Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
[Unboxing] AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box Thunderbolt 3 eGPU

[Unboxing] AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box Thunderbolt 3 eGPU  

of  5
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The RTX 2070 Gaming Box is finally here! As @gbt_brian stated in the pre-order thread, the official launch is February 15th. My sample unit arrived this morning. Here are some unboxing pictures and my first impressions.

The retail box is almost identical to the AORUS GTX 1070/1080 Gaming Box. The most obvious difference is the RTX logo instead of GTX.

Opening the box reveals a carrying case with the Gaming Box inside. Accessories are power cord, .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable, and a shoulder strap for the carrying case. Almost everything is the same as the other three Gaming Boxes.

Here’s the sideview to show the custom mini-ITX RTX 2070. This is the same cooler treatment as in the 1080 and RX 580 Gaming Box. It sports a naked look, no plastic shroud and a 130mm fan. The one distinguished feature of this RTX 2070 Gaming Box is USB-C port in the rear I/O.

I connected this eGFX to my 2018 13″ MacBook Pro and can confirm Power Delivery is 100W. Thunderbolt firmware version is 27.27. There’s no web drivers for Nvidia 900-series and newer cards so I booted into Windows to check other functionalities.

Nvidia eGPU can work plug-and-play in Boot Camp on the 2018 MacBook Pro. If you encounter error 12, there are workarounds such as automate-eGPU EFI, rEFInd, and apple_set_os.efi. Here are the screen captures of HWiNFO64 and CUDA-Z

As can be seen above, the AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box has a firmware that’s tuned for half H2D speed. This is a Thunderbolt firmware tuning to remedy USB stability issues in eGPU enclosure with expansion I/O. Gigabyte provides a firmware with full H2D speed. I quickly ran Unigine through the MacBook Pro internal display.

I will be doing tests for a full review of this eGFX. Please let me know if I left out any information you’d like to know.

This topic was modified 7 months ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

noxo, Jiann Yeh, eegeepeeyou and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Seotheneo
(@seotheneo)

So excited to see this!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nx345
(@nx345)

So great !
When you say "There's no web drivers for Nvidia 900-series and newer cards" what do you mean exactly >

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Got the Shakes
(@got-the-shakes)

I'm so tempted to get one of there in the group buy

ReplyQuote
Rhodius
(@rhodius)

Hi, can you please confirm the PD 100 watts, is that using the USB-C while another TB connection runs between laptop and the enclosure?

I'm thinking this won't work for XPS15 9550 but will work on a newer laptop which has separate USB-C and TB.
Thanks.

Irrespective of my question above, this looks good. Take your time and I'll look forward to your detailed review.

This post was modified 8 months ago

ReplyQuote
Ronll21
(@ronll21)

Thanks!, 

few questions!

I would like to know if there is any difference in the box compared to the older ones, 

also do the fans turn off if you turn off the PC and keep the box connected?

have you tried using keyboard, mouse and other usb devices while running a test?

ReplyQuote
demian_vi
(@demian_vi)

what about the noise issue the GTX enclosures had, is it fixed here?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I have not dissembled this new Gaming Box but all components seem to be the same as the other Gaming Boxes. The new component is the RTX 2070 graphics card.

This post was modified 8 months ago

ReplyQuote
PizzaPino
(@pizzapino)

Posted by: Ronll21

also do the fans turn off if you turn off the PC and keep the box connected?

Aorus says that it’s fixed but I dont have the box to test it.

Posted by: nx345

So great !
When you say "There's no web drivers for Nvidia 900-series and newer cards" what do you mean exactly >

There just aren’t no NVIDIA drivers for the newest Mac version.

ReplyQuote
Yang Zhang
(@yang_zhang)

Hi just want to know any hardware difference between the old and new gaming box? Beside of the card of course?
Like it's using the new Intel Titan ridge?

ReplyQuote
omardesu
(@omardesu)
Trusted Member

@itsage I feel so sad that this 2070 Gaming Box came out after I just finished building my 1070 Ti with ASUS XG Station Pro since that pricing would have been the same.  Oh well... 

BTW, I think you meant to say "1080 and RX 580 Gaming Box" in the 4th paragraph and not "2080 and RX 580 Gaming Box" since that 2080 box doesn't exist (yet.... 😆 ).

This post was modified 7 months ago

1070 Ti: 2014 Mac mini / 2016 MBP 15"
Mini ITX Build in Dan A4 Case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@omardesu Your GTX 1070 Ti + XG Station Pro is likely quieter than the Gaming Box. Performance difference may not be that significant. Nothing to feel sad imo. Also thank you for the correction. I fixed the typo.

ReplyQuote
(@valkeriefire)

I have an Aorus 2070 eGPU on order as well which I'll be testing with a 7700hq XPS 15 and a 8750H XPS 15.   

While the performance isn't truly impressive in the benchmarks above, we have to account for a significant CPU bottleneck.   Also, one of my previous desktops, a 4770k@4.5ghz with an EVGA GTX 1070 SC got an almost identical Valley Benchmark score.  So in that sense, the score above is respectable.

i7-4770k@4.5ghz and GTX 1070 = Valley 3863
i5-8259U@3.6ghz and RTX 2070= Valley 3948

Considering the 4770k overclocked is roughly 10-20% faster than the i5-8259U, we should see a fair improvement with more powerful CPU laptops.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8259U/1537vsm543736

Dell XPS 9560, 7700hq, 2 Lane TB3: XPS 9570 8750H, 4 Lane TB3 enroute & Aorus 2070 eGPU enroute

ReplyQuote
sunny
(@sunny)

I also have this on order to try out with i5 Mac Mini 2018, will share my results once I get it...

Mac Mini 2018 / Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070

ReplyQuote
Max Pham
(@maxpham)

I got this yesterday and tried to make it work with my MBP 15" 2017 and GTX 1080 Gaming Box (bought more than a year ago on this forum too :-D)

Image GTX1080 RTX2070

It took me a while to figure out the correct port to plug it in. The right ports, which I usually used with my GTX 1080, did not work with the new RTX 2070. Code 43 was shown in Device Manager. Only the bottom left port worked. I guessed it was the problem of Windows, not the Gaming Box.

DeviceManager GTX1080 RTX2070

Both Gaming Boxes did not turn on simultaneously at the first try. I solved it by plugging in the RTX 2070 and the GTX 1080 2 seconds later. Type-C port was not recognized correctly until I downloaded and uninstalled the newest NVidia driver.
Type-C works flawlessly with either a display or a USB device. However, I can only plug those devices after booting to Windows. If anything is connected to the Type-C port at the beginning, black screen will be shown up in both internal and external displays. I don't know how to solve this problem.

RGBFusion20 GTX1080 RTX2070

RGB Fusion 2.0 shows both Gaming Boxes. Unfortunately, there is no option to sync their LEDs.

PhysX2 GTX1080 RTX2070

I have seven 4K displays at my workplace. Either the RTX 2070 or GTX 1080 alone can handle 4 displays without any issue. 4 displays on RTX 2070 + 1 on GTX 1080 still works. However, 4 on RTX 2070 + 2 or 3 on GTX 1080 results in screen flashing every 30-60 seconds. Not sure if it is an error of Windows 10 because I perceive the same symptom on my PC which has a GTX and an AMD card.
I am doing AI processing so I will take a look at the different between the boxes in term of computing performance 😉 .

2017 15" MBP RP560 + [email protected] (AORUS Gaming Box) macOS10.13.1 & Win10

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@maxpham That’s an awesome setup! The spinning AORUS logo somehow looks like a seahorse head.  😆

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Valkeriefire

I have an Aorus 2070 eGPU on order as well which I'll be testing with a 7700hq XPS 15 and a 8750H XPS 15.   

While the performance isn't truly impressive in the benchmarks above, we have to account for a significant CPU bottleneck.   Also, one of my previous desktops, a 4770k@4.5ghz with an EVGA GTX 1070 SC got an almost identical Valley Benchmark score.  So in that sense, the score above is respectable.

i7-4770k@4.5ghz and GTX 1070 = Valley 3863
i5-8259U@3.6ghz and RTX 2070= Valley 3948

Considering the 4770k overclocked is roughly 10-20% faster than the i5-8259U, we should see a fair improvement with more powerful CPU laptops.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8259U/1537vsm543736

I cant remember off the top of my head what the settings were when I ran this benchmark but I dont think it was under 4.2ghz very often (delid on water and typically at 4.5 plus). It's possible I did a stock run I suppose. 
[img] [/img]

I was actually pretty impressed with the results in the original post. I have an XPS 13 (9380) with the 8565u coming and am waiting on the 2070 gaming box; cant wait to see how it performs. If it gets close to the current desktop, I may just get rid of it.

XPS 13 (9380)/AORUS Gaming Box 2070

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Trusted Member

Hello all, I received my Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070 version (from group buy) today and have the following numbers to share. I am running an XPS 9570 with an i9 processor and using an external 4K Monitor.

Installing it was not difficult. The only points of interest was that I had to disable my dGPU (GTX 1050ti) and unplug and re-plug the Gaming Box's TB3 cable for the unit to detect.

I ran a Superposition 4K Optimized benchmark and attached the screenshot. I was unable to get a screenshot for the Valley Benchmark however numbers are as follows for a 1440P run on High Settings.

AVG FPS: 108.3
Score: 4532
Min FPS: 35.7
Max FPS: 133.1

Using MSI's afterburner, I did an O/C scan and received a +153 mhz avg O/C. I used this offset and a +980 mem O/C for the runs above. Please let me know if you have any more specific questions on the unit itself or the customer experience of the group buy.

Superposition 4k

madweazl liked
ReplyQuote
blerghcity
(@blerghcity)
Eminent Member

"The only points of interest was that I had to disable my dGPU (GTX 1050ti)"

How does one go about disabling their dGPU (I have an mx150)? I think this may be part of my problem with my 2070 gaming box

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

Posted by: blerghcity

"The only points of interest was that I had to disable my dGPU (GTX 1050ti)"

How does one go about disabling their dGPU (I have an mx150)? I think this may be part of my problem with my 2070 gaming box

I think this is typically done in the Device Manager; right click, properties, and disable device. You can re-enable the device through the nVidia control panel.

XPS 13 (9380)/AORUS Gaming Box 2070

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Trusted Member

@blerghcity, I think I have heard of your case before over on the r/egpu subreddit. I am guessing that you have a Razer laptop that uses the MX150? The bottom-line is that due to Razer's use of a proprietary driver for their MX150 implementation, you cannot install Nvidia's drivers and use both the MX150 and eGPU at the same time. In order to use the eGPU RTX 2070, you will have to uninstall the MX150 using DDU, disable auto-detect, restart, and then install the normal Nvidia drivers. Once this is done, you will be able to use any Nvidia eGPU without problem.

If you are reddit user, I can refer you to /u/aramisathei who ran into the same problem with his Razer Blade 2019 ultrabook. As of now, this is the only way to make use of your eGPU. If you aren't using a Razer product, this may be a problem that pertains to the MX150 in general. 

My only other tip to you would be to not waste time with Razer's tech support. They are polite but seem to operate under the M.O. of running you around in circles until you just give up and stop asking them. You will likely get the answers you need from this forum or reddit. Good luck and do let us know if you figure out a work-around!

ReplyQuote
blerghcity
(@blerghcity)
Eminent Member

@ishikawa_goemon thank you for the info! Unfortunately I do not have a razer but a Matebook X Pro. So, I'm not sure how much of my problems are due to the Gaming Box itself, my noobness, or the 2 PCI lanes in the TB3 port of my laptop. I found the MX150 in my device manager and disabled it, but I'm still getting occasional problems. I've been just using excel and word all day with the external and internal on- sometimes my external 1080p monitor will freeze, or I'll lose connection to the mouse or keyboard plugged into the gaming box usb ports, and I'll have to unplug and replug to get it going again. I tried playing Overwatch once yesterday, on the external display with the internal turned off and it crashed the computer; the gaming box wouldn't work until after a full power cycle. Not sure the problem yet...I'm wondering if I need an upgraded PSU in the gaming box- some threads have mentioned doing that with more power intensive cards in their gaming boxes and it fixing the problem. 

I will, however, check the reddit you mentioned and look into DDU to disable the MX150. I'm just not sure I've got it narrowed down to the MX150 being the problem yet, though  😐

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Trusted Member

@blerghcity, read through your posts and I hope you were able to find some useful information on Reddit. I think everyone on this forum has had the shared experience of feeling frustrated at having a new toy that, as Jenson would say doesn't "just work".

Concerning your USB issues, I saw that there was a firmware upgrade for the Gaming Box dated to early January of this year. One of the firmware updates talk about balancing USB so have you tried doing that update? Might help with the peripheral issues.

Finally, some "shot in the dark" observations. The symptoms you mentioned reminded me of when I had peripherals on a USB hub which weren't getting sufficient power. Sometimes when power protection is tripped, peripherals just power off until power cycled. There is a post here of another user upgrading a small form factor PSU (drop-in) which upped the power limit to 500 or 550 watt [believe it was vega56 nano or something like that]. Maybe this higher over-head would help you out? Are you using the gaming box for power delivery too? Alternatively, the 2-lanes of TB2 are getting jammed up since you have signal throughput as well as the signals from the devices competing for limited resources.

ReplyQuote
sunny
(@sunny)

Posted by: sunny

I also have this on order to try out with i5 Mac Mini 2018, will share my results once I get it...

So I finally got it and plugged it all in. Surprisingly was plug and play with no issues, it even kept the internal intel gpu active showing multiple screen setup initially, but I only have 1 monitor so made egpu one primary.

Only issue is that fans are a bit loud so hoping its same fans as the previous box and look to replace them...

ReplyQuote
blerghcity
(@blerghcity)
Eminent Member

I will definitely check the firmware when I get back home, @ishikawa_goemon , thanks for the tip. And yes, upgrading the PSU is definitely on my mind. I read that post too. I'm just not thrilled that a brand new $650 piece of hardware could immediately need a $100 power upgrade. 

The 2-lane TB3 could be the issue too, but i've read that simple peripherals like a mouse and keyboard shouldn't take that much bandwidth. And if so, I thought the symptom of such a thing would be the GPU not performing as well, not the usb devices completely shutting down. Who knows though, I still have a lot to learn!

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Trusted Member

Follow-up for the Aorus Gaming Box. These are the 3DMark Timespy and Firestrike scores. For reference, I am on an i9 XPS 9570. I used an OC Scanner derived overclock of +184MHz and +980 MHz on the memory. All of these tests were performed while connected to an external monitor via display port. The benchmarks did not allow me to select resolution but they looked like 1080p to 1440p. 

I noted that the highest temperature reached by the eGPU was 66 degrees Celsius during both tests. The frequency for the core ranged from 1950-1995MHz.

Annotation 2019 02 22 175735
Annotation 2019 02 22 174926
Annotation 2019 02 22 173437

ReplyQuote
(@valkeriefire)

Hey ishikawa, can you post a stock run with no overclock? of 3dMark FireStrike 1080 and TimeSpy (standard defaults to 2560x1440)
I'm trying to compare to mine and see if mine is working correctly.

Dell XPS 9560, 7700hq, 2 Lane TB3: XPS 9570 8750H, 4 Lane TB3 enroute & Aorus 2070 eGPU enroute

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Trusted Member

@valkeriefire, as requested on the Gaming Box RTX 2070 with no O/C and at stock settings. Thanks for the info on default resolutions for the benchmarks.
For Firestrike, I noted that temps settled in around 61 degrees celsius and the frequency went from 1830-1845MHz
For Timespy, I noted temps ranging from 65-68 degrees with frequency going from 1800-1830 MHz.

Annotation 2019 02 22 211552
Annotation 2019 02 22 210738

ReplyQuote
(@valkeriefire)

Thank you for posting that.  My best GPU score on tinespy was 6850ish. So just for reference this clearly shows the superior performance of higher resolutions for egpu.  Your fire strike 1080 score is roughly GTX 1060 levels.  But your timespy score is just a hair under GTX 1080 levels.  Your cpu scores are awesome.  The i9 mops my i7-8750. I assumed the i9 would be thermally bound and thus not much better than the i7, but the benchmarks show otherwise.

ReplyQuote
sunny
(@sunny)

Interestingly, I got a better GPU score with my Mac Mini for this card but worse CPU score...

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6319845

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Trusted Member

@sunny and @valkeriefire, since there are a few of us with the RTX 2070 Gaming Box, I am curious as to the effect of "silicon lottery" on this particular chip. I am curious as to if this could account for the better score posted by @sunny's Mac Mini. I am guessing that these chips are probably the "non-A" SKU and thus, already binned at a lower segment. What kind of automatic scanner derived O/Cs did you guys achieve with your chip?

Out of the box, mine settled in at an average O/C of +153MHz just using the Scanner software with MSI's afterburner.
I played around with the settings and have so far been able to get it running stably at +184MHz.
I noted that +980MHz was near the peak for getting extra performance with memory O/C. Too much past that, my scores started falling.

ReplyQuote
jerry Kansai
(@joi_kansai)
Estimable Member

Interestingly, I got a better GPU score with my Mac Mini for this card but worse CPU score...

@sunny you’re comparing i5 vs i9.

Razer Blade 15 2018, i7 8750H 16gb ddr4 2666mhz 1tb 970Evo
Razer Blade Stealth 12,5 2016 i7 7500U 8gb ddr3 1866mhz 500gb 970Evo
MacBook Pro 13 mid 2012 i5 3210M 12gb ddr3 1600mhz 500GB HDD
Razer Core V2 rtx 2070 Black 2040mhz Boost clock
Previous setting: rtx 2080ti Asus Turbo, rtx 2080 xc gaming, rtx 2080 Fe, Zotac Mini 1080ti, Evga 1080 FTW2 gaming.
Dual Monitor Predator XB241YU 165Hz 1440p, LG l24UD58 60Hz 4K
Portable Monitor Magedok 1440p HDR 60Hz usbA/C monitor

ReplyQuote
sunny
(@sunny)

Posted by: Joikansai

Yeah but didn’t think there would be that much difference between a desktop i5 and a mobile i9.

ReplyQuote
sunny
(@sunny)

Posted by: ishikawa_goemon

@sunny and @valkeriefire, since there are a few of us with the RTX 2070 Gaming Box, I am curious as to the effect of "silicon lottery" on this particular chip. I am curious as to if this could account for the better score posted by @sunny's Mac Mini. I am guessing that these chips are probably the "non-A" SKU and thus, already binned at a lower segment. What kind of automatic scanner derived O/Cs did you guys achieve with your chip?

Out of the box, mine settled in at an average O/C of +153MHz just using the Scanner software with MSI's afterburner.
I played around with the settings and have so far been able to get it running stably at +184MHz.
I noted that +980MHz was near the peak for getting extra performance with memory O/C. Too much past that, my scores started falling.

I will run the OC auto scanner to see what I get. I think the better result I have posted so far might be due to the titan ridge controller in the Mac mini with direct access to cpu for lower latency.

ReplyQuote
jerry Kansai
(@joi_kansai)
Estimable Member

Posted by: Joikansai

Yeah but didn’t think there would be that much difference between a desktop i5 and a mobile i9.

It’s slower than laptop i7 8750H on cinebench multicore last time i checked, pretty sure laptops i9 will perform better.
About OC scanner it’s not accurate on egpu setting sometimes may interrupt display connection when you’re using external monitor and score may be higher than it should stable on your setting. For 2070 you can start from +150 core, and go every 10 plus until 3Dmark can’t run it.

Razer Blade 15 2018, i7 8750H 16gb ddr4 2666mhz 1tb 970Evo
Razer Blade Stealth 12,5 2016 i7 7500U 8gb ddr3 1866mhz 500gb 970Evo
MacBook Pro 13 mid 2012 i5 3210M 12gb ddr3 1600mhz 500GB HDD
Razer Core V2 rtx 2070 Black 2040mhz Boost clock
Previous setting: rtx 2080ti Asus Turbo, rtx 2080 xc gaming, rtx 2080 Fe, Zotac Mini 1080ti, Evga 1080 FTW2 gaming.
Dual Monitor Predator XB241YU 165Hz 1440p, LG l24UD58 60Hz 4K
Portable Monitor Magedok 1440p HDR 60Hz usbA/C monitor

ReplyQuote
(@valkeriefire)

Ok I finally got my drivers working correctly and can access Nvidia control panel.  Got a good Timespy score that I am happy with.  7115 graphics and 6329 physics.  A GTX 1080 gets 7300 graphics and a desktop 2070 gets 8300. So we can meet a 1080 but are 15% under a real 2070.    I got a Superposition 4k Optimized of 6484 at stock clocks.  My RTX 2070 seems to run at 1930mhz stock.   

ReplyQuote
 of  5