Notifications
Clear all

Sonnet Breakaway Puck 5500 XT / 5700 Portable Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Enclosure  

of  8
  RSS

joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@itsage, that's true for macOS at least. What about @chx's questions about Windows? The answer is one of these:

2 displays: DisplayPort and HDMI

3 displays: DisplayPort, HDMI, USB-C

4 displays: DisplayPort, HDMI, Thunderbolt x2 (this is the answer for macOS at least)

For #3: USB-C means a USB hub or USB-C display or USB-C adapter connected to the downstream Thunderbolt port. This requires the downstream port of the Thunderbolt controller to be able to act as a DisplayPort Out Adapter for the DisplayPort In Adapter of the same controller.

For #4: Thunderbolt x2 means up to two display outputs of any Thunderbolt devices connected to the downstream Thunderbolt port of the eGPU. You can use one output from one device and another output from another device, or two outputs from the same device. This requires a path to be setup between the DisplayPort In Adapters of the Thunderbolt controller of the eGPU with the DisplayPort Out Adapters of different Thunderbolt controllers. I wonder if a DisplayPort path can go upstream?

For #3 and #4, it may be that Windows won't setup DisplayPort paths that don't begin from the host Thunderbolt controller. This may be a function of the firmware connection manager of the host Thunderbolt controller. USB4 uses a software connection manager so maybe a USB4 host will have different behavior. I guess it depends on the driver.  https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/thunderbolt.html

Of course, since Windows is being used, you can connect an MST Hub to connect more than one display to the DisplayPort output. A DisplayPort 1.4 MST Hub that supports DSC can connect three 4K 60Hz 8bpc RGB displays. AMD may have crappy MST / DSC / 10 bpc / EDID override support.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

What’s the availability of these things like in th tree states atm? Don’t think they ever made it to the uk...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Susurs
(@susurs)
Estimable Member

@eightarmedpet, I know they (some) were available in France at least in January, and I noticed some in Amazon . de at some point as well so they made it to the Europe at least : ) 

P.S. French importer / retailer was this one: https://www.platinium.fr/store/fr/recherche?controller=search&s=5700 ...but I did not order from them at the end as I have got it from the States faster at that point.

This post was modified 1 month ago

|| Mac mini 2018, i7, 32GB || macOS 10.15.7 || Bootcamp W10 20H2 || Sonnet Puck RX 5700 eGPU ||

ReplyQuote
Aich
 Aich
(@aich)

Hi,

first of all I am relatively new to the topic and would appreciate help and advice for a reliable setup.
Also I am preferring pre-build all-in-one solutions.

I am looking for an eGPU to power up my Mac mini (2018, 3,2 GHz 6-Core i7, 32GB RAM) for Motion Graphics (After Effects) and Video Production (Premiere Pro) and wondered how the Blackmagic eGPU with integrated Radeon Pro 580 compares to the Sonnet Breakaway Puck RX 5500 XT. As I understand the 5500 XT is the newer (better?) option but has less VRAM size (5500 XT: 4GB vs. Radeon Pro 580: 8GB). They seem to have similar benchmark results, though. As they are available at similar prices, I’d like to know which one to prefer for my needs.

In addition to the comparison I’d like to know whether one of these are sufficient at all. The Sonnet Breakaway Puck RX 5700 is probably the best option, but much more expensive as well. I don’t want to invest the extra money if it isn’t necessary and one of the other two is powerful enough anyhow.

I also thought about an M1 powered Mac mini, but it is limited to 16GB RAM, two Thunderbolt 3 Ports and 1GbE.
In regard to M1, I am rather waiting for more powerful Macs with next gen M1s.

I would be glad for help and would very much appreciate some advice.

Thanks in advance!

Mac mini (2018) | 3,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 | 32 GB RAM | MacOS 10.15

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@aich, Given the current GPU prices and the available pre-build eGPU options, I would say the Blackmagic eGPU with Radeon Pro 580 seems like the most reasonable choice.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
VJ M3L1
(@vj_m3l1)

• @aich, the problem with this blackmafic eGPU it is not upgradable and the graphic card inside it is not very good and it will be very difficult to sell in the future if you want to get something better,  I would go for the sonnet 5700XT because is a better card far away, but same problem can not upgrade and I don’t know if it is a really good option because it is a tiny card and the temperature could be a problem try to searching more about the performance of this sonnet. On the other hand I was looking the same device for my Mac mini, the best option I found was an Akitio Node with a RX580 inside, could be upgradable in the future but for now it is out of stock :(, actually after searched and read a lot of post it’s better to buy a bundle that You could upgrade, or wait what is gonna happen with M1 processor, I work with after effects too and video programs and I has been a really difficult decision to take Unamused  

This post was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Aich
 Aich
(@aich)

@itsage@vj_m3l1, thanks for your fast replies, appreciate your help.

Prices have seemed high and I knew they are higher than usually, but I just became aware of how much prices increased. Shock  

It looks like it’s not a good time currently to upgrade/add graphics performance …
I think for me it’s the best idea to wait for new (M1) Macs or better GPU prices/availability as motion graphics and video editing are mostly not my main focus.

Even current Intel iMacs equipped with Radeon Pro 5700 (XT) have better value for money – as a whole system.

Though I’d prefer a “screenless” mac as I am relying on a color management monitor with hardware calibration … let’s wait and see what the future brings.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Mac mini (2018) | 3,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 | 32 GB RAM | MacOS 10.15

ReplyQuote
VJ M3L1
(@vj_m3l1)

@, prices are rely high because the bitcoins miners and I don’t think this gonna be down the prices soon, it is terrible 😣 for me I can not wait to much because I need to upgrade my computer soon and I don’t want to switch to windows, let us know what would you do in the future and when my eGPU arrives I’ll try with my Mac mini and I’ll let you know how it’s going...

cheers 😊

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
i0ntempest
(@i0ntempest)
Trusted Member

I decided to buy the 5500XT version as first I don't feel like messing with E12 anymore and second the 5700 version seems to be severely power and thermal limited. I'll post about my experiences with both OSes here once I get it.

Setup 1: Custom Build Mid-Tower Hackintosh (SMBIOS: Apple Mac Pro 2019)+ eGPU
iGPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
dGPU: ASUS Strix AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6
eGPU: Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 via Thunderbolt 3 (AKiTiO Node Lite)
Setup 2: Apple Mac mini 2018 + eGPU
iGPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
eGPU: AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT MXM 4GB GDDR6 via Thunderbolt 3 (Sonnet Breakaway Puck)

ReplyQuote
VJ M3L1
(@vj_m3l1)

Hope to hear good news from you soon, I bought an AKiTiO with RX580 but they haven't had stock yet, so Im stuck waiting to do, GPU cards are very high by now Sad  , and I am not really convinced about this Sonnet Puck, let us know how it is working... 

Cheers and good look with this setup Smile  

ReplyQuote
 of  8