Notifications
Clear all

Sonnet Breakaway Puck 5500 XT / 5700 Portable Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Enclosure  

of  8
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

I saw these became available late last week. I'm amazed a 5700 GPU can be packed into MXM and works inside the Breakaway Puck footprint. Even more amazing is the internal routing of DP streams to power LG 5K UltraFine through the secondary TB3 port. We're looking at a much smaller and more affordable replacement of Blackmagic eGPU in these newest Breakaway Pucks.

We're also getting expansion ports (two USB-A). It's likely to have a dual Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 controller setup. Power Delivery is 60W. I couldn't find any information on the external power adapter output. Will be interesting to see how the cooling system handle the 5700 version.

https://www.sonnetstore.com/collections/thunderbolt-3/products/egpu-breakaway-puck-5500xt

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

ikir, Mini i5, Eightarmedpet and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

Finally! They’ve made my eGPU. 
now let’s see if I can get one in the uk...

Hope they send you one, really interested to learn more.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@eightarmedpet, Use with the VESA mount, this eGPU is really the smallest option on the market.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage, I think if I got one I’d have it proudly on display. 
This is pretty much the set up I’ve been banging on about for years, only prob is I’ve finally ordered a new monitor... (well, pre ordered the eve). 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
fndg
 fndg
(@fndg)

Any upgrade path or will this turn into a paper weight in a couple of years? MXM GPUs are very hard to source (I think?) and I don't know of anyone attempting to mod a first generation Puck.

Funny this should pop up right now while I'm researching small form factor eGPUs. A solution with an ADT-Link R43ML and a Jeyi ThunderDock strapped to a mini ITX GPU has pretty much the same volume (about 1 litre) but the cost for the dock is only around $150, and you can swap out the GPU when you want. The Puck is neat, for sure, but a mini ITX can look nice too, and with the ThunderDock you get the same functionality. Or save another 30 bucks and go for a Wavlink NVMe or Jeyi Leidian.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@eightarmedpet, The monitor is often overlooked in an eGPU setup but as you dealt first hand with the 1st gen UltraFine 5K, it could be a real headache. I've used many different panel sizes and types and have to say my new favorite is 38" ultrawide IPS 3840 x 1600. LG is the most popular imo but I found a good HP unit, Z38c. It's built like a tank and caters to office/work environment rather than gaming. USB-C port is a real convenience too with 65W PD, and two USB-A for mouse and keyboard.

@fndg While you can swap out the MXM card in the Breakaway Puck, the cost of getting a modern GPU in this form factor is not reasonable. The most appealing feature of this new version is Thunderbolt 3 monitor output which makes me think it's no longer a MXM card inside. The smallest PCIe eGPU board is the PowerColor/VisionTek mini eGFX. I did a build where I took the mainboard out to use with an RTX 2060s sitting on top [build link].

ReplyQuote
Fuzzy
(@fuzzy)

I put one of the 5500 XT's on order. This will be my second eGPU. MY primary setup is an Asus enclosure with an AMD 5700. The plan is to mount this on the underside of a standing desk I use while on a bike trainer in my home gym. I do some light gaming and will connect a 65" 4K TV sometimes to my MacBook Air. Secondary use will be for travel when I start doing that again. The form factor of the puck is the appeal to me and makes it worth the premium price. I'll report my experience with it, but I'm expecting it to be plug and play.

2020 MacBook Air i7 / 4-core 1.2 Ghz / 16GB / 512GB / Sonnet Breakaway Puck 5500 XT / ASUS XG Station Pro : MSI Radeon RX5700 OC Evoke / Mac OS 11.1 Big Sur / Samsung 27” 1440 display

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Fuzzy
(@fuzzy)

The puck came in today. I'm very impressed with the enclosure. It's much smaller than I thought it was going to be. It comes out to be about 20-30% larger than an Apple TV. The mount is perfect and without too much modification I was able to get a clean install underneath my trainer desk. Pictures below for those interested. 

IMG 2263 (2)
IMG 2262 (2)
IMG 2265 (2)
IMG 2264 (2)

2020 MacBook Air i7 / 4-core 1.2 Ghz / 16GB / 512GB / Sonnet Breakaway Puck 5500 XT / ASUS XG Station Pro : MSI Radeon RX5700 OC Evoke / Mac OS 11.1 Big Sur / Samsung 27” 1440 display

ReplyQuote
kurai_kage
(@kurai_kage)

When you get this setup and working, please update the thread as I'd like to hear about your experience.  Will you be using this on the macOS side exclusively or is Window/BootCamp involved too?

I ordered one of these myself today for my son's 2020 13" MBP, and I'm an eGPU newbie, so hopefully I can ride your coattails and avoid any pitfalls you get past.  In my son's case, his device is already running Big Sur 11.1 and he already has Windows 10 Pro setup for lighter gaming.  It will be interesting to try to get this to work well on both sides of the boot loader.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@fuzzy, Very nice and clean mounting it under the desk! Can you post a screen capture in System Information > Thunderbolt? I'm guessing this Breakaway Puck is using Titan Ridge controller in order to route two DP outputs through the secondary Thunderbolt 3 port.

ReplyQuote
 of  8