Razer Core X Chroma & RTX 3080 12-pin compatability?

Notifications
Clear all

Razer Core X Chroma & RTX 3080 12-pin compatability?  

of  2
  RSS

sammy5gs
(@sammy5gs)

Hey Guys, been having a hard time trying find definitive speculation 🙂 about this, but was wondering since I own a Razer Core X Chroma eGPU enclosure and have successfully used it with an RTX 2070 GPU if I would not be able to by one of the upcoming RTX 3080/3090 GPUs with the 12 pin connectors?

I had attempted to ask Razer support about this, but they were mum and did not want to provide any concrete information since the GPUs have not been released yet.  

Anywho, I don't know if a pin adapter is viable, or if anyone intending on purchasing an RTX 3080 will be forced to buy a new eGPU enclosure.  

Any guidance would be most welcome!  Thanks!  

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@sammy5gs

Don’t worry, pin adapters will be available.  

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
bmagnien
(@bmagnien)
Trusted Member

@sammy5gs, were you able to track down any additional information? I also spent a long time with Razer support and couldn't get any straight answer either. From my understanding, the founder's edition 3090 will ship with an adapter for the 12 pin, which I believe will take 2-8 pin and convert to 12-pin. The razer core is supposedly compatible with cards up to 500w, but don't ask me how they would have actually supplied this before with only 2 8-pins available (150w each) plus the PCI slot (75w). Everything I'm gathering is that there's no reason this SHOULDN'T work...the 3090 is sized to fit in the case, we have 2 8-pins to convert to the 12 pin, and the core supports up to 500w when the 3090 has a TGP of 350w, and hopefully can be overclocked to much higher. Fingers crossed it all works...

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
sammy5gs
(@sammy5gs)

@bmagnien, negative. They were mum. 

I think power will be ok for 3080 but I wanted them to confirm length since 3080s are a few cms longer than 2080s. 

All they did was point me to the stale list of compatible GPUs  

I definitely don’t think 3090s would work since that beast looks like it needs two eGPUs slot wise and power wise - probably something Razer will do to make more money. 

ReplyQuote
bmagnien
(@bmagnien)
Trusted Member

@sammy5gs, actually the 3090 FE will fit: The Razer Core says it holds up to:

Length : 12.99”/ 330 mm
Height: 6.29” / 160 mm
Width : 2.36” / 60 mm

The 3090 FE is:

Length :  12.3" (313 mm)
Height: 5.4" (138 mm)
Width : 3-Slot (I'll have to confirm but I believe 3-slot is typically 60mm...it *might* be 65mm but I'll track down that info

The 3090 FE will take 2 8-pin connectors that the Razer Core X has and include an adapter to connect to its 12-pin connector. It says it requires a 750w psu vs the Razer Core's 650w, but that's for an entire PC case, so I'm hoping the Razer Core X will work. There's also the option of the Mantiz Saturn Pro that @itsage recommended which I'm following closely over here: https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/unboxing-mantiz-saturn-pro-thunderbolt-3-egpu-enclosure/paged/1/

The Mantiz comes with 3 8-pins which will work with something like the newly-announced EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra ( https://www.evga.com/articles/01434/evga-geforce-rtx-30-series/ ) which takes 3 8-pins and is sized at: 

Length: 11.81in. (300mm)
Height: 5.38in. (136.75mm)
Width: 2.75 slots

The Mantiz has a 750w PSU but I'm awaiting final confirmation of internal size to see if it'll physically fit, I believe it will though. 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@bmagnien, Here's a top view of the GPU mounting bracket area showing possible max width. For safe clearance, I'd say it's about 2-2.15in (51 to 55mm).

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
bmagnien
(@bmagnien)
Trusted Member

@itsage, Thank you SO much for taking the time to do this! It looks like it's going to be a VERY tight fit, I got official word from EVGA and their card is 2.19in. (55.55mm.). If I can get my hands on both the Mantiz Saturn Pro AND the EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3090, which is a VERY big IF, I will let everyone know. What a world! Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
Arizor
(@arizor)
Trusted Member

Thanks all, great info. Does anyone know when/if preorders will be available for any of the 3-series cards (from any manufacturer)?

2019 16-inch MacBook Pro Retina (2.3ghz Intel i9) // Radeon 5500M (8GB).
MacOS Catalina // Bootcamp Win10 2004 (Build 19041).
Razer Core X // Vega 64 // 2m Active Thunderbolt cable.

ReplyQuote
bmagnien
(@bmagnien)
Trusted Member

@arizor, The founders editions are available direct from Nvidia's site on: Sept. 17 (3080), Sept 24 (3090), 'October' (3070). There are no preorders, and no further details as to when exactly on those days. 3rd party cards are 'expected' to be available on those dates as well, but same deal, no preorders, no exact time. Prices for FE are here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/?nvid=nv-int-gfhm-10484#cid=_nv-int-gfhm_en-us

No prices for any of the AIBs so far, and supposedly won't be available until the day of (according to EVGA staff on their forums).

ReplyQuote
Arizor
(@arizor)
Trusted Member

Thanks @bmagnien , though it doesn't look like NVIDIA will ship to Australia, damn my luck 🙁

2019 16-inch MacBook Pro Retina (2.3ghz Intel i9) // Radeon 5500M (8GB).
MacOS Catalina // Bootcamp Win10 2004 (Build 19041).
Razer Core X // Vega 64 // 2m Active Thunderbolt cable.

ReplyQuote
 of  2