Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Sonnet breakaway puck RX570 with MacBook pro mid-2012

[Solved] Sonnet breakaway puck RX570 with MacBook pro mid-2012  

RSS

(@simon_jl)

Hi all,

I figure I'd share a little bit of my experience over my setup for people who have a similar to my one.
I just brought a sonnet breakaway Puck model RX570 for my macbook pro. The main reason was because I wanted to be able to drive my computer on 2 or 3 external display and maybe do some gaming on the go. My macbook pro is a mid-2012 non retina with Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 Mo (2,5 GHz Intel Core i5, running osx 10.14.2 (18C54)) and obviously that wasn't enough for what I was planning to do with it. So I connected the egpu to my mac using apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter and run the script to enable egpu on this particuliar older mac. While the result are.... kind of satisfactory. In fact, I'm able to run multi-display support as I was hoping to do, but when It comes to gaming, it's a no go. The games still run hard for, I guess, the CPU, since games need both to run smoothly and mine isn't pretty decent.

My question is, if I'm to buy a newer macbook pro, like those with intel core i7 or better, will this offert a better combination of CPU and GPU for decent gaming? I'm kind of able to play, but in very low setting and my cpu reach very high temperature. Will this still occur with, let say, the 2018 15inch macbook pro?

Many thanks in advance for the informations.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
CPU : 2,5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory : 10 Go 1600 MHz DDR3
Internal Graphics : Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 Mo
External Graphics (EGPU) : Sonnet breakaway Puck RX 570 with Apple thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter

ReplyQuote
(@simon_jl)

No one has any idea?

External Graphics (EGPU) : Sonnet breakaway Puck RX 570 with Apple thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Estimable Member

You haven't given any details on what games you're trying to run or what performance numbers you're seeing so I'd have a hard time saying if your performance is normal and how much upgrading would help. In theory, a new macbook with a 4 core CPU and thunderbolt 3 would improve performance in general

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.14+Win10
+ Linux Mint 19.1

ReplyQuote
(@simon_jl)

Hi nu_ninja,

Thank you very much for this precision, I appreciate the help. On that matter you're right, I didn't realize I should have mentionned that. Sorry and here's the details that should help:

I ran test on cinebench R15 for mac and on the OpenGL I got a score of 45,42 fps while on the CPU I got a result of 230 cb.
I ran also a test on Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 also on mac with basic presets  giving results of 73.6 fps and a score of 1854 (min fps 10,3 and max fps 125,4) while the extreme preset gave results of 32,5 FPS with a score of 817 (min fps 7,7 and max fps 65,2).

I should mention that both these test made my CPU run a lot hot, close to 100 degrees Celsius.

Overall, the reason a buyed this EGPU was for playing only 2 games wich are world of tanks and world of warship.

Hope this help and thank you again!

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Estimable Member

Ok if your CPU is getting to 100 C in the Unigine Heaven benchmark then that's concerning because those benchmarks are less CPU intensive than pretty much any game. That tells me the thermals of the CPU are at least part of your problem. I would use Macs Fan Control to make sure your fans are at max when you're gaming. If you still want better thermals you could open up your laptop, clear out any dust from the fan and potentially replace the thermal paste (instructions here).
I'll probably download one of those games and post results here at some point.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.14+Win10
+ Linux Mint 19.1

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@simon_jl
I have a Sonnet Breakaway Puck 570, too, paired with my wife's 13-inch MacBookPro 2015 and I have to say, it's a really fine piece of hardware. This combination works right out of the box in Bootcamp without any patch or hack including internal display. This box just doesn't make any problems/noise and you can play fluently in FullHD every game that exist. As @nu_ninja said said, the only problem could be your CPU.
A score of 874 in Unigine Heaven Preset Extreme is not a bad thing. Try this benchmark with your iGPU and you will see the difference. I predict a score under 100 which means you get a 9-10x improvement. This is very good.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@simon_jl Could be dust build-up if it isn't hardware related. Consider doing a nice internal clean-up of your Mac if so. Maybe do a thermal repaste as well. Makes a world of difference.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 [Sonnet Breakaway 350 -> 600W]

ReplyQuote
(@simon_jl)

Many thanks everyone, this seems to answer my questions!

ReplyQuote
TDRB
 TDRB
(@tdrb)

Simon JL, can you tell me if there are improvements for programs like Photoshop or Illustrator or other Adobe products ?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
TDRB
 TDRB
(@tdrb)

@SimonJL, can you tell me if there are improvements for programs like Photoshop or Illustrator or other Adobe products ?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
PortalProps
(@portalprops)

Posted by: @simon_jl

Hi all,

I figure I'd share a little bit of my experience over my setup for people who have a similar to my one.
I just brought a sonnet breakaway Puck model RX570 for my macbook pro. The main reason was because I wanted to be able to drive my computer on 2 or 3 external display and maybe do some gaming on the go. My macbook pro is a mid-2012 non retina with Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 Mo (2,5 GHz Intel Core i5, running osx 10.14.2 (18C54)) and obviously that wasn't enough for what I was planning to do with it. So I connected the egpu to my mac using apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter and run the script to enable egpu on this particuliar older mac. While the result are.... kind of satisfactory. In fact, I'm able to run multi-display support as I was hoping to do, but when It comes to gaming, it's a no go. The games still run hard for, I guess, the CPU, since games need both to run smoothly and mine isn't pretty decent.

My question is, if I'm to buy a newer macbook pro, like those with intel core i7 or better, will this offert a better combination of CPU and GPU for decent gaming? I'm kind of able to play, but in very low setting and my cpu reach very high temperature. Will this still occur with, let say, the 2018 15inch macbook pro?

Many thanks in advance for the informations.

Hi!

A newbie question here. I'm planning to get an RX560 for my Mid 2014 Macbook Pro. When you're saying you "run the script to enable egpu", which script are you talking about? The one that enables TB3 in TB2 machines or something else?

ReplyQuote