Small eGPU recommendations for RP WX5100

Notifications
Clear all

Small eGPU recommendations for RP WX5100  

RSS

DrEGPU
(@dregpu)
Trusted Member

As the title says, I'm looking for recommendations on a small eGPU for a AMD RP WX 5100. It's a single slot GPU that's powered only from the PCIe slot. 

I've looked through the buyer's guide and found some eGPU's are no longer for sale and it's hard to find them and for others, it seems like they've been altered a little bit in terms of power bricks or whatnot. Basically, I'm thoroughly confused as to what I should do. My use case is to use this eGPU for a hackintosh build I'm building. There aren't enough slots left on the motherboard for the GPU and there's no iGPU with the CPU I'm using (AMD 3960X, if you're curious). The GPU isn't for games or rendering. It's just to drive a 4K monitor so I can do some esoteric pytorch coding in the terminal app and maybe watch a movie or surf the web while CPU does it's thing. 

I'm confused as to whether the Akitio Node Lite or Thunder3 will work as turnkey solution. I was also thinking about the highpoint rocketstor, but it's in short supply and I'm not sure that will work either. 

MBP 2018 16 inch + Razer Core X@40Gbps-TB1 (Zotac RTX 2080 Ti Amp) + Ubuntu 20.04, Win10

2011 13" MacBook Pro [2nd,2C,M] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Razer Core X) + Linux Ubuntu 18.04.02 LTS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@dregpu, How do you plan on getting Thunderbolt 3 connection working on the TRX40 platform? The AKiTiO Lite/Thunder3 provide only 25W through the PCIe slot. If you have a spare M.2 you can look into ADT-Link R43SG.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
DrEGPU
(@dregpu)
Trusted Member

@itsage I was under the impression that TB3 worked OK with AMD CPU's, if you use the Titan Ridge card, which I have. I would prefer the eGPU, because when I boot into Linux, I can disconnect the AMD GPU and connect external storage, if needed. I get that hotswap might not work or wake from sleep will crash or something, but I'm not too concerned since I'll boot with the AMD attached and I don't plan on letting my machine sleep. 

Interesting thought about the ADT-Link! I hadn't considered that possibility.

I meant to ask if the ADT-link can be powered with just a single 8-pin power connecter (ie 75W?). The Dell DA-2? That's all my card really needs, but I'm worried about overhead (power loss through resistance, connectors, etc). 

MBP 2018 16 inch + Razer Core X@40Gbps-TB1 (Zotac RTX 2080 Ti Amp) + Ubuntu 20.04, Win10

2011 13" MacBook Pro [2nd,2C,M] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Razer Core X) + Linux Ubuntu 18.04.02 LTS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@dregpu, The GC-TITAN-RIDGE TB3 AIC can work but I'm not sure how reliable it will be for a Hackintosh as the primary graphics card through Thunderbolt 3 connection. That's a lot of of unsupported configurations combined into one. I have only used the ADT-Link R43SG through a DA-2 so I'm unsure how it might work with an 8-pin from ATX PSU.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
DrEGPU
(@dregpu)
Trusted Member

Well, shame on me! Turns out the 3rd gen Ryzen Threadrippers (3960X, 3970X, 3990X) aren't supported yet by any hackintosh method. 

ReplyQuote