Clear all

[Unboxing] AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box Thunderbolt 3 eGPU  

of  16
  RSS

Nikunj (Nik)
(@nikunj_nik)
Eminent Member

Here are the similar problems I have been facing :-

1) Sometimes led does not turn on. I simply do a complete power recycle of both Gpu and my Yoga ( EGPU unplugged) and it starts workign again. 
2)I was getting the same 'Usb device malfunction' error. I have simply ignored it as it really did not seem to affect anything much.

Note: I dont have the RGB Software installed as I really dont change my LED light settings and let it run as it came out of the box.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
blerghcity
(@blerghcity)
Eminent Member

@nikunj_nik thank you for the reply! Unfortunately a power cycle doesn't fix my lights. It used to be that that lights wouldn't turn on whenever the eGPU wouldn't connect with the laptop when I plugged it in. If I plug in and the gpu cooling fan doesn't spin I know this has happened. This still happens sometimes and for me can be fixed with a power cycle or simply unplugging and replugging the TB3 cord to my laptop a second time. It used to be that the LEDs not turning on (in addition to the lack of fan spin) was indicative of the connection between the eGPU and laptop not being succesfully made after plugging in. Now, the LEDs never come on at all, even when a successful connection is made. Very odd!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Nikunj (Nik)
(@nikunj_nik)
Eminent Member

Posted by: blerghcity

@nikunj_nik thank you for the reply! Unfortunately a power cycle doesn't fix my lights. It used to be that that lights wouldn't turn on whenever the eGPU wouldn't connect with the laptop when I plugged it in. If I plug in and the gpu cooling fan doesn't spin I know this has happened. This still happens sometimes and for me can be fixed with a power cycle or simply unplugging and replugging the TB3 cord to my laptop a second time. It used to be that the LEDs not turning on (in addition to the lack of fan spin) was indicative of the connection between the eGPU and laptop not being succesfully made after plugging in. Now, the LEDs never come on at all, even when a successful connection is made. Very odd!

Did you try this with another laptop ?

ReplyQuote
blerghcity
(@blerghcity)
Eminent Member

Unfortunately I cannot, as I don't know anyone else who has a laptop with TB3 Smile But yes, that will be the next debugging step! However, since this happened the instant I plugged in a DP cable to the eGPU for the first time, and now it doesn't turn on ever anymore, even when I switched back to HDMI just to check, I'm thinking some sort of electrical surge shorted the LED cable when I plugged in the DP cable for the first time. That is my completely uneducated opinion though, as I don't have a lot of electronics experience

ReplyQuote
marakalastic
(@marakalastic)

I have the 1070 Aorus Gaming Box but 2 questions:

• how hot does your guys' chassis get? My 1070 chassis/enclosure gets super hot, almost to the point of it hurting my hand. HWMonitor says the GPU itself doesn't get above ~70C while gaming though so I'm not really concerned.
  • Is the power supply in the 1070 Gaming Box enough to power a Gigabyte Mini ITX 2070 if I were to swap?

ReplyQuote
KezzaMcDezza
(@kezzamcdezza)

@blerghcity

I've had exactly this happen with a box I got yesterday. Strip no longer works even after hard reset of everything! Thinking back it probably stopped working after I plugged it into a displayport cable for the first time too.

This post was modified 1 year ago

ReplyQuote
KezzaMcDezza
(@kezzamcdezza)

Hey All,

Just got one of these delivered. Managed to get drivers installed and the GPU connected by hotplugging during the windows boot. Using the Windows hybrid graphics (this is on a MBP 2017 15" in bootcamp using the internal display) i could run a few benchmarks just fine. Actual games on the other hand are another matter. Running blackops 4 will either crash the game or crash my whole machine just loading it up. If i try to hot plug the box after windows has started again windows just crashes. I get graphical glitches in rocket league when switching between menus etc.

Everything appeared to work just fine if i used an external display with the EGPU (I could boot and play BO4).

I'm going to try using 1809 instead of 1903 for the windows build but is this just a setup issue or do I have defective hardware?
My only other thought is to try the route of enabling the igpu and using Optimus to see if that fixes my issue but if I can get it working without having to run all those extra scripts that would be preferred.

ReplyQuote
blerghcity
(@blerghcity)
Eminent Member

@kezzamcdezza

About last week the eGPU  LED strip just randomly started working again. Have no idea why. Very confusing. Nothing else has changed and I didn't use it any differently, still using the DisplayPort cable. Weird. 

Also, I as well had issues with games crashing and the issue turned out to be the included TB3 cable that Aorus included with the machine. Once I switched it out for a nicer active cable I bought on Amazon the problem went right away. Perhaps you have a similar issue. 

ReplyQuote
KezzaMcDezza
(@kezzamcdezza)

@blerghcity

Good suggestion. I've ordered an active 2M cable that will hopefully fix all this that arrives tomorrow.
I've now tried 3-4 clean instals on 2 different windows builds using both just dgpu + egpu and igpu + dgpu and seen mostly crashes (Some BSOD, Some garbled red / blue noise). Interestingly it even crashed rEfind if plugged in during that phase of the boot which makes me think it could be the cable?
Closest I have gotten is my original attempt using the dgpu + egpu hotplugging as windows boots.

If I'm still having issues tomorrow with a new cable using the dgpu + egpu method then this is going back to Amazon!

EDIT:

New cable not making any difference. Got the GPU reliably detected but frequent game crashes even during benchmarks (some games wouldn't start properly) means im returning this now.

This post was modified 1 year ago

ReplyQuote
Brian Weigand
(@brian_weigand)

I hate everyone one this forum...this hasn't been my experience with setting up my EGPU. You guys make it sound so easy, just plug and play and i spent the  big bucks on this Aorus gaming box and i cant even get my window bootcamp (Macbook Pro 2018) to do anything but charge my laptop. Any suggestion?

2016 Macbook Pro 2.9 I7 16 GB Ram Radeon Pro 460, RTX 2070 Aorus Gaming box

ReplyQuote
 of  16