Unable to get Akitio Node to work with Dell XPS 13 9370 - HELP

Notifications
Clear all

Unable to get Akitio Node to work with Dell XPS 13 9370 - HELP  

RSS

Alex Sisler
(@alex_sisler)

I have an Akitio Node with a EVGA Nvidia GTX 1050 SC installed hooked to the Dell XPS 9370 via one of the thunderbolt 3 ports. When I connect it I get a message from the Thunderbolt 3 software saying that this device may not work properly and when I look at the About section it says that external GPUs not supported. I thought thunderbolt 3 enclosures like this one were supposed to be plug and play? I have updated everything that I can think of: windows, thunderbolt drivers, thunderbolt nvm, akitio firmware. Nothing works. What's odd is that the PC sees the GTX 1050, but doesn't let me utilize it. Any help would be appreciated! Here are the thunderbolt specs:

Thunderbolt Software:

Software package version: 17.4.79.510
Application version: 17.4.79.16
service version: 17.4.79.13
controller driver version: 17.4.79.11

Thunderbolt Controller:
Thunderbolt generation: Thunderbolt 3 (15D2)
number of ports: 2
security level: User Authorization (SL1)
NVM Firmware version: 40.00
External GPUs supported: No

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

How did you update the AKiTiO Node firmware? I recall the very first firmware of this enclosure only works with eGFX certified computers, which has a "Yes" next to External GPUs supported.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11.0 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Alex Sisler
(@alex_sisler)

@itsage

I followed the steps outlined on Akitio's website, but I actually ended up resolving this. The thunderbolt software still says that the egpu is not supported, but everything is working fine now.  I read somewhere on a forum that a lot of people see this and it can be ignored. I uninstalled my nvidia drivers, reinstalled and everything started working. Thank you for your input though!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote