Sonnettech 750ex enclosure having slow down issues

Notifications
Clear all

Sonnettech 750ex enclosure having slow down issues  

RSS

Steve Main
(@steve_main)

So after all my issues with Razer enclosure I decided to try the Sonnettech 750ex enclosure. After installing brand new drivers for my RTX 1080 I found the same issue was happening. My web camera keeps flickering and my machine keeps slowing down and I can only assume the slow down is caused by the use of an eGPU. A normal boot should be around 5-10 seconds to get to my desktop now it's about 5 minutes. It seems hit and miss an sometimes its fine and you can tell you are using a google GPU to render the screen. IE mouse movements are crisp and highlighting of text is smooth and precise. Now its choppy and loading a web page is like using dialup and its not okay. 

So i have to ask what can I possibly change on my machine to support this setup. My BIOS is up to date. I just noticed my Thunderbolt firmware was old so I updated that with no luck. I installed all the most recent chipset drivers from Dell. I have a 5290 2in1 tablet/computer and I am lost as to why this wont work. I would really appreciate anyone's help to figure out what setting on my machine is wrong that causes this.

Also just FYI I ran GPU burn in test for about 15 minutes called FurMark and my temps never want above 66c and there were no issues with the card. I was worried that maybe the old card was just defective possibly

Dell Latitude 5290 2in1, i7, 1TB Nvme, 16 GB Ram, Razer Core X Chroma with a Nvidia GTX 1080

ReplyQuote
Steve Main
(@steve_main)

Just to add to this I watched this video just to ensure my laptop is not sharing the PCIe lanes with something else I check and my laptop says it has 4x links available to it.

2021 07 29 16 24 57

I have gone through this documentation also
https://www.sonnettech.com/support/downloads/manuals/windows_egpu_info.pdf

My Thunderbolt software is at 17.4.79.510 Which is the latest form Dell and the NVM Firmware version is at 46.00

2021 07 29 16 43 06

This post was modified 2 months ago

Dell Latitude 5290 2in1, i7, 1TB Nvme, 16 GB Ram, Razer Core X Chroma with a Nvidia GTX 1080

ReplyQuote
Steve Main
(@steve_main)

Here is a video of the issue and sometimes it gets way worse then this

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G1Ed4bAA6fSdAHUh8

Its like my system turns into a throttled 1 core processor at 1GHz

ReplyQuote
atlr
 atlr
(@atlr)

Try the Windows DCH driver for Thunderbolt.   Back up an image of your hard drive before you migrate from the legacy Thunderbolt driver package 17.4.79.510. 

BACK UP!

Uninstall Thunderbolt software from Windows Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Programs and Features

Download Thunderbolt Windows DCH driver package version 1.41.1094.0 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28735/Thunderbolt-3-DCH-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NUC

Read all the .pdf and .txt files in this package for installation instructions.  Do not just run the first .bat or .exe that you see.   Read, read, read.

You backed up, right?

Now install the DCH driver package by following its instructions.

Best wishes.

This post was modified 1 month ago

User of eGPUs at my job.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote