[Unboxing] AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box Thu...

[Unboxing] AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box Thunderbolt 3 eGPU  

Page 4 / 18
  RSS

ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Eminent Member
Feb 20, 2019 8:13 pm  

Hello all, I received my Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070 version (from group buy) today and have the following numbers to share. I am running an XPS 9570 with an i9 processor and using an external 4K Monitor.

Installing it was not difficult. The only points of interest was that I had to disable my dGPU (GTX 1050ti) and unplug and re-plug the Gaming Box's TB3 cable for the unit to detect.

I ran a Superposition 4K Optimized benchmark and attached the screenshot. I was unable to get a screenshot for the Valley Benchmark however numbers are as follows for a 1440P run on High Settings.

AVG FPS: 108.3
Score: 4532
Min FPS: 35.7
Max FPS: 133.1

Using MSI's afterburner, I did an O/C scan and received a +153 mhz avg O/C. I used this offset and a +980 mem O/C for the runs above. Please let me know if you have any more specific questions on the unit itself or the customer experience of the group buy.

Superposition 4k

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

madweazl liked
ReplyQuote
blerghcity
(@blerghcity)
Eminent Member
Feb 20, 2019 9:21 pm  

"The only points of interest was that I had to disable my dGPU (GTX 1050ti)"

How does one go about disabling their dGPU (I have an mx150)? I think this may be part of my problem with my 2070 gaming box

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Eminent Member
Feb 20, 2019 11:14 pm  

@blerghcity, I think I have heard of your case before over on the r/egpu subreddit. I am guessing that you have a Razer laptop that uses the MX150? The bottom-line is that due to Razer's use of a proprietary driver for their MX150 implementation, you cannot install Nvidia's drivers and use both the MX150 and eGPU at the same time. In order to use the eGPU RTX 2070, you will have to uninstall the MX150 using DDU, disable auto-detect, restart, and then install the normal Nvidia drivers. Once this is done, you will be able to use any Nvidia eGPU without problem.

If you are reddit user, I can refer you to /u/aramisathei who ran into the same problem with his Razer Blade 2019 ultrabook. As of now, this is the only way to make use of your eGPU. If you aren't using a Razer product, this may be a problem that pertains to the MX150 in general. 

My only other tip to you would be to not waste time with Razer's tech support. They are polite but seem to operate under the M.O. of running you around in circles until you just give up and stop asking them. You will likely get the answers you need from this forum or reddit. Good luck and do let us know if you figure out a work-around!

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Eminent Member
Feb 21, 2019 12:52 pm  

@blerghcity, read through your posts and I hope you were able to find some useful information on Reddit. I think everyone on this forum has had the shared experience of feeling frustrated at having a new toy that, as Jenson would say doesn't "just work".

Concerning your USB issues, I saw that there was a firmware upgrade for the Gaming Box dated to early January of this year. One of the firmware updates talk about balancing USB so have you tried doing that update? Might help with the peripheral issues.

Finally, some "shot in the dark" observations. The symptoms you mentioned reminded me of when I had peripherals on a USB hub which weren't getting sufficient power. Sometimes when power protection is tripped, peripherals just power off until power cycled. There is a post here of another user upgrading a small form factor PSU (drop-in) which upped the power limit to 500 or 550 watt [believe it was vega56 nano or something like that]. Maybe this higher over-head would help you out? Are you using the gaming box for power delivery too? Alternatively, the 2-lanes of TB2 are getting jammed up since you have signal throughput as well as the signals from the devices competing for limited resources.

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Eminent Member
Feb 22, 2019 11:11 pm  

Follow-up for the Aorus Gaming Box. These are the 3DMark Timespy and Firestrike scores. For reference, I am on an i9 XPS 9570. I used an OC Scanner derived overclock of +184MHz and +980 MHz on the memory. All of these tests were performed while connected to an external monitor via display port. The benchmarks did not allow me to select resolution but they looked like 1080p to 1440p. 

I noted that the highest temperature reached by the eGPU was 66 degrees Celsius during both tests. The frequency for the core ranged from 1950-1995MHz.

Annotation 2019 02 22 175735
Annotation 2019 02 22 174926
Annotation 2019 02 22 173437

This post was modified 4 months ago

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 18