[Unboxing] AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box Thu...

[Unboxing] AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box Thunderbolt 3 eGPU  

Page 1 / 18
  RSS

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Feb 9, 2019 4:01 am  

The RTX 2070 Gaming Box is finally here! As @gbt_brian stated in the pre-order thread, the official launch is February 15th. My sample unit arrived this morning. Here are some unboxing pictures and my first impressions.

The retail box is almost identical to the AORUS GTX 1070/1080 Gaming Box. The most obvious difference is the RTX logo instead of GTX.

Opening the box reveals a carrying case with the Gaming Box inside. Accessories are power cord, .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable, and a shoulder strap for the carrying case. Almost everything is the same as the other three Gaming Boxes.

Here's the sideview to show the custom mini-ITX RTX 2070. This is the same cooler treatment as in the 1080 and RX 580 Gaming Box. It sports a naked look, no plastic shroud and a 130mm fan. The one distinguished feature of this RTX 2070 Gaming Box is USB-C port in the rear I/O.

I connected this eGFX to my 2018 13" MacBook Pro and can confirm Power Delivery is 100W. Thunderbolt firmware version is 27.27. There's no web drivers for Nvidia 900-series and newer cards so I booted into Windows to check other functionalities.

Nvidia eGPU can work plug-and-play in Boot Camp on the 2018 MacBook Pro. If you encounter error 12, there are workarounds such as automate-eGPU EFI, rEFInd, and apple_set_os.efi. Here are the screen captures of HWiNFO64 and CUDA-Z

As can be seen above, the AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box has a firmware that's tuned for half H2D speed. This is a Thunderbolt firmware tuning to remedy USB stability issues in eGPU enclosure with expansion I/O. Gigabyte provides a firmware with full H2D speed. I quickly ran Unigine through the MacBook Pro internal display.

I will be doing tests for a full review of this eGFX. Please let me know if I left out any information you’d like to know.

This topic was modified 4 months ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

noxo, Jiann Yeh, eegeepeeyou and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Seotheneo
(@seotheneo)
Feb 9, 2019 4:20 am  

So excited to see this!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nx345
(@nx345)
Feb 9, 2019 4:31 am  

So great !
When you say "There's no web drivers for Nvidia 900-series and newer cards" what do you mean exactly >

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Got the Shakes
(@got-the-shakes)
Feb 9, 2019 4:58 am  

I'm so tempted to get one of there in the group buy

ReplyQuote
Rhodius
(@rhodius)
Feb 9, 2019 5:38 am  

Hi, can you please confirm the PD 100 watts, is that using the USB-C while another TB connection runs between laptop and the enclosure?

I'm thinking this won't work for XPS15 9550 but will work on a newer laptop which has separate USB-C and TB.
Thanks.

Irrespective of my question above, this looks good. Take your time and I'll look forward to your detailed review.

This post was modified 4 months ago

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 18