would be enough to cause a crash?

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Do I simply need more W to be able to use the 5700 XT at full capacity, or could something else be at fault here?

TLDR: When maxing out graphics in MSFS, my Razer Core X + 5700 XT crashes completely and shuts down my MacBook and I don’t know why.

2018 MacBook Pro 13" TouchBar 16GB RAM + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon RX5700XT + LG 4K 27UK850

ReplyQuote
Heratiki
(@heratiki)

@nebbiolo, Those recommended PSU wattages are based on a full desktop PC and not an eGPU setup.  If you're using the eGPU to provide power to a laptop then you'll be limiting the power supply for sure but the 5700 XT (even the XFX Thicc III) comes in at generally under 350W full load.  I don't think its power delivery for you.  Could be heat maybe? Have you monitored temps?  Or it could be MSFS just not liking the eGPU and causing the crash.

Late 2016 MBP 15" Radeon Pro 460 + Razer Core X + AMD R9-380 (RX 5700 XT in a few days) - Not currently working in Windows but works in macOS Catalina

ReplyQuote
Pedro Ferrarini
(@pedro_ferrarini)

@heratiki

Please let me know if you can help me?

I have a Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650 (TB3) + ADM Radeon 5700 XT 8GB from GIGABYTE, with the exactly path number of Sonnets TechSpecs manual, but the iMac is shutting down when I do “heavy" renders.

My computer is a iMac 27” i5 2017 3.8GHz and I just upgraded to CATALINA 10.15.7 but the problem continue.

Follows attach the problems report error to you help me to solve this Shutting Down problem.

*** MCA Error Report ***

CPU Machine Check Architecture Error Dump (CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600K CPU @ 3.80GHz, CPUID: 0x906E9)

CATERR detected! No MCA data found.

. . .

I really appreciated if you help me to solve this problem.
Thanks!!!

TLDR: When maxing out graphics, my Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650 + AMD RADEON 5700 XT  crashes completely and shuts down my iMAC 27" 2017 3.8GHz and I don’t know why.

Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650 + AMD Radeon 5700 XT + iMAC 27"
2017 + Catalina 10.15.7

ReplyQuote