Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350W Connection Issues (Late 2013 MBP w/ Retina Window...

Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350W Connection Issues (Late 2013 MBP w/ Retina Windows 10)  

RSS

Davros
(@davros)

Hi all,

Just recently I got a Sonnet Breakaway Box (350W) setup with a Zotac 1060 3gb and was able to trouble shoot and get everything working relatively well under bootcamp on Windows 10 on a Late 2013 13" MBP Retina Display with intel graphics. I was playing some games last night, decided to call it quits. Shut down the computer plus the box, flipped the switch on the PSU and unplugged the enclosure from the computer. 

Now this morning when working with the enclosure, the blue LED power indicator will not turn on when the box is powered on and connected to the computer. The PSU fan spins up, the built in fan spins up, as well as the fan on the card. When plugged into the computer on windows I am unable to view the thunderbolt connections so I went to try and trouble shoot in MacOS. The enclosure itself is recognized in MacOS as a thunderbolt device entitled "eGFX Breakaway Box"

Vendor Name: Sonnet Technologies, Inc.

Device Name: eGFX Breakaway Box

Vendor ID: 0x8

Device ID: 0x30

Device Revision: 0x1

Route String: 1

Firmware Version: 25.2

Port (Upstream):

Link Status: 0x2

Speed: Up to 20 Gb/s x1

Current Link Width: 0x2

Cable Firmware Version: 1.1.0

Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.36.0

The thunderbolt cables are warm, clearly exchanging some sort of data as the enclosure is recognized. I've tried hotplugging at various times, rebooting, non EFI booting, EFI booting, I'm at a little bit of a loss here. 

The enclosure itself is used, purchased from amazon, so I figured I would turn here first before contacting Sonnet in case anyone has had similar issues.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
doscrash
(@doscrash)

Hi, I'm having this exact problem with the 350W enclosure and a MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar 2017.

Although my laptop can be charged when plugged into the eGFX Breakaway Box, the blue LED light doesn't turn nor will the Radeon RX 580's fans spin up.

Did you identify the problem and fix it?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote