Clear all

Sonnet Breakaway Puck 5500 XT / 5700 Portable Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Enclosure  

of  6
  RSS

chx
 chx
(@chx)
Estimable Member

This got me interested, really. I read https://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=590&expand=_a2&action=b1127#b1127

Windows fully supports connecting displays to the HDMI and DisplayPort ports. However, a Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C display connected to the Thunderbolt 3 port is not supported by Windows at this time. You may use this port as a 10Gbps USB-C port to connect a USB-C device.

and contacted Sonnet with two questions:

2. Is this something that can be expected to be fixed in the future ie is it a driver issue Microsoft / Intel / whoever is aware of and is working on it or is this some technology limitation I am unaware of and I should wait for USB 4/TB4. (I am going to buy a Tiger Lake laptop as soon as the X1 Carbon Gen 9 32GB version makes it to North America or I make it Europe.)

I will post if/when any answers arrive.

Lenovo ThinkPad 25 -- GALAX SNPR TB3 1060 -- Lenovo Graphics Dock -- Benq BL2411PT - - two PackedPixels - Dasung not-eReader backer

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Susurs
(@susurs)
Estimable Member

@chx, I am not sure if it will help but I am actually using USB-C to HDMI cable with my Mac Mini 2018 and / or Puck 5700, and it works when connected to the eGPU the same as simple HDMI.

I bought it because I noticed that it works ‘better’ when connected to the Mac’s internal ports and eGPU is attached, and does not cause green flickering screen when W10 loads.

With HDMI, eGPU and without apple_set_os.efi enabled (on Mac’s internal port) Mac’s HDMI would flicker and get random restarts and lead to the recovery mode. However, via USB-C it boots up, but there is just no output to the screen, but it is fine as I can enable Remote Client and see that W10 has loaded fully and is working. Device manager shows that eGPU is active but iGPU is off.

(I cannot get this setup to work with both GPUs enabled correctly in any case whatever I do).

With USB-C to HDMI plugged directly in to the eGPU and no bootloader the machine boots up exactly the same as with the HDMI cable. There is output and everything is working great.

With USB-C plugged in to Mac Mini and eGPU, and bootloader enabled everything boots up fine as well. The difference is that for some reason I see W10 logo on bootup, recovery options if I enable them, but for some seconds W10 spinning loading cirle is not visible until the welcome screen. It does not make any problem for me in any case.

Another thing I have noticed is that my Philips TV 4K screen does not really want me to adjust brightness up from the default setting with USB-C to HDMI cable, but I can select specific picture modes to increase it, or adjust contrast. No that it is an issue as well.

P.S. Tech support usualy has been quite ‘laconic’, but maybe that is just me. : )

This post was modified 1 month ago

|| Mac mini 2018, i7, 32GB || macOS 10.15.7 || Bootcamp W10 20H2 || Sonnet Puck RX 5700 eGPU ||

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@chx, When the Blackmagic eGPU first came out, I asked an Intel contact about the possibility of other vendors building a similar eGPU to be used across operating systems. He didn't go into much details. I recall it was up to the vendor and OS to support internal routing of DP streams for Thunderbolt 3 monitor output. My guess is Microsoft does not think any Windows users would rely on Thunderbolt 3 monitor output as only the source. Their PC hardware lineup has no Thunderbolt connectivity at all.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Bloomberg
(@bloomberg)

I am glad that I can buy this product in my city!!

This post was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
chx
 chx
(@chx)
Estimable Member

Here are two quotes from the replies from Sonet. It's ridiculous.

If TB4 fixes it, it will be a pleasant surprise, but we do not expect it to be fixed.

I pressed them to give me some techie details and:

We do not know specific details into what causes issue at this time, only that it is limited to Microsoft Windows 10 equipped computers.

Lenovo ThinkPad 25 -- GALAX SNPR TB3 1060 -- Lenovo Graphics Dock -- Benq BL2411PT - - two PackedPixels - Dasung not-eReader backer

ReplyQuote
Susurs
(@susurs)
Estimable Member

@chx, I told you the support is ‘interesting’ and ‘laconic’ : )

|| Mac mini 2018, i7, 32GB || macOS 10.15.7 || Bootcamp W10 20H2 || Sonnet Puck RX 5700 eGPU ||

ReplyQuote
chx
 chx
(@chx)
Estimable Member

WTF really , they lost a sale here. These are not cheap devices and I can't justify buying one if it won't work for me! I even told them I have two external monitors with DP inputs only and this here rules the enitre thing out because it just won't work. Not even with a TB3 to dual DP adapter. Blargh.

ReplyQuote
VJ M3L1
(@vj_m3l1)

@eightarmedpet, Did you already try? I wanna buy for my Mac mini 2020...

@susurs, So how many outputs can I connect to this eGPU? I am visual artist and I need to connect at least 3 projectors and the monitor to my Mac mini... thanks for your answer

@kurai_kage, Did you get this puck??? How is going, I want to buy it to my Mac mini...

@hana_dusikova, How is going by now??? I want to buy it for my Mac mini, but I can't decide yet... 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Susurs
(@susurs)
Estimable Member

@vj_m3l1, I have no idea in practice as I have only one monitor which I have tested with. + Luna USB-C wireless display plugged in to my Mac Mini for macOS.

P.S. I hope you mean Intel Mac Mini as 2020 M1 (any M1) does not support eGPUs.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@vj_m3l1, It should be able to provide 4x monitor outputs. You may need a Thunderbolt 3 to dual-DP or dual-HDMI.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  6