Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
[Unboxing] AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box Thunderbolt 3 eGPU

[Unboxing] AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box Thunderbolt 3 eGPU  

of  5
  RSS

(@sabeen_sahnan)

On a 13 inch MacBook Pro 2017 w/tb.  Could get a amd 570 breakaway box working in boot camp but no luck with this so far.  I keep getting a bsod when trying to get windows to install the device.  I’ll play around with it some before giving up but any pointers would help.  If I plug in under Macos the leds light up and fans spin but under windows I crash every time.

as a update for anyone else in a similar scenario, I did get it working after a decent amount of trial and error with different tb slots and a host of other things.  Just getting it installed without bsod was biggest challenge.  I do have to do that whole, plug it in at the right time during a boot up.  I had other issues along the way too but at the end of it all, loading up a efi profile and plugging in at windows logo has finally got it going.  

Going with latest nvidia drivers released today, at stock, on timespy I get a 7200 gpu score which seems in line with what I’ve read here.  My cpu obviously suffers being a 2017 i5 13inch tb MacBook Pro compared to the other specs in this thread, about 2000 for that but honestly didn’t expect any more.  If memory serves me right, the gpu score is about double what it was from the amd 570 sonnet breakaway box.  

In in real game testing, I been using the rise of tomb raider benchmark.  At 1080p high settings, dx12, triple buffering, I get a overall 55fps score.  At the native 2880x1800 resolution, about 50-51fps.   

Overall, this seems more then acceptable again, given the limitations of my cpu/etc hardware.   It’s high end gaming for the most part in a relatively portable manner.  I doubt I’ll ever be using the setup to feed an external bigger monitor or tv so hovering around the high settings on games with some minor tweaking to get to 60fps on a 13inch monitor should be again, very acceptable.  Have a beefier desktop with a 2080ti if/when I want to really push 4K on a gaming monitor or tv.  

This post was modified 9 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
blerghcity
(@blerghcity)
Eminent Member

This may be a dumb question, but is there a way to safely 'eject' the egpu before pulling out the cord, similar to ejecting usb sticks? I keep needing to power cycle this guy every time I disconnect.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

Only issue I've had thus far is the inability to install the H2D firmware (cant get the Thunderbolt Control Center to install from the Microsoft store).

Edit: actually is one other issues; when a new driver is released, GeForce Experience doesnt seem to recognize it. I'm assuming it is defaulting to "notebook" drivers instead of looking for a desktop driver when you have it check for updates?

XPS 13 (9380)/AORUS Gaming Box 2070

ReplyQuote
sunny
(@sunny)
Eminent Member

Posted by: blerghcity

This may be a dumb question, but is there a way to safely 'eject' the egpu before pulling out the cord, similar to ejecting usb sticks? I keep needing to power cycle this guy every time I disconnect.

There is a nvidia icon that I get that has the option to disconnect egpu so that you can continue using the computer without it.

Mac Mini 2018 / Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070

ReplyQuote
sunny
(@sunny)
Eminent Member

Posted by: madweazl

Only issue I've had thus far is the inability to install the H2D firmware (cant get the Thunderbolt Control Center to install from the Microsoft store).

Which computer and thunderbolt controller do you have?

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

XPS 13 (9830). No clue on the Thunderbolt controller, it doesn't show up when I search for it (presumably because I cant install the control center).

ReplyQuote
sunny
(@sunny)
Eminent Member

Posted by: madweazl

XPS 13 (9830). No clue on the Thunderbolt controller, it doesn't show up when I search for it (presumably because I cant install the control center).

Found this, might help...

https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/ar17yn/cannot_downloadinstall_thunderbolt_control_center/

madweazl liked
ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

That did the trick, thanks!

Capture

ReplyQuote
enf0
 enf0
(@enf0)

@madweazl I see you're using an XPS 13 9380 with the 2070 Gaming Box. I'm about to sell my gaming desktop/work laptop to buy this exact combination. Have you had much time to use your laptop with the gaming box yet? I'm wondering how your experience have been so far.

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

It's a pretty good setup but certainly not desktop gaming equivalent. I'm playing Anthem at the moment and it will stay in the 40fps range for the most part with settings on high (some dips into the 30s). By comparison, my desktop (R7 1700/1070) rarely dips below 60fps on ultra settings. 

I travel a lot for work so I wanted something small enough to watch movies on in the plane and then still be able to game when I got to the hotel. For me, it is perfect but I'd never use it as a replacement for my desktop.

enf0 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
enf0
 enf0
(@enf0)

@madweazl That's quite a difference in performance! It seem to me that the RTX 2070 performs about 30% better than an GTX 1070. I would think the performance loss you get from having the 2070 in an eGPU would put it back around 1070 levels of performance. But 30-40 FPS on High vs 60 FPS on Ultra seems like a big difference! I assume both of these scenarios is at the same resolution?

What CPU do you have in your XPS 13?

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

Yes, both at 1080. I have the I7 (8565u) with 16gb ram. In real world gaming, the eGPU just cant compete. Exacerbating the issue is the CPU throttling in games that are CPU hungry. Oh, those are lows in the 60s for the 1070, average is way higher LOL. In Time Spy, the two are very close but real world gaming is quite different because of the CPU. 

Not sure if these comparison results will show up or not.

enf0 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
enf0
 enf0
(@enf0)

Thanks for the reply. I have a lot to consider. I really love the idea of having a single computer that I can use at work/while traveling, while being able to plug it into an eGPU at home and be able to play some games in the afternoon.

I usually don't play the most demanding games, mostly Apex Legends/Dota 2/Rocket League these days. I was thinking of buying an 1440p G-Sync monitor to go with the new laptop and eGPU, but maybe gaming at 1440p is a bit optimistic with this setup?

Also, another question: Can you plug the eGPU in and out of the laptop as you please, or do you have to "eject safely" as implied in the posts above?

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

I'm able to connect and disconnect via the cable without issue.

enf0 liked
ReplyQuote
blerghcity
(@blerghcity)
Eminent Member

Based on my experiences and what I've read, it seems to depend. My box would need a hard power cycle every time I pulled out the TB3 cable 'hot', but once I started hitting 'disconnect gpu' on the nvidia gpu activity bar before I pulled, it turns back on fine every time. Just need to remember to also hit 'reconnect gpu' after I plug back in. Not sure why I need this and others don't, might just be a hardware issue.

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

Hmm, I dont have that issue at all. Sleeps and wakes fine, restarts are fine, all seems to work normal.

ReplyQuote
enf0
 enf0
(@enf0)

@madweazl Another question, if you don't mind: Is it true that the case/PSU fans keep running if you put your laptop to sleep/shut down, but keep the Thunderbolt cable connected? How do you find the noise from the box overall, while idle and while gaming?

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

If you put the computer to sleep, the fan will continue to spin but if you shut down, the eGPU will also shut down. It can make a bit of noise under light loads (some intermittent coil whine) but it disappears with any volume on the laptop; I cant imagine anyone being able to pick up on the noise from the eGPU if they had any volume on the computer (or headphones/headset).

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Trusted Member

I'm looking at this unit vs a Sonnet Breakaway 650 + Asus Strix 2070. What I'm looking for is the quietest possible experience under full gaming load. I do realize the setup I was considering is much more expensive (to the tune of $300), but I'm willing to spend it to keep the eGPU as quiet as possible while gaming. Is the Aorus Gaming Box 2070 loud when gaming? I sit with other people nearby so any type of fan noise can annoy those sitting a few feet away.

LG Gram 17 | Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 | Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC Edition | Win 10 Pro 1903 + Fedora 31 Dual Boot
Build Link

ReplyQuote
Oğuzhan Yıldız
(@oguzhan_yildiz)

Should I buy it this egpu or wait. I have a MBP 15 2018, Please advice me

ReplyQuote
enf0
 enf0
(@enf0)

@odin From what I have gathered so far, the Aorus Gaming Box can get quite noisy under load. If you feel like doing some DIY, it's possible to replace the fans with quieter ones, see this thread.

I think the Asus XG Station Pro might be a less noisy solution. I have yet to decide on an eGPU, myself.

odin liked
ReplyQuote
sunny
(@sunny)
Eminent Member

Posted by: enf0

@odin From what I have gathered so far, the Aorus Gaming Box can get quite noisy under load. If you feel like doing some DIY, it's possible to replace the fans with quieter ones, see this thread.

I think the Asus XG Station Pro might be a less noisy solution. I have yet to decide on an eGPU, myself.

I don’t mind the noise while gaming. The idle noise is what bugs me. The ASUS is silent with no fan noise when idle and paired with silent gfx card but it’s also a lot bigger. I am personally trying to replace fans to make it quieter.

odin liked
ReplyQuote
blerghcity
(@blerghcity)
Eminent Member

Stock and OC benchmarks for me on this rig, with a 2018 Huawei Matebook X Pro and a 1080p monitor: https://imgur.com/a/N0FNS5F
+165 MHz GPU OC, +500 MHz memory clock
Timespy Stock: 7430
Timespy OC: 8119
Firestrike Stock: 16864
Firestrike OC: 18063
I'm satisfied with these graphics numbers, and I can probably bump them up a little more with some more OC fine tuning; based on others numbers I don't think the 2 lane PCI express port is causing much of a bottleneck, perhaps. But the CPU numbers seem low to me (mid 2000s on Timespy, see link above). Has anyone else benchmarked on an 8550U processor? I'm worried I may be getting CPU bottlenecking but I don't know enough yet to be sure. My CPU scores actually went down in the OC benchmarks, but I think I may have had undervolting on for those on accident, not sure if that couldve affected it.

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

Replaced the thermal compound on the XPS 13 with some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and added a 120x20x.5mm thermal pad to the heatsink to make better contact with the bottom of the case. It looks like this made a pretty big difference for perform; the laptop typically downclocks to about 2500mhz but only droppped to 3500mhz after the changes. Shadows of the Tomb Raider benchmark jumped up to 73fps on the internal display with exclusive full screen enabled (think that was about a 10fps jump from previous results if I remember right. Oh, this was at +175/1125 (games fine at these settings but will benchmark at +180-190/1240 depending on the application) which works out to max clocks of about 2055/8125 (gpu/mem). 

tomb

ReplyQuote
enf0
 enf0
(@enf0)

@madweazl Very interesting! I orderer the XPS 13 9380 and it should arrive any day now, I will do some tests and benchmarks of my own and see how the CPU performs, I might do the same as you and add some thermal pads to the CPU. Good idea!

By the way, I ended up ordering a Razer Core X and a Vega 64 GPU.

ReplyQuote
realbronz
(@realbronz)

Hey peeps, thanks for the useful information

Just wanted to post my Timespy score for my combination: XPS 9575 (i7-8705G) + Aorus RTX 2070 Gaming Box (stock & optimized H2D Thunderbolt Firmware)+ ACER ED7 34 inch ultrawide (3440p)

6719 : 7518 gpu : 4195 cpu 
Final Fantasy XV is running around 60fps at average settings, 45 fps at high settings
Please let me know if you think these scores should be higher, as the Yoga 720 (i7-7700HQ) is currently beating these benchmarks :/

This post was modified 8 months ago

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

I think the Noctua NT-H1 may have worked a little better than the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, not sure yet. I have some Liquid Metal Ultra that I may try next.

ReplyQuote
(@richelieu_niu)

I run time spy and fire strike with XPS 9570 i7-8750h and internal 4k display. Both scores are disappointing.  

Fire strike:  overall score 10634    
Time spy: overall score 5543

Can anyone help me to figure out what's going on with my laptop?

XPS 9570

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Most likely the PCH chipset in your XPS 9570 is thermal-throttled during eGPU use. Take a look at my XPS 9570 + GTX 1080 Ti build for a temporary fix.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
jerry Kansai
(@joi_kansai)
Estimable Member

Posted by: richelieu niu

I run time spy and fire strike with XPS 9570 i7-8750h and internal 4k display. Both scores are disappointing.  

Fire strike:  overall score 10634    
Time spy: overall score 5543

Can anyone help me to figure out what's going on with my laptop?

Try External monitor, even if it’s PCIe3x4 lanes if 2070 that’s being used hasn’t great boost frequency, it’ll Low the graphics score than mine plus mostly I think uploaded scores here are overclocking score with best FPS output as it can, using external display. Plus what @itsage mentioned pch high temperature, check gpu boost clock frequency using afterburner and pch temperature with HWinfo64.

Razer Blade 15 2018, i7 8750H 16gb ddr4 2666mhz 1tb 970Evo
Razer Blade Stealth 12,5 2016 i7 7500U 8gb ddr3 1866mhz 500gb 970Evo
MacBook Pro 13 mid 2012 i5 3210M 12gb ddr3 1600mhz 500GB HDD
Razer Core V2 rtx 2070 Black 2040mhz Boost clock
Previous setting: rtx 2080ti Asus Turbo, rtx 2080 xc gaming, rtx 2080 Fe, Zotac Mini 1080ti, Evga 1080 FTW2 gaming.
Dual Monitor Predator XB241YU 165Hz 1440p, LG l24UD58 60Hz 4K
Portable Monitor Magedok 1440p HDR 60Hz usbA/C monitor

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

Default clocks with the system up and running for a while so no trickery happening. Something definitely not quite right for the CPU and cooling available for it compared to my system. Oh, internal monitor as well. 

Time Spy - 6430

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

Looking at the comparison results, the CPU performance is there. Something is happening between host and device it looks like; the graphics scores are really low.

ReplyQuote
(@richelieu_niu)

@Joikansai Thank you. I will try external monitor later. Hope it will take 10% improvement base on my original score.

@itsage So a 3mm thermal pad could significantly improve my eGPU performance? That's a good news!  

This post was modified 8 months ago

XPS 9570

ReplyQuote
(@nikunj_nik)
Eminent Member

@itsage  - I recently bought this box and have been using with my Yoga 720. The performance for  me is around 1070 Max Q levels . I was thinking of using this with my Yoga 720 for now and then maybe 1.5 to 2 Yrs down the line extract the card from the Box and build a Mini ITX PC. This way I will be able to get the most out of my GPU and should hopefully last me for the next 5 years. Do you think this gpu will perform well in a Mini ITX environment ? Also will the single fan be good enough to keep the card cool ? I am an occasional gamer but when I do get the  time I end up gaming 3 to 4 Hrs at a stretch. Please advise.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@nikunj_nik Are you using the eGPU with an external monitor? I recall the Yoga 720 has a 2-lane PCIe Thunderbolt 3 connection. If you use it through internal display mode, the eGPU performance will take a large hit.

Regarding the Gigabyte graphics card itself, it’s very quiet with the large 130mm fan. I actually fitted the RX 580 from the Gaming Box (same cooler design) in different enclosures. There are clearance issues with some mainboards. If you plan on doing a mini-ITX build, using a PCIe extension adapter/cable to mount this GPU is best. 

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@nikunj_nik)
Eminent Member

Thanks for replying. Yes I have an external monitor hooked to my Yoga otherwise the performance is abysmal to say the least. I might even go for a mini ATX build instead of ITX, if space could be a problem, but do you think the 2070 will perform like any other 2070 card outside the enclosure as well ? Do you know of any users who have done this before maybe with the older GTX 1080 ?

ReplyQuote
 of  5