Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Razer Core X Chroma insufficient Power to run MSI Trio X Gaming RTX 2080 Ti

Razer Core X Chroma insufficient Power to run MSI Trio X Gaming RTX 2080 Ti  

RSS

herriwanglai
(@herriwanglai)

I bought Razer Core X Chroma and installed MSI Trio X Gaming RTX 2080 Ti. The card fit in the enclosure, however there is only 2 power cable from PSU, while MSI Trio need 3 cable. I purchase cable splitter, but not every pin fit in but the Core X can power up and get recognized in my Blade 14.
But I can't change my GPU from dGPU to RTX 2080 because of power insufficient.

The spec for MSI Trio power consumption is 300W, while Razer Core X Chroma come with 650W. So I think this is the problem with power cable in Core X PSU.

I've contact Razer CS, this is their reply :

Unfortunately, it appears that the graphics card you are currently using is not compatible with the Razer Core X Chroma. On our official support site, the Razer Core X can supply a maximum of 500W to a graphics card. The GPU you would like to install in your Core X Chroma requires a 650W power supply, which is already beyond the capabilities of the Core X Chroma.

So right now I'm confused whether this is power connector cable splitter problem or that Core X can't drive RTX 2080Ti card.
Do I need to change the PSU or anything?

Razer Blade 14(late 2014)
Razer Core X Chroma
MSI Trio X Gaming RTX 2080Ti

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: @herriwanglai

But I can't change my GPU from dGPU to RTX 2080 because of power insufficient.

How did you come up with this conclusion?

Your card is rated at 300W. As it is driven by 2x8-pin and 1x6-pin PCIe connectors, it's theoretic highest power draw is 450W. A Core X Chroma is specced sufficiently to power this card:

• Built-In Power Supply: Includes a 700W ATX PSU with 100W laptop charging via -Thunderbolt 3; GPU max power support up to 500W

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10

ReplyQuote
herriwanglai
(@herriwanglai)

I was taking in account that the power connectors wasn't fit, but let's say it's not power delivery problem.
Razer Core X Chroma PSU have 2x8-pin, MSI Trio X Gaming have 2x8-pin and 1x6-pin.
I was using unfit(wrong) power connector cable splitter that have 2 pin that can't fit in the card. If I don't use the cable splitter, the Core X, the card won't power up.
Still looking for the splitter with right pin.
The Razer GpuSwitcher detect the card but won't let you change to the card(Error 42) and Nvidia GeForce Experience keep crashing whenever I force change it to RTX, so I can't install the driver.

Razer Blade 14(late 2014)
Razer Core X Chroma
MSI Trio X Gaming RTX 2080Ti

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @herriwanglai

I was using unfit(wrong) power connector cable splitter that have 2 pin that can't fit in the card. If I don't use the cable splitter, the Core X, the card won't power up.

Usually an 8 pin will be split into a 6 pin+2 pin so that it can fit into a 6 pin connector.

https://www.amazon.com/Express-Graphics-Splitter-Extension-TeamProfitcom/dp/B07B4779M2/

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

To my knowledge the Trio's cards belong to the msi high end "lightning" cards family, with higher peak power consumption limit and come with 2*8pin + 6pin connectors.
The good rule of thumb want you to plug all the 3 connectors on these kind of cards, simply because Nvidia power consumption control is awful.
You don't know how the connectors are wired, if each one have its own control circuit or 2 connectors share the same power plane.

Dunno if the power delivery is your issue here, dunno which adapter you bought, but it should be enough to at least run the card with the 3 connector plugged without error.
If the power delivery is an issue, it is not about if the PSU is enough for the card, but rather if the card sensing circuit detect correctly the PSU, even with the adapter.

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The Core X Chroma could run my overclocked RX Vega 64 LC without issues. It should be able to handle the MSI Trio X Gaming RTX 2080 Ti. You can get a Y-splitter PCIe power adapter to feed one more 6-pin PCIe plug to the card.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
uhzyaj
(@uhzyaj)

I also just bought this combo. The stuff have not arrived but will test and find out and post here. It is a beast of a card and with a splitter I believe it should be able to run it as did the computer guy who assisted me.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote