Sonnet Breakaway Puck 5500 XT / 5700 Portable Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Enclosure

Notifications
Clear all

Sonnet Breakaway Puck 5500 XT / 5700 Portable Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Enclosure  

of  4
  RSS

kurai_kage
(@kurai_kage)

@fuzzy, that is really amazing!  I think I'm going to need to dig in this weekend to try to replicate your success.

When I received the device earlier this week I plugged it in, confirmed the system saw it, ran the script to set the eGPU as preferred, and tried out a few of my son's the Mac side games.  He is currently running an up-to-date Catalina, and the Mac game with the most screen time is Minecraft.  Minecraft gave no indication that it was utilizing the 5500 XT Puck and I saw neither report FPS improvements, nor observable differences with or without the puck attached.  I read that Java apps and others that directly launch a binary require Terminal.app to have the eGPU preferred, and I confirmed this was enabled.  I didn't run across any other workarounds.

Next I tried Borderlands 2, and encountered a curious issue where the FPS drops to 1 (from about 50 with the current settings).  I did a bit of reading and found that apparently games created with Wine can suffer/become confused by an eGPU and don't function correctly when attempting to use it.  The recommendations I found suggested running the game in Bootcamp. (not a bad idea...)  Other games I tried on the Mac side didn't take advantage of the Puck in an obvious way, and lacked an FPS counter.

Finally, I booted to Windows and found the GPU reporting Error 12.  I'd already taken up most of my son's evening gaming with friends at this point and gave the computer back to him.  Before I could spend more time another night, my back went out and I've been recovering since.  I plan to spend the weekend digging into the workarounds on this site for Windows.  His device has 20H2 installed (OS build 19042.746). @fuzzy if you have a specific approach that worked for you, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it as I'm quite new to world of eGPUs.  There is a EFI Loader thread with a promising breakdown of steps that includes using DDU and a HackFlags 0x600 Registry Edit that seems to work for a handful of users that I figured I'd start with.

Not sure what else to try on the Mac side, but if I can get Windows working without adding too many extra steps when booting between the OSes, perhaps I can move all of his games over to Windows.  

Thanks in advance for any tips! 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Fuzzy
(@fuzzy)

@kurai_kage

I haven't tried any Java apps so I can't be much help on that front. My best suggestion is to set all the dependencies for Minecraft to prefer the eGPU. Hopefully you can find some more resources on this site. 

You can check if the eGPU is being used by running the Activity Monitor found under Applications>Utilities. Select the GPU tab and you will see which applications are using the Onboard GPU and which are using the eGPU.

To get the windows bootcamp image working I followed the steps outlined by @andygev35 in his excellent write-up found here:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2020-macbook-air-10th4cng-amd-rx-vega-56-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-macos-10-15-4-win10-andygev35/#post-77794

One thing to note is that you'll need to use the Windows image downloadable from this link: https://tb.rg-adguard.net/dl.php?go=cf6b84d9

The link he put in his write-up no longer allows you to download the correct Windows 10 build. I had to rebuild my bootcamp a few times before figuring this one out. 

Hope you have some success this weekend. 

This post was modified 2 months ago

2020 MacBook Air i7 / 4-core 1.2 Ghz / 16GB / 512GB / Sonnet Breakaway Puck 5500 XT / ASUS XG Station Pro : MSI Radeon RX5700 OC Evoke / Mac OS 11.1 Big Sur / Samsung 27” 1440 display

ReplyQuote
i0ntempest
(@i0ntempest)
Trusted Member

Would really like to know if the 5700 version will work under both OSes (with common workarounds for E12). I saw under sonnet’s product specification that Windows version 2004 is not supported (for the 5700 version). I have the old 570 Puck and it’s really showing its age now.

Setup 1: Custom Build Mid-Tower Hackintosh (SMBIOS: Apple Mac Pro 2019)+ eGPU
iGPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
dGPU: ASUS Strix AMD Radeon 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6
eGPU: Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 via Thunderbolt 3 (AKiTiO Node Lite)
Setup 2: Apple Mac mini 2018 + eGPU
iGPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
eGPU: AMD Radeon RX 570 MXM 4GB GDDR5 via Thunderbolt 3 (Sonnet Breakaway Puck)

ReplyQuote
kurai_kage
(@kurai_kage)

@fuzzy, Andy’s post appears completely contingent on starting with an H1 version of Windows and then keeping the device from updating beyond it.  

I believe I previously read about BootCamp successes that work with current Windows versions and I’m going to need to focus on looking for a technique that is more flexible about the Windows Pro version as well as leaving updates enabled.  

Did you make any attempts with a current  Windows version?  Any attempts using Hackflags?

I’ll see if a hybrid approach is at all viable.  

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Hana_Dusikova
(@hana_dusikova)

I just got my unit (RX5700) and it's really awesome. Just plug and play with my LG 5k, with everything (USB-C hub, camera, sound, brightness working) with my mac mini. It stays completely silent when idle, but the fan starts quite quickly after some usage (window movements). Also it can get quite hot after while.

The fun seems silent enough, but (especially during starting/stopping) a weird chirping sound, I already contacted Sonnet support, maybe I'm just too sensitive to noises.

Mini i5 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@hana_dusikova, great to hear! Dont suppose you are going to try it in Bootcamp at all?

The pucks are a nightmare get in the UK.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Hana_Dusikova
(@hana_dusikova)

@eightarmedpet, Sonnet says 5700 is not supported in windows and I don't have bootcamp currently, so it will need to wait until weekend as soonest.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@hana_dusikova, thanks for the reply. eGPUs are not supported in Bootcamp at all but most work, the only real unknown is how the 5K will behave, as a fellow 5K owner I would love to hear your results if you do get a chance.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
kurai_kage
(@kurai_kage)

I spent a couple hours attempting to get the 5500 puck to work on my son's bootcamped 2020 13" MBP and I was not successful.  My attempts did not include wiping the partition and starting fresh with an older copy of Windows. 

Given the various hazards posed by the internet to Windows devices, I strongly feel that it is important to keep the OS up to date and I'm unwilling to run a significantly older version of the OS for an extended period of time.  My son has been spending a lot more time on the Mac side with a resurgent interest in Minecraft, so I may take the route of returning the puck and planning an inexpensive PC build for gaming.

A couple of quick question to anyone following along, I briefly read about a pci.sys file replacement suggestion.  Has that been a consistently viable method of utilizing a modern version of Windows with egpu?  Does Windows need to be prevented from updating for that to continue working?  Separately, I'm very reluctant to make any changes to the EFI partition on the MBP or disable SIP given Apple's willingness to make breaking security changes.  Is there an external drive solution that I could perhaps try out that would potentially allow for a 2 hop boot to Windows scenario to make the eGPU viable with current versions of the OS?

Thanks again for advice.  (I can also take this question to another part of the forum if more appropriate.)

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Grab the firmware, apply it to a GC-TITAN RIDGE, then we have an alternative to the Blackmagic and Sonnet GPUs for Thunderbolt display connection. This was attempted before but I don't know if the DisplayPort inputs and Thunderbolt downstream port worked.

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/xps-9370-unable-to-update-thunderbolt-3-firmware/#post-41102

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  4