[Unboxing] AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box Thunderbolt 3 eGPU  

RSS

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
February 9, 2019 4:01 am  

The RTX 2070 Gaming Box is finally here! As @gbt_brian stated in the pre-order thread, the official launch is February 15th. My sample unit arrived this morning. Here are some unboxing pictures and my first impressions.

The retail box is almost identical to the AORUS GTX 1070/1080 Gaming Box. The most obvious difference is the RTX logo instead of GTX.

Opening the box reveals a carrying case with the Gaming Box inside. Accessories are power cord, .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable, and a shoulder strap for the carrying case. Almost everything is the same as the other three Gaming Boxes.

Here's the sideview to show the custom mini-ITX RTX 2070. This is the same cooler treatment as in the 1080 and RX 580 Gaming Box. It sports a naked look, no plastic shroud and a 130mm fan. The one distinguished feature of this RTX 2070 Gaming Box is USB-C port in the rear I/O.

I connected this eGFX to my 2018 13" MacBook Pro and can confirm Power Delivery is 100W. Thunderbolt firmware version is 27.27. There's no web drivers for Nvidia 900-series and newer cards so I booted into Windows to check other functionalities.

Nvidia eGPU can work plug-and-play in Boot Camp on the 2018 MacBook Pro. If you encounter error 12, there are workarounds such as automate-eGPU EFI, rEFInd, and apple_set_os.efi. Here are the screen captures of HWiNFO64 and CUDA-Z

As can be seen above, the AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box has a firmware that's tuned for half H2D speed. This is a Thunderbolt firmware tuning to remedy USB stability issues in eGPU enclosure with expansion I/O. Gigabyte provides a firmware with full H2D speed. I quickly ran Unigine through the MacBook Pro internal display.

I will be doing tests for a full review of this eGFX. Please let me know if I left out any information you’d like to know.

This topic was modified 5 days ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Seotheneo
(@seotheneo)
February 9, 2019 4:20 am  

So excited to see this!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nx345
(@nx345)
February 9, 2019 4:31 am  

So great !
When you say "There's no web drivers for Nvidia 900-series and newer cards" what do you mean exactly >

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Got the Shakes
(@got-the-shakes)
February 9, 2019 4:58 am  

I'm so tempted to get one of there in the group buy

ReplyQuote
Rhodius
(@rhodius)
February 9, 2019 5:38 am  

Hi, can you please confirm the PD 100 watts, is that using the USB-C while another TB connection runs between laptop and the enclosure?

I'm thinking this won't work for XPS15 9550 but will work on a newer laptop which has separate USB-C and TB.
Thanks.

Irrespective of my question above, this looks good. Take your time and I'll look forward to your detailed review.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
Ronll21
(@ronll21)
February 9, 2019 2:38 pm  

Thanks!, 

few questions!

I would like to know if there is any difference in the box compared to the older ones, 

also do the fans turn off if you turn off the PC and keep the box connected?

have you tried using keyboard, mouse and other usb devices while running a test?

ReplyQuote
demian_vi
(@demian_vi)
February 9, 2019 3:49 pm  

what about the noise issue the GTX enclosures had, is it fixed here?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
February 9, 2019 4:01 pm  

I have not dissembled this new Gaming Box but all components seem to be the same as the other Gaming Boxes. The new component is the RTX 2070 graphics card.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
PizzaPino
(@pizzapino)
February 9, 2019 4:15 pm  
Posted by: Ronll21

also do the fans turn off if you turn off the PC and keep the box connected?

Aorus says that it’s fixed but I dont have the box to test it.

Posted by: nx345

So great !
When you say "There's no web drivers for Nvidia 900-series and newer cards" what do you mean exactly >

There just aren’t no NVIDIA drivers for the newest Mac version.

ReplyQuote
Yang Zhang
(@yang_zhang)
February 10, 2019 4:46 am  

Hi just want to know any hardware difference between the old and new gaming box? Beside of the card of course?
Like it's using the new Intel Titan ridge?

ReplyQuote
omardesu
(@omardesu)
Eminent Member
February 12, 2019 4:21 am  

@itsage I feel so sad that this 2070 Gaming Box came out after I just finished building my 1070 Ti with ASUS XG Station Pro since that pricing would have been the same.  Oh well... 

BTW, I think you meant to say "1080 and RX 580 Gaming Box" in the 4th paragraph and not "2080 and RX 580 Gaming Box" since that 2080 box doesn't exist (yet.... 😆 ).

This post was modified 1 week ago

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
February 12, 2019 4:39 pm  

@omardesu Your GTX 1070 Ti + XG Station Pro is likely quieter than the Gaming Box. Performance difference may not be that significant. Nothing to feel sad imo. Also thank you for the correction. I fixed the typo.

ReplyQuote
(@valkeriefire)
February 17, 2019 9:08 pm  

I have an Aorus 2070 eGPU on order as well which I'll be testing with a 7700hq XPS 15 and a 8750H XPS 15.   

While the performance isn't truly impressive in the benchmarks above, we have to account for a significant CPU bottleneck.   Also, one of my previous desktops, a 4770k@4.5ghz with an EVGA GTX 1070 SC got an almost identical Valley Benchmark score.  So in that sense, the score above is respectable.

i7-4770k@4.5ghz and GTX 1070 = Valley 3863
i5-8259U@3.6ghz and RTX 2070= Valley 3948

Considering the 4770k overclocked is roughly 10-20% faster than the i5-8259U, we should see a fair improvement with more powerful CPU laptops.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8259U/1537vsm543736

Dell XPS 9560, 7700hq, 2 Lane TB3: XPS 9570 8750H, 4 Lane TB3 enroute & Aorus 2070 eGPU enroute

ReplyQuote
sunny
(@sunny)
February 18, 2019 10:52 pm  

I also have this on order to try out with i5 Mac Mini 2018, will share my results once I get it...

ReplyQuote
Max Pham
(@maxpham)
February 19, 2019 3:30 am  

I got this yesterday and tried to make it work with my MBP 15" 2017 and GTX 1080 Gaming Box (bought more than a year ago on this forum too :-D)

It took me a while to figure out the correct port to plug it in. The right ports, which I usually used with my GTX 1080, did not work with the new RTX 2070. Code 43 was shown in Device Manager. Only the bottom left port worked. I guessed it was the problem of Windows, not the Gaming Box.

Both Gaming Boxes did not turn on simultaneously at the first try. I solved it by plugging in the RTX 2070 and the GTX 1080 2 seconds later. Type-C port was not recognized correctly until I downloaded and uninstalled the newest NVidia driver.
Type-C works flawlessly with either a display or a USB device. However, I can only plug those devices after booting to Windows. If anything is connected to the Type-C port at the beginning, black screen will be shown up in both internal and external displays. I don't know how to solve this problem.

RGB Fusion 2.0 shows both Gaming Boxes. Unfortunately, there is no option to sync their LEDs.

I have seven 4K displays at my workplace. Either the RTX 2070 or GTX 1080 alone can handle 4 displays without any issue. 4 displays on RTX 2070 + 1 on GTX 1080 still works. However, 4 on RTX 2070 + 2 or 3 on GTX 1080 results in screen flashing every 30-60 seconds. Not sure if it is an error of Windows 10 because I perceive the same symptom on my PC which has a GTX and an AMD card.
I am doing AI processing so I will take a look at the different between the boxes in term of computing performance 😉 .

2017 15" MBP RP560 + [email protected] (AORUS Gaming Box) macOS10.13.1 & Win10

Joikansai and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
February 20, 2019 3:14 pm  

@maxpham That's an awesome setup! The spinning AORUS logo somehow looks like a seahorse head.  😆

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
February 20, 2019 5:18 pm  
Posted by: Valkeriefire

I have an Aorus 2070 eGPU on order as well which I'll be testing with a 7700hq XPS 15 and a 8750H XPS 15.   

While the performance isn't truly impressive in the benchmarks above, we have to account for a significant CPU bottleneck.   Also, one of my previous desktops, a 4770k@4.5ghz with an EVGA GTX 1070 SC got an almost identical Valley Benchmark score.  So in that sense, the score above is respectable.

i7-4770k@4.5ghz and GTX 1070 = Valley 3863
i5-8259U@3.6ghz and RTX 2070= Valley 3948

Considering the 4770k overclocked is roughly 10-20% faster than the i5-8259U, we should see a fair improvement with more powerful CPU laptops.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8259U/1537vsm543736

I cant remember off the top of my head what the settings were when I ran this benchmark but I dont think it was under 4.2ghz very often (delid on water and typically at 4.5 plus). It's possible I did a stock run I suppose. 
[img] [/img]

I was actually pretty impressed with the results in the original post. I have an XPS 13 (9380) with the 8565u coming and am waiting on the 2070 gaming box; cant wait to see how it performs. If it gets close to the current desktop, I may just get rid of it.

XPS 13 (9380)/AORUS Gaming Box 2070

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Eminent Member
February 20, 2019 8:13 pm  

Hello all, I received my Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070 version (from group buy) today and have the following numbers to share. I am running an XPS 9570 with an i9 processor and using an external 4K Monitor.

Installing it was not difficult. The only points of interest was that I had to disable my dGPU (GTX 1050ti) and unplug and re-plug the Gaming Box's TB3 cable for the unit to detect.

I ran a Superposition 4K Optimized benchmark and attached the screenshot. I was unable to get a screenshot for the Valley Benchmark however numbers are as follows for a 1440P run on High Settings.

AVG FPS: 108.3
Score: 4532
Min FPS: 35.7
Max FPS: 133.1

Using MSI's afterburner, I did an O/C scan and received a +153 mhz avg O/C. I used this offset and a +980 mem O/C for the runs above. Please let me know if you have any more specific questions on the unit itself or the customer experience of the group buy.

madweazl liked
ReplyQuote
blerghcity
(@blerghcity)
February 20, 2019 9:21 pm  

"The only points of interest was that I had to disable my dGPU (GTX 1050ti)"

How does one go about disabling their dGPU (I have an mx150)? I think this may be part of my problem with my 2070 gaming box. 

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
February 20, 2019 10:33 pm  
Posted by: blerghcity

"The only points of interest was that I had to disable my dGPU (GTX 1050ti)"

How does one go about disabling their dGPU (I have an mx150)? I think this may be part of my problem with my 2070 gaming box. 

I think this is typically done in the Device Manager; right click, properties, and disable device. You can re-enable the device through the nVidia control panel.

XPS 13 (9380)/AORUS Gaming Box 2070

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Eminent Member
February 20, 2019 11:14 pm  

@blerghcity, I think I have heard of your case before over on the r/egpu subreddit. I am guessing that you have a Razer laptop that uses the MX150? The bottom-line is that due to Razer's use of a proprietary driver for their MX150 implementation, you cannot install Nvidia's drivers and use both the MX150 and eGPU at the same time. In order to use the eGPU RTX 2070, you will have to uninstall the MX150 using DDU, disable auto-detect, restart, and then install the normal Nvidia drivers. Once this is done, you will be able to use any Nvidia eGPU without problem.

If you are reddit user, I can refer you to /u/aramisathei who ran into the same problem with his Razer Blade 2019 ultrabook. As of now, this is the only way to make use of your eGPU. If you aren't using a Razer product, this may be a problem that pertains to the MX150 in general. 

My only other tip to you would be to not waste time with Razer's tech support. They are polite but seem to operate under the M.O. of running you around in circles until you just give up and stop asking them. You will likely get the answers you need from this forum or reddit. Good luck and do let us know if you figure out a work-around!

ReplyQuote