Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
[Unboxing] AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box Thunderbolt 3 eGPU

[Unboxing] AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box Thunderbolt 3 eGPU  

of  5
  RSS

madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

Isn't it just this card without the shroud?

XPS 13 (9380)/AORUS Gaming Box 2070

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@madweazl The heatsink and cooling fan are different than the regular card. Here’s a photo I have with 90mm fan + shroud vs 130mm fan + no shroud. They were from GTX 1070 and 1080 Gaming Boxes.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

madweazl liked
ReplyQuote
precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

Even if the performance is only slightly better than Aorus Gaming Box GTX 1080, I'm tempted to buy this, due to the RTX features like raytracing and DLSS. Let's wait for @itsage full review!

Razer Core X + AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT - Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2019 Radeon 560X

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

Posted by: precision01

Even if the performance is only slightly better than Aorus Gaming Box GTX 1080, I'm tempted to buy this, due to the RTX features like raytracing and DLSS. Let's wait for @itsage full review!

What exactly are you interested in? Happy to run whatever you like.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
jerry Kansai
(@joi_kansai)
Estimable Member

Posted by: madweazl
Posted by: precision01

What exactly are you interested in? Happy to run whatever you like.

Can you try dlss on shadow of the tomb Raider if you have the game, it’s great FPS bumper. I got almost 10fps improvement on 2080 4K preset highest setting TAA vs DLSS, I wonder 2070 would be the same, no need on 4K on 1440p is fine I think.

BE38412C 1A04 4B50 8E75 E5C3D5F19022
216EA8DD 9E60 4A41 B2AF 017004E43B7B

Razer Blade 15 2018, i7 8750H 16gb ddr4 2666mhz 1tb 970Evo
Razer Blade Stealth 12,5 2016 i7 7500U 8gb ddr3 1866mhz 500gb 970Evo
MacBook Pro 13 mid 2012 i5 3210M 12gb ddr3 1600mhz 500GB HDD
Razer Core V2 rtx 2070 Black 2040mhz Boost clock
Previous setting: rtx 2080ti Asus Turbo, rtx 2080 xc gaming, rtx 2080 Fe, Zotac Mini 1080ti, Evga 1080 FTW2 gaming.
Dual Monitor Predator XB241YU 165Hz 1440p, LG l24UD58 60Hz 4K
Portable Monitor Magedok 1440p HDR 60Hz usbA/C monitor

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

Internal monitor at 4k and I have a lot less breathing room for the CPU.

ReplyQuote
jerry Kansai
(@joi_kansai)
Estimable Member

Update your game, there’s dlss and Ray Tracing Update. Ray Tracing is useless but dlss is great, I think you can bump it to 4K 40fps if it’s playable to you, otherwise 1440p isn’t bad at all you’ll get smoother game play, AI on Turing tensor core will render on lower resolution and output on higher resolution. I don’t have 2070 anymore so I’m curious about that on this card.

This post was modified 8 months ago

Previous setting: rtx 2080ti Asus Turbo, rtx 2080 xc gaming, rtx 2080 Fe, Zotac Mini 1080ti, Evga 1080 FTW2 gaming.

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

Is there a visual improvement or largely just frame rates? I don't have a 4k external monitor and the lil 13" screen is far too small for me to play on at that resolution so I just play on a 1080 monitor.

ReplyQuote
jerry Kansai
(@joi_kansai)
Estimable Member

Is there a visual improvement or largely just frame rates? I don't have a 4k external monitor and the lil 13" screen is far too small for me to play on at that resolution so I just play on a 1080 monitor.

SoTR has better visual when you play on higher resolution unlike Metro Exodus before patch there’s no blurred images with dlss. I never play open world like SoTR, AC Oddysey, FFXV on external monitor @1080p only for benchmarking, they’ve great visual effects on higher resolution, and egpu great on this. With 2070 I played also SoTR @1440p, sometimes 5120x1440p surrounds dual monitor for extra view.

ReplyQuote
(@richelieu_niu)

itsage I put a 3 mm thermal pad on the PCH. The average temperature down from 85 to 75.  And the time spy test only got 6078. This improvement is far less I except. Should I replace 2 mm thermal pad?

XPS 9570

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@richelieu_niu)

@Valkeriefire, I use the same laptop but only got 6070 on time spy. How do you set up your laptop?

XPS 9570

ReplyQuote
(@chris_chrispy)

Posted by: richelieu niu

@Valkeriefire, I use the same laptop but only got 6070 on time spy. How do you set up your laptop?

Do you have the H2D Firmware installed to your Box? Im Using an Ultrabook and my Thunderbolt signal pass though a HP G2 Dock. I got 22xx H2D and my RTX 2070 perform really well. Even when Windows tells me everytime that my eGpu needs to be directly connected to my computers TB Port and not going through a dock, it works like a charm!
Dont look to my CPU Score because its just an I7 8565U, but the Graphic score is pretty good from what i think: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/34675969?

But because of the CPU Score and the nearly none existing Multitasking opportunitys with that Ultrabook, i might switch to a DELL XPS soon with Hexacore. Dont understand me wrong. I really like the look of the new Specre X360 with that Gemcut Design. But i do a lot of things in the background while gaming etc. and its not feeling very smooth because of that.
But i will definately keep the Gaming Box. Even when its a little louder or when i always have to unplug/replug to get it working. The size of it fits my needs perfectly.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Chris “Chrispy”

Do you have the H2D Firmware installed to your Box? Im Using an Ultrabook and my Thunderbolt signal pass though a HP G2 Dock. I got 22xx H2D and my RTX 2070 perform really well. Even when Windows tells me everytime that my eGpu needs to be directly connected to my computers TB Port and not going through a dock, it works like a charm!
Dont look to my CPU Score because its just an I7 8565U, but the Graphic score is pretty good from what i think: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/34675969?

But because of the CPU Score and the nearly none existing Multitasking opportunitys with that Ultrabook, i might switch to a DELL XPS soon with Hexacore. Dont understand me wrong. I really like the look of the new Specre X360 with that Gemcut Design. But i do a lot of things in the background while gaming etc. and its not feeling very smooth because of that.
But i will definately keep the Gaming Box. Even when its a little louder or when i always have to unplug/replug to get it working. The size of it fits my needs perfectly.

I have the same CPU in an XPS 13 and get 41xx for a CPU score in Time Spy so I imagine it's a thermal throttling issue. I'm not familiar with the laptops cooling. 

Stock vs Overclocked with external monitor
Stock vs Overclocked with internal monitor

ReplyQuote
(@chris_chrispy)

Posted by: Chris “Chrispy”

I have the same CPU in an XPS 13 and get 41xx for a CPU score in Time Spy so I imagine it's a thermal throttling issue. I'm not familiar with the laptops cooling. 

Stock vs Overclocked with external monitor
Stock vs Overclocked with internal monitor

Yes could be true. But i allready switched to the DELL XPS and i have no thermal issues anymore despite the fact that multitasking works perfectly now. even with 2 monitors i can watch a 4k video, play division 2 and do some browsing without any kind of laggy feeling. i do like that a lot more. i also do some renderstuff and the 6 core is pretty awsome for this. i might repaste it to get a higher clock rate and a little quieter fans. but so far it works for me

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

Cool; did you get the XPS 15?

ReplyQuote
(@chris_chrispy)

Cool; did you get the XPS 15?

Yes the 15. These are the starting Results of my first Timespy.
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/34737285?
But CPU is a  little throttling. Tomorrow i will repaste and reduce the Voltage Core.
But i have to say, the RTX2070 performed a little bit better with my Spectre Ultrabook and the 8565U. I dont know why. But the Score is like 4xx higher. I read something about an included Thunderbolt Chip in the U-Processors? Is that true? So cooling kicks in with Ultrabook while on the normal Notebooks its a sepperate Chip with no coolingpad whatsoever. I cant find the Thread anymore, but its in this forum somewhere. I will look for that chip and put a thermalpad on it soon.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

itsage I put a 3 mm thermal pad on the PCH. The average temperature down from 85 to 75.  And the time spy test only got 6078. This improvement is far less I except. Should I replace 2 mm thermal pad?

The PCH temp reduction is good. Like @chris_chrispy said you may want to flash the firmware with the full H2D speed version so that you can get the most performance out of this RTX 2070 Gaming Box.

@chris_chrispy U-CPU laptops have the PCH chip integrated so they share the same cooling system. H-CPU laptops have the PCH chip in a separate location and often times without any cooling. When you have Thunderbolt 3 eGPU and NVMe SSD traffic flooding through this chipset it overheats then throttles the connection to CPU. Here’s my XPS 9570 build with some examples and a temporary fix.

blawlog liked
ReplyQuote
(@chris_chrispy)

Posted by: itsage

The PCH temp reduction is good. Like @chris_chrispy said you may want to flash the firmware with the full H2D speed version so that you can get the most performance out of this RTX 2070 Gaming Box.

@chris_chrispy U-CPU laptops have the PCH chip integrated so they share the same cooling system. H-CPU laptops have the PCH chip in a separate location and often times without any cooling. When you have Thunderbolt 3 eGPU and NVMe SSD traffic flooding through this chipset it overheats then throttles the connection to CPU. Here's my XPS 9570 build with some examples and a temporary fix.

Right! Exactly what i was looking for! Thank you very much! I will try to tweak it in a way you did it with that thermal pad!

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@richelieu_niu)

@chris_chrispy My final result is 6229 overall score with 6280 graphics and 5956 CPU score. How do you get 7000 + in xps 15? I use internal display but it is unreasonable that could cause such huge different internal and external display. 

Plus: I tired both h2d and ver10 firmware but the differences is small at internal display.

Update: My time spy score back to 5601 with unknown reason. I don't know what's wrong with my laptop.

XPS 9570

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

Are you sure it's running of the eGPU? The results show the 1050 dGPU.

ReplyQuote
(@nikunj_nik)
Eminent Member

@chris_chrispy My final result is 6229 overall score with 6280 graphics and 5956 CPU score. How do you get 7000 + in xps 15? I use internal display but it is unreasonable that could cause such huge different internal and external display. 

Plus: I tired both h2d and ver10 firmware but the differences is small at internal display.

Update: My time spy score back to 5601 with unknown reason. I don't know what's wrong with my laptop.

I know this was directed to someone else but this might help. My latest scores in Timespy has been 7800+ in timespy and 17500+ in Firestrike. Here is what helped me to get those scores :-
1)+196 / +756 overclock in Core and Memory
2)Repasting Laptop with Thermal Compound.
3)Laptop Cooler - Modded my U3 Cooling pad and put two 120 MM AC Infinity Fans underneath. Temps dropped by 7 to 8 degrees.
4) Extra 120 MM fan next to AGB sucking the hot air out.
5)Using an External Monitor since my TB3 is limited to two PCIE lanes. Recently moved to a 1080p IPS Ultrawide and the experience is just amazing especially with HDR .

With my current setup the GPU stays under 70 even and my laptop does not go over 74 degrees.

@itsage - Can you please send me a few decent links of good Tower cabinets which will be able to accomodate the 2070 Graphics Card since you already did this with the RX 580's? I prefer a Mini ITX but I can go for something bigger in case that 130MM GPU fan would need more clearance space.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@nikunj_nik I used a Thermaltake PCI riser in order to provide enough clearance for the 130mm cooling fan. I don’t have a photo of the Gigabyte RTX 2070 with the riser cable but you can see in the picture below there’s a lot more space under the GPU.

ReplyQuote
sunny
(@sunny)
Eminent Member

New firmware out for the RWT2070, F1.3, makes the fans at idle almost silent. This is awesome, I was going to do fan mod mostly due to the idle noise, but now that the firmware update fixes it, no need. Although now I have spare fans...

Btw, it does not affect H2D or default fimware that you have, it takes only a few seconds and only updates the PSU it seems. Doesn't even require a reboot!

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N2070IXEB-8GC#support-dl-firmware

Mac Mini 2018 / Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070

ReplyQuote
pinegala
(@pinegala)

Has anyone tried the 2070 Gaming Box with a Carbon x1? If I'm booting both the card and the laptop from off, the card is recognized, but if I disconnect the card while the computer is on or try to connect it to the laptop, it won't recognize. The RTX simply does not show up in my device manager. I've tried every version of Thunderbolt 3 driver, all the different Aorus drivers provided, and all the different power configurations for Thunderbolt 3 in boot settings.

Carbon X1 6th Generation
Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

Posted by: sunny

New firmware out for the RWT2070, F1.3, makes the fans at idle almost silent. This is awesome, I was going to do fan mod mostly due to the idle noise, but now that the firmware update fixes it, no need. Although now I have spare fans...

Btw, it does not affect H2D or default fimware that you have, it takes only a few seconds and only updates the PSU it seems. Doesn't even require a reboot!

Wow, HUGE difference!

ReplyQuote
(@nikunj_nik)
Eminent Member

Posted by: itsage

@nikunj_nik I used a Thermaltake PCI riser in order to provide enough clearance for the 130mm cooling fan. I don't have a photo of the Gigabyte RTX 2070 with the riser cable but you can see in the picture below there's a lot more space under the GPU.

Thanks a lot. I understand now what you mean. Also I really like your setup. Which brand is the white tower as shown in your pic ?

Posted by: sunny

Thanks for the headsup and the fans are supersilent now ! Amazing ...

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@nikunj_nik The ATX case is NZXT H500i Matte White. It has very nice cable management features. All the messes are in the bottom compartment where the PSU resides. Other cables are routed through the back as well.

ReplyQuote
Knot3D
(@knot3d)

Hi I'm new here - I've been using this egpu for almost a month now and I really like it. There were some initial TB3 connectivity issues but I solved that by plugging in the egpu into the poweroutlet last. 

Video:

HP Spectre X360 13inch Diamand Cut 2019 i7 - 8565U with 8Gb RAM + Aorus Gaming Box RTX2070

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@nikunj_nik)
Eminent Member

I have been noticing something really funny. It seems for some reason whenever I update my Geforce Experience software the GameStream option appears and then disappears after a restart. Has anybody else facing this ? Is there a way to get Gamestream working with this box ?

ReplyQuote
(@randy_barlow)

Hey anyone remove this card from the enclosure and run it on a desktop? Moving away from the EGPU game for a few years until improvements with thunderbolt standard and USB/VIDEO simultaneously.

ReplyQuote
(@bellerophon_chimera)

Posted by: Joikansai

Update your game, there’s dlss and Ray Tracing Update. Ray Tracing is useless but dlss is great, I think you can bump it to 4K 40fps if it’s playable to you, otherwise 1440p isn’t bad at all you’ll get smoother game play, AI on Turing tensor core will render on lower resolution and output on higher resolution. I don’t have 2070 anymore so I’m curious about that on this card.

How did you managed to activate dlss?
i‘m using a Razer Core V1 and a RTX2070 - but in Nvidia Settings Controlpanel the DLSS option is missing...
Did aleady installed latest driver and choose in installation routine the option „new installation of all drivers“...

ReplyQuote
blerghcity
(@blerghcity)
Eminent Member

Has anyone else had issues with the RGB LED strip on their Gaming Box just stop working? similar to this: https://imgur.com/a/NkpyMui

It started when I upgraded monitors and switched from an HDMI cable going from the eGPU to my old monitor, to a DisplayPort cable going from the eGPU to my new monitor the first time. The LEDs turned on then went off permanently. The eGPU still works just fine; it is still picked up and recognized by NVIDIA settings, Afterburner, etc. The only other difference is now Windows always gives me the 'usb device malfunctioned not recognized' alert, even though it works just fine. I tried calling Aorus support and they told me to uninstall and reinstall the RGB fusion software, which seemed absurd since this was almost definitely a hardware issue not a software one. It obviously didn't work and I don't even want to bother calling them back since they'll probably just tell me something else dumb. Just wondering if this is an issue others have faced yet? Doesn't affect performance seemingly in any way, but I'm worried it may be a symptom of a larger hardware problem that hasn't reared it's head yet.

ReplyQuote
(@nikunj_nik)
Eminent Member

Here are the similar problems I have been facing :-

1) Sometimes led does not turn on. I simply do a complete power recycle of both Gpu and my Yoga ( EGPU unplugged) and it starts workign again. 
2)I was getting the same 'Usb device malfunction' error. I have simply ignored it as it really did not seem to affect anything much.

Note: I dont have the RGB Software installed as I really dont change my LED light settings and let it run as it came out of the box.

ReplyQuote
blerghcity
(@blerghcity)
Eminent Member

@nikunj_nik thank you for the reply! Unfortunately a power cycle doesn't fix my lights. It used to be that that lights wouldn't turn on whenever the eGPU wouldn't connect with the laptop when I plugged it in. If I plug in and the gpu cooling fan doesn't spin I know this has happened. This still happens sometimes and for me can be fixed with a power cycle or simply unplugging and replugging the TB3 cord to my laptop a second time. It used to be that the LEDs not turning on (in addition to the lack of fan spin) was indicative of the connection between the eGPU and laptop not being succesfully made after plugging in. Now, the LEDs never come on at all, even when a successful connection is made. Very odd!

ReplyQuote
(@nikunj_nik)
Eminent Member

Posted by: blerghcity

@nikunj_nik thank you for the reply! Unfortunately a power cycle doesn't fix my lights. It used to be that that lights wouldn't turn on whenever the eGPU wouldn't connect with the laptop when I plugged it in. If I plug in and the gpu cooling fan doesn't spin I know this has happened. This still happens sometimes and for me can be fixed with a power cycle or simply unplugging and replugging the TB3 cord to my laptop a second time. It used to be that the LEDs not turning on (in addition to the lack of fan spin) was indicative of the connection between the eGPU and laptop not being succesfully made after plugging in. Now, the LEDs never come on at all, even when a successful connection is made. Very odd!

Did you try this with another laptop ?

ReplyQuote
blerghcity
(@blerghcity)
Eminent Member

Unfortunately I cannot, as I don't know anyone else who has a laptop with TB3 🙂 But yes, that will be the next debugging step! However, since this happened the instant I plugged in a DP cable to the eGPU for the first time, and now it doesn't turn on ever anymore, even when I switched back to HDMI just to check, I'm thinking some sort of electrical surge shorted the LED cable when I plugged in the DP cable for the first time. That is my completely uneducated opinion though, as I don't have a lot of electronics experience

ReplyQuote
 of  5