(@rui_wang)

Posted by: @abdoul_ndiaye

Hello @herriwanglai and @uhzyaj,

I have a similar configuration:

- MacBook pro-15-inch 2018

- Razer Core X Chroma

- MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080Ti GAMING X TRIO 

- A small adapter 8pin PCI Express to 2 X PCIe 8

I was able to install the drivers and use the RTX 2080Ti on a 4k screen.

Nvidia GeForce Experience works well. 

I haven't tried to install Razer GpuSwitcher on my computer.

Hi, @Abdoul ndiaye, I just got a chroma core x with msi 2080ti trio x and even with a splitter the gpu just won’t power up, I’m using a Razer blade 15 by the way.

May I know if it has something to do with my splitter? My situation was like if I connect the two heads from Core X to the gpu the lights will turn on, core x is recognised by the laptop. But if I use the splitter and then connect to the laptop, nothing happens. 

many thanks!

razer blade 15 advanced 2019
razer core x chroma
msi 2080ti trio x

ReplyQuote
Calvin Or
(@calvin_or)

@rui_wang, what kind of an adaptor are you using? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
olyvers26
(@olyvers26)

Hey @abdoul_ndiaye, @nando4

I finally find a discussion on this subject.

I have the razer core x , and a very appealing offer for an  RTX 3080 suprim. I'm however in the same situation , the card has 3x 8 pin connection.

the link for the addapter is not available for sale anymore, is that adapter one and the same with this one? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08Z8FXR1H/

there is also this adapter here 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08KP9R92V/

specifing below that *This is a GPU 8 pin to GPU 8 pin splitter cable (GPU to GPU), not a CPU 8 pin to 2 X PCIe 8 cable (CPU to GPU), both are very similar Masu.*

What adapter do you guys think i should buy, and if it will work in the first place with this card. (I wouldn't want to buy something that doesn't work).

Thanks to anyone in the comunity who can provide advice.

Dell G3 + AORUS GTX 1080 Gaming Box, Lenovo Thinkpad X230 + EXP GDC 8.5C + GTX 460, Dell G3+Razer Core X + Asus Rog Strix 2080 ti

ReplyQuote
valuat
(@valuat)

@olyvers26, I'm in the same situation. Will buy a splitter tomorrow and let you know.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
olyvers26
(@olyvers26)

@valuat

Did you manage to make it work,

I tried it with Gygabite RTX 2080 ti Aorus Gaming OC, and Zotac 2080 ti AMP (both with 2x8pin connexion) they are both recognised (friend's cards not for sale unfortunately), however could't work on RTX 3080 TI Gaming X Trio (3x 8 Pin), and ROG Strix 3080. Te 3080 FE worked however.

I hope others will publish successful  installs with 3x8pin GPUs.

This post was modified 5 months ago

Dell G3 + AORUS GTX 1080 Gaming Box, Lenovo Thinkpad X230 + EXP GDC 8.5C + GTX 460, Dell G3+Razer Core X + Asus Rog Strix 2080 ti

ReplyQuote
valuat
(@valuat)

Hey @olyvers26,

I'm glad to report it WORKED. After connecting the adapter, lspci started showing the NVIDIA GPU. The 460 driver installed fine and nvidia-smi is displaying the expected info.

I haven't yet installed cuda, PyTorch etc. but will do so on Friday. I'm moving today so nothing will get done on the eGPU front.

This is the cable I'm using, by the way: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JR4H3N . I split the "R3" connector of the Razer Core X Chroma. I'm planning on submitting the build as soon as I can with all the details.

Cheers

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
olyvers26
(@olyvers26)

@valuat, Thank you much appreciated, wait to see full post with the setup and cables connected. Which GPU did you put in by the way?

ReplyQuote
valuat
(@valuat)

@olyvers26

MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Gaming Trio (3 x 8-pin).

ReplyQuote
 of  2