US$399 Lenovo GTX1050-MXM TB3 dock is ON!

Notifications
Clear all

US$399 Lenovo GTX1050-MXM TB3 dock is ON!  

RSS

chx
(@chx)
Estimable Member

I am so excited I will burst.

It's everything I hoped for and then some:  5.12 x 9.76 x 0.89” (YAY! THIN!) 1.51lbs, two DisplayPorts (as it should be! What was Galax thinking of putting just one?), some USB ports, even an Ethernet port (meh) and sweet, sweet 65W Power Delivery. 

The brick is the familiar 170W Lenovo one: 6.1 x 2.99 x 1.18" (boo! hiss! why is it so thick? but still, it's thin enough) and 1.32lbs. Since I have a ThinkPad 25 it's really alluring that I can use this directly to charge the laptop if I don't feel like wiring everything up. It also means I can deduct about 0.5lbs from the total weight because I don't need to pack a laptop charger. So: 2.33lbs, almost exactly one kilogram to gamify my ThinkPad 25. Not too shabby!

It's $399. Cheaper than the RX560 Puck but half as thin, comes with more ports and more PD. Note Lenovo sells just the 170W brick for over $100. And you can't buy for love or money an 1050 with more than one DP (OK, I lied: Aetina has one for $330). And the 1050 / 1050 Ti is what I want in an eGPU because if I go 1060 then I need to haul a power brick which can power it which will be very heavy -- especially if you want 65W PD as well.

And: it is scheduled this month! YAY! DANCE! SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

(Notably this arrangement allows driving two PackedPixels: two USB 3.0 to power them, two DisplayPort to drive them.)

Lenovo ThinkPad 25 -- GALAX SNPR TB3 1060 -- Lenovo Graphics Dock -- Benq BL2411PT - - two PackedPixels - Dasung not-eReader backer

ReplyQuote
usafballer
(@usafballer)
Eminent Member

Saw this as well - might be worth picking this up and selling my existing Aorus Gaming Box 1070.  It's a considerable drop in power though, but with the advantage of being significantly more portable.  If I threw my budget out the window, I'd keep both, and leave the AGB connected to my 27" monitor.

Now if I can just get some firmware/software updates to the Macbook line to support hot plug capes in both OSes - I'd be in heaven.  But if not, I may also grab one of the X1 Carbons and sell the Macbook as well.  I mean, a 2.4lb X1 Carbon with HDR display, 1.51 lb eGPU, plus you said a 1.3lb PSU = still less than my Alienware 13r3 weight without PSU!

I should add, this thing is a shot across the bow to vanilla TB3 docks, which cost upwards of 300 bucks and offer NO gpu acceleration.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nombrescreeno
(@nombrescreeno)
Trusted Member

How does an RX 570 compare to a GTX 1050? This thing is tiny, but I think I need more power (still eyeing the RX 570 puck)

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

It's hard to compare the performance of MXM GPU to full size GPU. The performance of this Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock is similar to that of the Sonnet Breakaway Puck is my guess.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
nombrescreeno
(@nombrescreeno)
Trusted Member

Posted by: itsage

It's hard to compare the performance of MXM GPU to full size GPU. The performance of this Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock is similar to that of the Sonnet Breakaway Puck is my guess.

True - I was comparing to the Puck's RX 570 version

Does CES have any other similar small form factor/MXM eGPU products?

ReplyQuote
jonah765
(@jonah765)
Eminent Member

Hey, as a yoga 920 owner, this thing looks really enticing. You say it has a 1050 inside, any chance there is a version with a 1050ti. I would easily pay 50$ more for a version with a 1050ti to be honest.

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

Sonnet Puck RX570 will be a faster. Some indication:  http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-radeon-rx-580-570-review_7

Sonnet Puck RX560 vs Lenovo 1050 - that could be a close tie. It is not clear what is the Lenovo's TDP.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@sky11 I agree it's comparable to the Breakaway Puck RX 560. I think the GTX 1050 inside this Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock is set at 55W TDP.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
 chx
(@chx)
Estimable Member

Posted by: usafballer

plus you said a 1.3lb PSU

There's more than just me saying it. Compare the picture in the egpu.io news

to the existing 170W brick for their "P" series laptops.

This was already clear since Anandtech showed the dock using the yellow "slim tip" power input and mentioned it's 170W.

Lenovo ThinkPad 25 -- GALAX SNPR TB3 1060 -- Lenovo Graphics Dock -- Benq BL2411PT - - two PackedPixels - Dasung not-eReader backer

ReplyQuote
 chx
(@chx)
Estimable Member

It's now available on the Lenovo Hong Kong site (from reddit) but it's like 500 USD there. A little more patience Smile

ReplyQuote
cmm
 cmm
(@mois)
Trusted Member

Will this Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 eGPU (GTX 1050) drive the 8K Dell UP3218K display, driven via two DP1.4 cables?

That is re my  https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/drive-the-8k-display-dell-up3218k-fed-via-two-dp1-4-using-sonnet-puck-560-570-or-other-solution-thoughts-comments/ thread.

Dell's instructions  http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_display_projector/esuprt_display/dell-up3218k-monitor_use r's%20guide_en-us.pdf page 21 say GTX 1070/1080 is needed so I presume *not*?

ReplyQuote