Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Fuzzy liked
ReplyQuote
Fuzzy
(@fuzzy)

Posted by: @itsage

@fuzzy, Very nice and clean mounting it under the desk! Can you post a screen capture in System Information > Thunderbolt? I'm guessing this Breakaway Puck is using Titan Ridge controller in order to route two DP outputs through the secondary Thunderbolt 3 port.

Here's the thunderbolt info:

Posted by: @kurai_kage

When you get this setup and working, please update the thread as I'd like to hear about your experience.  Will you be using this on the macOS side exclusively or is Window/BootCamp involved too?

I ordered one of these myself today for my son's 2020 13" MBP, and I'm an eGPU newbie, so hopefully I can ride your coattails and avoid any pitfalls you get past.  In my son's case, his device is already running Big Sur 11.1 and he already has Windows 10 Pro setup for lighter gaming.  It will be interesting to try to get this to work well on both sides of the boot loader.

I don't plan to use this with Bootcamp. FWIW the unit was plug-n-play as expected with Big Sur. I don't expect there to be any oddities for you outside of the normal Bootcamp/Windows shenanigans to get any eGPU running.

2020 MacBook Air i7 / 4-core 1.2 Ghz / 16GB / 512GB / Sonnet Breakaway Puck 5500 XT / ASUS XG Station Pro : MSI Radeon RX5700 OC Evoke / Mac OS 11.1 Big Sur / Samsung 27” 1440 display

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@fuzzy, Thank you! It's very similar to the Blackmagic eGPU then with a single Titan Ridge controller that allows internal routing of two DP for Thunderbolt 3 monitor output and also hosts a couple of expansion ports.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
kurai_kage
(@kurai_kage)

Posted by: @fuzzy

Here's the thunderbolt info:

I don't plan to use this with Bootcamp. FWIW the unit was plug-n-play as expected with Big Sur. I don't expect there to be any oddities for you outside of the normal Bootcamp/Windows shenanigans to get any eGPU running.

Good info on the macOS experience and I'm happy to hear that it is effectively plug and play.  Based on various threads it appears that I may need to enable external GPU usage on a per app basis via Get Info, and for Java based apps targeting the Terminal app is necessary. (Minecraft continues to be a high hour game for my kids.)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
sevenup
(@sevenup)
Eminent Member

@fuzzy

Congrats!

Do you have a Windows system to have a test?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Fuzzy
(@fuzzy)

Posted by: @sevenup

@fuzzy

Congrats!

I do not unfortunately. All Mac here. I do have Bootcamp running on my MBP, but not the right Windows build to test eGPU connectivity.

2020 MacBook Air i7 / 4-core 1.2 Ghz / 16GB / 512GB / Sonnet Breakaway Puck 5500 XT / ASUS XG Station Pro : MSI Radeon RX5700 OC Evoke / Mac OS 11.1 Big Sur / Samsung 27” 1440 display

ReplyQuote
sevenup
(@sevenup)
Eminent Member

@fuzzy

Congrats!

I do not unfortunately. All Mac here. I do have Bootcamp running on my MBP, but not the right Windows build to test eGPU connectivity.

Haha Smile  

I will wait until X86/Windows or Apple M1 been tested or official supported this eGPU Wink  

ReplyQuote
Fuzzy
(@fuzzy)

@fuzzy

Congrats!

I ended up doing bootcamp on my MacBook Air and hooked up both my eGPU’s. After a few rebuilds of my bootcamp partition to get the eGPU working it’s stable and I can easily swap between both eGPU’s I have on both Windows and Big Sur. I’m super happy with both setups. I’m probably going to rebuild my MBP bootcamp image to leverage the eGPU’s well. I did some benchmarks on the windows build. I’ll post links later. 

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
sevenup
(@sevenup)
Eminent Member

@fuzzy

Congrats!

I ended up doing bootcamp on my MacBook Air and hooked up both my eGPU’s. After a few rebuilds of my bootcamp partition to get the eGPU working it’s stable and I can easily swap between both eGPU’s I have on both Windows and Big Sur. I’m super happy with both setups. I’m probably going to rebuild my MBP bootcamp image to leverage the eGPU’s well. I did some benchmarks on the windows build. I’ll post links later. 

That is a Great News!

Thanks,dude!

ReplyQuote
Fuzzy
(@fuzzy)

Benchmark result for Windows 10 and the Sonnet Puck 5500 XT on my 2020 Macbook Air i7.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/compute/2236906

ReplyQuote
 of  4