Troubleshooting RTX 2070 Mini in Aorus Gaming Box (Solved)

Notifications
Clear all

Troubleshooting RTX 2070 Mini in Aorus Gaming Box (Solved)  

RSS

madjester
(@veriestvarlet)
Eminent Member

Hi All,

I've had an Aorus Gaming Box running a 750 GT for the past ~6 months, running great, and it gives nice boost to Photoshop, Premiere, so forth on my X1 tablet.

I thought I'd upgrade, try an RTX 2070 in the box and it fits perfectly. However, when connecting the box the GPU fan twitches for a moment then the box stays unpowered, no LEDs and the fans on the back of the box stay still. It does charge the laptop/tablet though. Not totally surprised but I thought the size and wattage were right for the card. (BTW, tried the box with and without the various GPUs, only the 2070 isn't powering up.)

So question #1, is this a wattage issue? The guide says the max for this box is 225 and I thought the GV-N2070IX-8GC topped out at ~200. 
And if it's a wattage issue, I've seen folks swap in a 500w FlexATX, which I'm happy to do, but question #2 could I test this by connecting the card to an ATX power supply then powering the box and ATX together? 
Want to make sure the actual problem is tested and solved rather than start buying parts or another whole box.

Thanks!

IMG 0180
This topic was modified 1 year ago

Early 2015 13" MBP with Thunder2 RX 470 on Windows 10 and MacOS 10.1 (Formerly)

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Tablet 3rd Gen and 2070 RTX Aorus Gaming Box (Custom)
Web development, Video Editing, 2D + 3D animation

ReplyQuote
Buttons
(@buttons)

Yes, you can use an ATX PSU: connect the 24-pin connector to the board and the 8 pin PCI-E connector to the card.

Hope you get this working -- let us know how it goes! Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The Gaming Box doesn't work with all ITX cards plug-and-play. Some cards don't power on in the order the Gaming Box's mainboard expects. Read this topic for more details and possible workaround.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
madjester
(@veriestvarlet)
Eminent Member

@itsage After a bit more research (including the knowledge that 1 8 pin connector = 225w max, helpful that) I think you're probably right. Added a post over there walking through how I might wire 2 12v wires and the gnd right to the slot to power it. Posted asking for advice, then will proceed.

Thanks for your help!

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
madjester
(@veriestvarlet)
Eminent Member

Solved! The technique above works a charm. Bypassing the normal power and putting 12v right into the rail. (Picture in this topic.) Though it's a moot point, there's a Aorus Box with a 2070 now, just buy that.

ReplyQuote
(@chris_goo)

Wonderful! THX for your experience.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Yang Zhang
(@yang_zhang)

I have the same box and 2070 itx gpu.
I didn't go the riser yet but i found i could power up the gpu if 
1:remove the gpu and just connect the box with power and tb3 cable.
2: computer should recognize the box
3: unplug the box power and tb3 cable
4:put the 2070 itx in the box
5: plug the power and tb3 back 
i see the 2070 in my computer.
But if i turn off the computer  and restart computer. the 2070 is gone and you have to do from step 1 again.
I feel it could be fix by some firmware upgrade.

ReplyQuote
madjester
(@veriestvarlet)
Eminent Member

@yang_zhang Sounds like this is a similar result to starting up the box, with PCIE connectors attached, and sliding the card into the box once all is powered up; basically it gets the boot on the card to trigger since the slot is already powered. (Though it's a tad dicey for sure, the slot & card pins are pretty thin and it'd suck to get a short by miss-aligning.)

Definitely could be solved with a firmware update but I very much doubt that will happen since the new generation of card has been announced and they wouldn't want to hurt the sales of the new box. 

What will be interesting to see is if the new box can work with more cards since the power arrangement may be different. (Or it's just modified to work with the card sold with it and nothing will change, which would be unfortunate.)

This post was modified 1 year ago

ReplyQuote
Yang Zhang
(@yang_zhang)

if we can flash the 2070 box firmware (you can dowonload from gigabyte now) to our 1070 box i think it will be done.
the 2070 box H2D firmware is actually the same one from 1070 H2D firmware file(there are 2 bins when you download 1070 game box H2D firmware both called AORUS_GAMING_BOX_VER10H2D.bin).

This post was modified 1 year ago

ReplyQuote
Yang Zhang
(@yang_zhang)

Today i tried before turn off the computer. first remove AGB device from intel thunderblot device manager.
then unplug the enclosure power and cable. turn off the computer.
turn on the computer and plug back seems work .

ReplyQuote