Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 / Sapphire Radeon RX580 Nitro+ Special Edition 8GB Power connectors?  

NostromoUK
(@nostromouk)
June 19, 2018 3:16 pm  

This has been a great forum for me to learn more about EGPUs, so thank you for being here.

I have installed my RX580 Nitro+ into the Breakaway Box 550 but am unsure which of the power connectors to plug into the GPU.
The Breakaway Box has 2x '6 pin(yellow) and 2 pin (black)' ...whilst the GPU has 6pin and 8 pin connections next to each other.

Can some wise person advise me which connectors I plug into the GPU? 

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
June 19, 2018 3:31 pm  

Those PCIe power cables have 6+2-pin connector. Join one 2-pin to 6-pin and connect them to the 8-pin receptacle on the GPU. Then plug the 6-pin connector to the 6-pin receptacle on the GPU. Let the unused 2-pin hang loose.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

61 external GPU build guides

NostromoUK liked
ReplyQuote
NostromoUK
(@nostromouk)
June 19, 2018 3:45 pm  

A huge thanks for replying, theitsage.

That seemed to be the only way it could connect..but just wanted to make sure before I blew it.

Does it matter in which combination the yellow and black are placed on the GPU? ie: black 2 pin to the left?

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Honorable Member Moderator
June 19, 2018 4:01 pm  

There should only be one way for it to fit due to the shape of the pins, but the extra 2 ground (black) pins should be to the left of the connector (when looking at the connector from behind - the side where the wires enter the connector).

You can see an example here.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

NostromoUK liked
ReplyQuote
NostromoUK
(@nostromouk)
June 19, 2018 4:04 pm  

Thank you, Yukikaze - I realised that may have been a dumb question when I realised it only goes one way!

Again, I appreciate both of your help and answering so quickly. This forum is brilliant.

Have a great day.

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Honorable Member Moderator
June 19, 2018 4:08 pm  

Have fun and game on 🙂

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

NostromoUK liked
ReplyQuote