Sonnet Breakaway 650 Box - refurbished with damages
I just received my Sonnet Breakaway Box 650 from Amazon.fr refurbished, "good condition", got it for 256 EUR. It is the first time Amazon disappoints me with regards to the stated condition of a refurbished product.
The unit has the HighPower PSU instead of the Enermax but I have understood that is normal, I thought first it had been replaced. The cables are missing (AC and TB3) which is still OK with me, but the main worrying point is that it has some impacts on the upper structure as my pictures below show.
For those that own this series: Could it be that the first buyer had troubles closing the unit and decided to straighten the crossbeam? Is your unit difficult to close? Mine still is...
That would mean that I can trust the general condition of the unit and that the owner only tried to improve this. The outside aspect of the unit is otherwise immaculate.
Please let me know your opinion wether I should send it back or not. I can get the 550 W version for 295 EUR only this weekend, new, and it suffices for the Nitro+ RX 5700 XT I am receiving early next week.
Thanks to both.
Some new information:
- The 550 W Breakaway Box I thought I could get for 295 EUR is finally at 321 EUR, or 316 at another reseller I just found.
- That also means that I am not in a hurry to decide if I am going to keep it, the prices are not a Cyber Monday sale anymore. Return window is until end of January, for the 650 W one.
- I could also close the box, by flattening the damaged edge with a small vice. The outside is fine, the electronics seem untouched.
I suppose you will still suggest I change for the 550 W one. The advantages that brings the bigger one are in my mind:
- More margin on the PSU, the PSU fan seems bigger than on the smaller I understood, the box fan is also a bit better it is said on another post.
- Cheaper and already at home.
The new one would mean:
- More peace of mind, a proper guarantee (although I prefer Amazon even if it is refurbished than any other reseller)
- New product, with all that that entails.
Will I be able to see in few weeks if the former owner has in any manner functionally damaged the unit or found any problem that made hime return it in the first month? Probably not. I can always wait and see if there is any offer in this two months and make the change if it is the case.
What do you think? I normally do not spend so much time to save just 50 EUR really, and I should not make you lose yours. But any advice is welcome.
I ordered the 550 W version, new, from Macway.com as you advised me. For 305 EUR finally, shipping included.
The refurbished one is back on its way to amazon.
I think I understand now why my original box was damaged in that way (see the pic above): The first owner wanted to get a full length graphic card inside and did not find other way than opening up the metallic frames to get it from the top! It cannot be other reason.
Anyway, after getting the new 550 box, I managed to get my brand new Nitro+ RX 5700 XT in but I had to disassemble the fan first. He was a more direct man than me, he is right, why use brains if a hammer can do it?
My build did not work at the beginning, the card was recognised but after one short minute it would eject itself. After rechecking all connections (power + PCIe bus, nothing bulged a bit but who knows) and changing the TB3 port to the one further away from the HDMI it became stable, until now.
The build is very silent, even at full load. Next is checking my Bootcamp W10 installation, I have not used it since I changed to the 2018 Mac mini and my KFA2 SNPR 1060 eGPU was not supported anymore on the Mac side.