Notifications
Clear all

[Unboxing] AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box Thunderbolt 3 eGPU  

of  16
  RSS

ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Trusted Member

@blerghcity, I think I have heard of your case before over on the r/egpu subreddit. I am guessing that you have a Razer laptop that uses the MX150? The bottom-line is that due to Razer's use of a proprietary driver for their MX150 implementation, you cannot install Nvidia's drivers and use both the MX150 and eGPU at the same time. In order to use the eGPU RTX 2070, you will have to uninstall the MX150 using DDU, disable auto-detect, restart, and then install the normal Nvidia drivers. Once this is done, you will be able to use any Nvidia eGPU without problem.

If you are reddit user, I can refer you to /u/aramisathei who ran into the same problem with his Razer Blade 2019 ultrabook. As of now, this is the only way to make use of your eGPU. If you aren't using a Razer product, this may be a problem that pertains to the MX150 in general. 

My only other tip to you would be to not waste time with Razer's tech support. They are polite but seem to operate under the M.O. of running you around in circles until you just give up and stop asking them. You will likely get the answers you need from this forum or reddit. Good luck and do let us know if you figure out a work-around!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
blerghcity
(@blerghcity)
Eminent Member

@ishikawa_goemon thank you for the info! Unfortunately I do not have a razer but a Matebook X Pro. So, I'm not sure how much of my problems are due to the Gaming Box itself, my noobness, or the 2 PCI lanes in the TB3 port of my laptop. I found the MX150 in my device manager and disabled it, but I'm still getting occasional problems. I've been just using excel and word all day with the external and internal on- sometimes my external 1080p monitor will freeze, or I'll lose connection to the mouse or keyboard plugged into the gaming box usb ports, and I'll have to unplug and replug to get it going again. I tried playing Overwatch once yesterday, on the external display with the internal turned off and it crashed the computer; the gaming box wouldn't work until after a full power cycle. Not sure the problem yet...I'm wondering if I need an upgraded PSU in the gaming box- some threads have mentioned doing that with more power intensive cards in their gaming boxes and it fixing the problem. 

I will, however, check the reddit you mentioned and look into DDU to disable the MX150. I'm just not sure I've got it narrowed down to the MX150 being the problem yet, though  😐

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Trusted Member

@blerghcity, read through your posts and I hope you were able to find some useful information on Reddit. I think everyone on this forum has had the shared experience of feeling frustrated at having a new toy that, as Jenson would say doesn't "just work".

Concerning your USB issues, I saw that there was a firmware upgrade for the Gaming Box dated to early January of this year. One of the firmware updates talk about balancing USB so have you tried doing that update? Might help with the peripheral issues.

Finally, some "shot in the dark" observations. The symptoms you mentioned reminded me of when I had peripherals on a USB hub which weren't getting sufficient power. Sometimes when power protection is tripped, peripherals just power off until power cycled. There is a post here of another user upgrading a small form factor PSU (drop-in) which upped the power limit to 500 or 550 watt [believe it was vega56 nano or something like that]. Maybe this higher over-head would help you out? Are you using the gaming box for power delivery too? Alternatively, the 2-lanes of TB2 are getting jammed up since you have signal throughput as well as the signals from the devices competing for limited resources.

ReplyQuote
sunny
(@sunny)
Eminent Member

Posted by: sunny

I also have this on order to try out with i5 Mac Mini 2018, will share my results once I get it...

So I finally got it and plugged it all in. Surprisingly was plug and play with no issues, it even kept the internal intel gpu active showing multiple screen setup initially, but I only have 1 monitor so made egpu one primary.

Only issue is that fans are a bit loud so hoping its same fans as the previous box and look to replace them...

Mac Mini 2018 / Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070

ReplyQuote
blerghcity
(@blerghcity)
Eminent Member

I will definitely check the firmware when I get back home, @ishikawa_goemon , thanks for the tip. And yes, upgrading the PSU is definitely on my mind. I read that post too. I'm just not thrilled that a brand new $650 piece of hardware could immediately need a $100 power upgrade. 

The 2-lane TB3 could be the issue too, but i've read that simple peripherals like a mouse and keyboard shouldn't take that much bandwidth. And if so, I thought the symptom of such a thing would be the GPU not performing as well, not the usb devices completely shutting down. Who knows though, I still have a lot to learn!

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Trusted Member

Follow-up for the Aorus Gaming Box. These are the 3DMark Timespy and Firestrike scores. For reference, I am on an i9 XPS 9570. I used an OC Scanner derived overclock of +184MHz and +980 MHz on the memory. All of these tests were performed while connected to an external monitor via display port. The benchmarks did not allow me to select resolution but they looked like 1080p to 1440p. 

I noted that the highest temperature reached by the eGPU was 66 degrees Celsius during both tests. The frequency for the core ranged from 1950-1995MHz.

Annotation 2019 02 22 175735
Annotation 2019 02 22 174926
Annotation 2019 02 22 173437
This post was modified 1 year ago

ReplyQuote
Valkeriefire
(@valkeriefire)

Hey ishikawa, can you post a stock run with no overclock? of 3dMark FireStrike 1080 and TimeSpy (standard defaults to 2560x1440)
I'm trying to compare to mine and see if mine is working correctly.

Dell XPS 9560, 7700hq, 2 Lane TB3: XPS 9570 8750H, 4 Lane TB3 enroute & Aorus 2070 eGPU enroute

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Trusted Member

@valkeriefire, as requested on the Gaming Box RTX 2070 with no O/C and at stock settings. Thanks for the info on default resolutions for the benchmarks.
For Firestrike, I noted that temps settled in around 61 degrees celsius and the frequency went from 1830-1845MHz
For Timespy, I noted temps ranging from 65-68 degrees with frequency going from 1800-1830 MHz.

Annotation 2019 02 22 211552
Annotation 2019 02 22 210738

ReplyQuote
Valkeriefire
(@valkeriefire)

Thank you for posting that.  My best GPU score on tinespy was 6850ish. So just for reference this clearly shows the superior performance of higher resolutions for egpu.  Your fire strike 1080 score is roughly GTX 1060 levels.  But your timespy score is just a hair under GTX 1080 levels.  Your cpu scores are awesome.  The i9 mops my i7-8750. I assumed the i9 would be thermally bound and thus not much better than the i7, but the benchmarks show otherwise.

This post was modified 1 year ago

Dell XPS 9560, 7700hq, 2 Lane TB3: XPS 9570 8750H, 4 Lane TB3 enroute & Aorus 2070 eGPU enroute

ReplyQuote
sunny
(@sunny)
Eminent Member

Interestingly, I got a better GPU score with my Mac Mini for this card but worse CPU score...

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6319845

Mac Mini 2018 / Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070

ReplyQuote
 of  16