Notifications
Clear all

Razer Core USB problems  

of  2
  RSS

OtaXou
(@otaxou)

Hey guys,

I was waiting for years for a concept such as eGPU to finally exists. I bought the EU Razer Blade Stealth (i7 7500 U 8 go) fully intending to get the Razer Core once I had the money.

Then I heard on Reddit that it had USB problems, and that this fonctionnality was unusable as of right now. So I contacted Razer support to see if it was just random internet rumblings (internet is a dark place after all) or if it was a general issue. They answered me by saying that they didn't understand why everyone was talking about this issue because there internal tests showed no problems at all, and I shouldn't be concerned and blablabla.

So I ordered mine from the Razer Store (no choice because I live in France). And my ordered was canceled almost immediatly for a lack of stock. I then found (miracle !) a used one and bought this one instead for 400€ (instead of 600€).

Just received it, and behold ! USB problems right of the bat. I can't connect my mouse and keyboard without the mouse constantly lagging. I quickly did some tests and found that one USB port is pretty stable, with some occasionnal hiccups, but everything else fails. What I also found was that everytime I connect my Razer keyboard or mouse on an other USB port as the stable one, Synapse won't recognize it and it basically functions thanks to the basic drivers found in Windows 10.

I lurked around here for a long time by now, and I know you guys are pretty savvy on the stuff. The GPU works great, no problems on that, but I'm pretty fixed on having only cable to plug to have my battle station ready, and then unplugging it to watch my videos in my bed. I tried installing and uninstalling drivers for Thunderbolt 3, changing the Thunderbolt security levels on the BIOS, manually force the installation of the right drivers for the plugged devices but nothing seem to work.

I was wondering if by any chance you knew the source of the problem, and how to fix it ? I don't mind a little modding to get it done, I just hope you have some knowledge on the subject Smile

Thanks ! 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

I can test whether USB is an issue on the Blade Stealth when paired with the Razer Core in the next few days and let you know. Feel free to post a request for update if you see nothing from me or other members by the end of this week.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
OtaXou
(@otaxou)

That would be cool, thanks Smile

From what I gathered online, people seem to think that USB ports are underpowered and/or that GPU + USB can't be handled properly by the Core.

Right now, my setup is Razer Core with the stock cable + MSI GeForce 1060 3gb + keyboard DeathStalker Chroma (so with RGB) + mouse Deathadder (also with RGB).

After work I'll try and see if deactivating RGB helps reduce the lag, as it would point towards a lack of power delivered from the USB, and try reinstalling the CPU and GPU drivers offered by Razer directly to see if they've done any modifications that would make it work flawlessly (although I doubt it). I'll also try the Core without the GPU installed to see if it changes anything. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

That's a good plan. Definitely post updates as you make progress along the way.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

OtaXou liked
ReplyQuote
OtaXou
(@otaxou)

Just out of curiosity... Is USB an issue when you connect the Razer Core to a different Windows PC, or even a MacBook ? I seem to recall you made it run on a MacBook but I could be mistaken.

It would point towards a driver problem of some sort after all. 

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

That's why Sonnet and Akitio are launching eGPUs with no USB... and this issue cannot be resolved by drivers. I suggest you to contact Razer support .

Meantime, you can try a workaround: use wireless keyboard/mouse combo, and have that small transmitter always connected directly to your laptop.

ReplyQuote
Dare
 Dare
(@dare)

Is it a bandwidth issue? I wouldn't think the TB3 connection would be saturated unless the core is sending data back to an internal screen. Does the mouse still lag when the gpu is outputting to an external monitor?

Might this be an issue with the TI82 board used by the Core? It hasn't been mentioned as an issue by any of the Mantiz Venus reviewers, as far as I know.

ReplyQuote
OtaXou
(@otaxou)

Razer support is not an option for me : as I said, I bought it used. 

The Core is connected to an external monitor via Display Port. It doesn't seem to be linked but I'll try out if using the PC monitor itself changes anything.

I spent my night trying everything : with or without the GPU installed, I have the same issue.

Finally I cracked and reset my system. Now the Razer Core is installed properly and I've got none of the earlier issues with the drivers and my peripherals not being recognized by Synapse.

But still... The issue persists. Mouse lagging, keyboard lagging...

That's exactly what I'm wondering Dare and why I came here. The motherboard should be fine and no other enclosure seems to have this problem so..  It might be a driver situation here. Sadly I tried everything I got and I have nothing.

Of course I could use one USB 1 port on my laptop itself to power them with a hub (which is working btw) but... That's not the point, is it ? 😛

I have an other issue that I didn't mention by the way : when I power down my computer, my GPU fans start spinning at 100% speed and all I can do is unplug the Core. Which, well, effectively kills its capacity to recharge my laptop if I'm not using it.

Is there any sort of Core BIOS or anything that we can access ? I'm left wondering.

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

What is you GPU in the Core? What Graphics Drivers are you using?

ReplyQuote
OtaXou
(@otaxou)

I use the MSI GeForce 1060 3GT OC. I installed the official Nvidia driver offered by Razer on their website (in case there were specific modifications for the Core), before updating it to the latest stable version available upon request.

I updated the computer to the Creators Update last night, and now a "Base system Device" is detected as well as every functionnality of the Core being detected separately. The listing of devices connected to my station now shows Audio Device, Razer Core, Base system device, video controller and USB hub.

It was the same at the time I wrote my first post. I then proceeded to reinstall the system and only "Razer core" showed when I installed it on Win 10 Anniversary. And it separated the peripherals again once Creators Update was installed. It could be nothing, but I could swear it performed better on Anniversary. 

ReplyQuote
 of  2