Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550 vs Venus Mantis Availability.

Notifications
Clear all

Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550 vs Venus Mantis Availability.  

RSS

d4rkz3r0
(@d4rkz3r0)

Hello, 

I understand that the Sonnet 550W eGPU solution will not be shipping until the end of September, however I have an immediate need for securing a box before the end of the month.

1) Is it correct to assume that even though B&H is accepting backorders for this box, it would probably be faster to wait for the box to become available on Sonnet's website and then order directly from there since I assume the majority of their stock will be focused on their website before they stock 3rd parties?

2) AFAIK the Mantis Venus box has not released a firmware update to increase performance of I/O ports, however I only care about eGPU performance, is it safe to assume that if price is not an issue, I can expect an identical experience by purchasing a Mantis Venus box today instead of waiting for the Sonnet eGFX box to be released, since I do not use any I/O ports?

3) Finally, what are the shipping times I can expect if I order a Venus today? (From point of origin to East Coast US)
There only seems to be one option (DHL) without any estimate on Mantis's website given.
If the shipping times are around 2-3 weeks then it might make more sense to wait for Sonnet's 550W box, given the lower price point.

Links to respective boxes: 

Sonnet eGFX 550w Breakaway Box

Mantis Venus 550w eGPU Breakaway Box

Thanks for your time.

-MacBook Pro 15" 2017
-Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition
-Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p/144hz

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

If you need an eGPU in a hurry, you can always get an AKiTiO Node then swap the stock unit for a SFX 600W/650W PSU.

Delivery time for the Mantiz Venus from Taiwan or Hong Kong warehouse is about 3 business days to the US.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
d4rkz3r0
(@d4rkz3r0)

Posted by: itsage

If you need an eGPU in a hurry, you can always get an AKiTiO Node then swap the stock unit for a SFX 600W/650W PSU.

Delivery time for the Mantiz Venus from Taiwan or Hong Kong warehouse is about 3 business days to the US.

Great info,

-Thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor

We are in stock. So we can ship in 3 business day. 

about the new FW. We will release before Sep 8th. Even the old one never be an issue in performance.

Mantiz: ● ●

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

For Italian users we have Mantiz Venus in stock at www.egpu.it

MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar M1 8-core CPU 8-core GPU - 16GB unified memory - 512GB PCIe SSD
MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.3Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB PCIe SSD

my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote