Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Setting up Mac Pro 2013 with Sonnet 650 and AMD WX8200

[Solved] Setting up Mac Pro 2013 with Sonnet 650 and AMD WX8200  

RSS

(@nectarios_procopiou)

Hi 

Having trouble setting up my Mac Pro late 2013 on Mojave 10.14.6 with the Sonnet 650 and AMD WX8200. Tried without installing anything and didn't work. So ran the purge wrangler 6.0.1 

All seemed good - 

External GPU Radeon PRO WX 8100/8200

GPU Arch Vega 10 

Thunderbolt 2

Ti82 Enclosure No

Backing up...

Backup complete.

Patching for AMD eGPUs...

Patches applied.

Detecting anomalies...

Detected System GPUs:

AMD FirePro D700

AMD FirePro D700

No anomalies expected.

Sanitizing system...

System sanitized.

Modifications complete.

Reboot to apply changes.

Rebooting..

But no joyAny help greatly apprreciated. Thank you

This topic was modified 1 month ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@nectarios_procopiou

I presume you have plugged in all power cables in GPU. Share screenshot of system info > Graphics/Displays with eGPU connected. Use port 5 or 6 for egpu.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@nectarios_procopiou)

@mac_editor

Fantastic thank you. Yes now i have connected it to port 5 and it works.

Mac sees the card as the radeon vega. On looking at the gpu activity one of the D700 seems to be working a lot more than any other card on playing back 4K video in premiere. Can i attach a printscreen in this forum? Thanks

Actually i'll take that back, after restarting premiere the card seems to be showing more activity.

This post was modified 1 month ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@nectarios_procopiou To get the most utilization out of the eGPU, you should connect the monitor/s directly to the back of the eGPU instead of the nMP.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@nectarios_procopiou)

@itsage

Thank you.
My main screen is plugged into the sonnet / egpu,  i have a usb portable screen i use to see mail, not sure if that can take away the effectiveness.

I have premiere set to metal rendering. Am using the display cable as oppose to the hdmi, not sure if hdmi is better for the screen.

i chose the wx8200 over the wx9100 due to price, hope there isnt much in it. I am not doing any 3d work just 4k video editing.

Thanks again for the advise.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@nectarios_procopiou DisplayPort cable is best for connecting a monitor in macOS. Which version of Adobe Premiere are you using and how do you set it to Metal Rendering? I checked in Preferences but couldn’t quite locate the settings for GPU. Last but not least, the Vega drivers in macOS don’t really distinguish the performance between WX 8200 vs WX 9100. 

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@nectarios_procopiou)

Thanks. CC2018 - 12.1.1 i think. The rendering is found in file project settings. Not quite sure why it isnt in preferences.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote