Razer Core X with AMD Radeon RX 5700 disconnecting after 2 minutes

Notifications
Clear all

Razer Core X with AMD Radeon RX 5700 disconnecting after 2 minutes  

RSS

Austin Evans
(@austin_evans)

I had no problems with my setup for about a year, but now for the past few months, I'm having issues with the eGPU. After almost exactly two minutes, my monitors connected through the GPU will stop displaying content. This first started happening on my MacBook Pro (5-inch, 2018, 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7). I thought the issue was related to Big Sur.

I have also tried the same setup with a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 and am experiencing the same issue (also using a different monitor). After almost exactly two minutes, the monitor disconnects and the driver software says disconnected. The Thunderbolt manager says the Core is still connected and the fan usually still runs.

I don't have another graphics card to try to use in the Core to test further. I'm not even sure if this is an issue with the Core or the graphics card itself. I really thought it would be a software issue given the two minute precision, but given it happens on both MacOS and Windows, that seems unlikely.

Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Bad TB3 cable, video card, video cable? Swap out parts until it works.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Austin Evans
(@austin_evans)

@nando4. Thanks for the response. I've tried different thunderbolt cables and different video cables. I guess my next step is to track down a new graphics card to try. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
TheGreen
(@thegreen)

Hi!

I recently got myself a Clevo NS51 (i7-1165g7) and I have gotten mixed results while trying to use my   Akitio Node Pro   with it.

At first it would connect and get detected out of the box, but it would work for 5/15 minutes and then freeze my computer until I disconnected the TBT cable, at which point it would come back. This got solved (for those who may be facing the same issue, you need to turn off PCIe Link State Power Management) and I got uptimes of up to 20h, however now the eGPU will, out of nowhere, cease to be detected. All my external displays will not be detected by Windows, the laptop will no longer receive charge from the eGPU, the Thunderbolt Control Center will show nothing plugged into Port 1, and the eGPU box will behave as if no PC was connected to it (with the power indicator on, but all fans off). It is worth noting that the nVidia tray icon would remain there.

If I attempt a reboot at this stage, it will start the reboot process and then BSOD with a power state error.

I see no usage pattern causing this behavior, but anecdotally the last time it happened, the eGPU disconnected right as I opened PowerBI Desktop (although I havent found any hits on the web suggesting that there might be an issue there).

Ideas?

Thank you all in advance.

PD: when my 2x32GB RAM kit arrives, I'll post some benchmarks.

EDIT: While troubleshooting it has become apparent that launching any program that requires a significant amount of RAM to function is likely to cause this behavior. Even reopening a browser session has caused it.

Clevo NS50 i7-1165G7 32GB + Akitio Node Pro w/ GTX 1660 (AMA while I haven't a build posted)

ReplyQuote