Notifications
Clear all

Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350  

RSS

Dave Hauss
(@dave_hauss)

I just got a great deal on a Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350 to use on a 2014 mac mini with 16GB ram.  What is the most inexpensive EGPU I can put in this box? I really not looking top spend much but am hoping that I can improve graphics performance somewhat.  I am planning to have 3 monitors connected (1 by a USB to VGA adapter that I currently use on an 2011 iMac).  Also, since the Mac mini has Thunderbolt 2, I assume I will need to run the script to make this work?

Thank you...

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@dave_hauss, You might look for an AMD RX 580 or RX 570 on Craigslist. But all graphics card prices are super high in 2021.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

odin liked
ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @dave_hauss

I just got a great deal on a Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350 to use on a 2014 mac mini with 16GB ram.  What is the most inexpensive EGPU I can put in this box? I really not looking top spend much but am hoping that I can improve graphics performance somewhat.  I am planning to have 3 monitors connected (1 by a USB to VGA adapter that I currently use on an 2011 iMac).  Also, since the Mac mini has Thunderbolt 2, I assume I will need to run the script to make this work?

Thank you...

I definitely side with @mini i5 as well. Though even the low end GPUs are expensive right now with a lot of people that want to game just getting whatever they can at the low end as a stop gap.

For instance take the RX550.. https://www.newegg.com/powercolor-radeon-rx-550-axrx-550-4gbd5-dh/p/1DW-001Z-00042R?Item=1DW-001Z-00042R

That's about what the MSRP for an RTX 3060 should be, which would completely blow the doors off this thing. It's really hard to find anything for a sane price right now. Which is why I'm hoping beyond hope that my 2070 just holds on until GPUs go back to something resembling sane. Quite frankly I'd say if it was 50% overpriced that would bring me into sane territory at this point if I didn't have a GPU, but right now we're talking 300% or more markup for anything worthwhile. The RX570/580 are not typically good mining cards but I'm imagining if they are more sanely but still ridiculously priced they are probably getting snapped up by desperate people. I see a lot of 8GB RX570's going for mid $400's on eBay, which is INSANE for a low tier card like that.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago
2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote