Notifications
Clear all

Thunderbolt and Nvidia 1070  

RSS

Oubury
(@oubury)

Hey guys. I currently own a laptop which has thunderbolt 3 ports. It has an I7 6700K with sli 980M 8gb each and 64gbs of ram. Thing is I would like to upgrade through an egpu to something like a 1070ti or the 16xx series. is doing it through thunderbolt easier? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Trusted Member

@oubury, What model laptop do you have? 

2020 14" Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 (MX450) [11th,4C,G] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Oubury
(@oubury)

@boltoway, I have an origin pc eon 17 slx

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Trusted Member

@oubury, Alright, I did a bit of research on your "laptop" and you are correct in that it has a Thunderbolt 3 port. You could theoretically use an eGPU with this laptop, but there are a few caveats you need to consider:

1. Unlike modern Intel CPU's that have the Thunderbolt 3 controller built into the CPU, your laptop most likely has an external Thunderbolt 3 PCH located on the motherboard, independent of the CPU. You can still use an eGPU, but the performance and reliability of it will be unknown until you try it.

2. You have some high-end hardware in your laptop, so to get performance that is measurably better than your internal GTX 980M's you would need to get a graphics card that is considerably better than them, such as a GTX 1080ti or higher.

3. Your laptop's graphics cards are based on the MXM 3.0B protocol. You could theoretically upgrade to a higher end MXM GPU, so long as you can find one that is compatible with your laptop. I would suggest emailing Origin's tech support and ask them. This would be the best option in my opinion, as it would guarantee performance and you could sell your old MXM GPU's easily to recoup some money.

Hope this helps. 

2020 14" Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 (MX450) [11th,4C,G] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote