Sonnet 350w firmware from Apple dev kit?

Notifications
Clear all

Sonnet 350w firmware from Apple dev kit?  

of  2
  RSS

DrDubya
(@drdubya)

Does anyone have access or the capability to get hold of the firmware from the dev kit so it can be flashed to the standard 350w retail version? With only 4 full speed ports on MacBooks, it's a little tight when connecting the Oculus.
I could really do with the extra port and if we could potentially upgrade the PSU with a custom firmware unlocking 80w+ (just throwing that out there :).

Any help would be appreciated.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
DrDubya
(@drdubya)

B.t.w I have contacted Sonnet asking for the file and was told that it was not possible for customers to update the firmware.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
JDug
 JDug
(@jdug)
Eminent Member

I tried the same thing.  I upgraded my dev kit's PSU to a 650W and was hoping I would be able to flash to the 550 firmware so it would support charging for my 15in MBP but Sonnett claimed the same thing, that you cannot do it.  When I pushed them more I get the impression they just do not want you to do it and not that it is impossible.  They would not even supply download links to the firmware to try.  I wish someone would be able to get a hold of the firmware and we could at least try.

ReplyQuote
kezzor
(@kezzor)

I got the firmware file, but need a flashing tool. Does anyone have an idea?  PN plz! 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@kezzor Try this version of the Intel Thunderbolt FW Update Tool. Make sure you have Intel Thunderbolt Software version [16.2.55.275] as well. Please let us know how it goes.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
kezzor
(@kezzor)

16.2.55.275 doesnt recognize the controller so I tried with  17.2.71.2 - NUC6i7KYK-Thunderbolt-3-Firmware-Update-Tool-Version-27 started properly but after chosing the .bin file a failure pops up: "Error: 0x21D SDK_MODEL_MISMATCH The image file is for another product model" 

any ideas?

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I recall the Intel FW Update Tool checks for matching model name before it can proceed with flashing. Can you share the enclosure name this firmware was assigned to?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
kezzor
(@kezzor)

I don't know its exact name but it should be the one for discontinued "Apple External Graphics Development Kit" here. I asked Sonnet to get the FW Image v 25.1

Firmware's file name which was sent to me: "Sonnet_Breakaway_Box_Developer_Edition_AR_EP_A68_B1_rev25_W_TI83_3p61_SEC1_sign.bin"

Some additional info:

GetTopology - Prints all connected devices in a hierarchical format grouped by controller and port, ordered and
numbered by position in the chain and includes UUID, vendor name, model name, controller number and
number of controllers in the device (formatted as X/N), if it's updatable, NVM version and CIO link speed
(in Gbps). Here is an example:
<ControllerID> <NVMVersion>
Port 1:
<position> <UUID> <VendorName> <ModelName> <ControllerNumber>/<NumberOfControllers> <Updatable> <NVMVersion> <LinkSpeed>

fwupdatecmd GetTopology

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15EB&SUBSYS_00008086&REV_06\6&1c9b33b2&0&000000E4_0 34.00
Port #1:
1 ec797000:00084f42:ffffffff:ffffffff Sonnet Technologies, Inc. eGFX Breakaway Box 1/1 True 25.00 40

@admin: I'm not able to send PN, could you please unlock my account? thx!

ReplyQuote
kezzor
(@kezzor)

no ideas?

ReplyQuote
kezzor
(@kezzor)

@itsage - I can send you the file !

ReplyQuote
 of  2