Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
[Unboxing] AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box Thunderbolt 3 eGPU

[Unboxing] AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box Thunderbolt 3 eGPU  

of  5
  RSS

marakalastic
(@marakalastic)

I have the 1070 Aorus Gaming Box but 2 questions:

• how hot does your guys' chassis get? My 1070 chassis/enclosure gets super hot, almost to the point of it hurting my hand. HWMonitor says the GPU itself doesn't get above ~70C while gaming though so I'm not really concerned.
  • Is the power supply in the 1070 Gaming Box enough to power a Gigabyte Mini ITX 2070 if I were to swap?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
KezzaMcDezza
(@kezzamcdezza)

@blerghcity

I've had exactly this happen with a box I got yesterday. Strip no longer works even after hard reset of everything! Thinking back it probably stopped working after I plugged it into a displayport cable for the first time too.

This post was modified 5 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
KezzaMcDezza
(@kezzamcdezza)

Hey All,

Just got one of these delivered. Managed to get drivers installed and the GPU connected by hotplugging during the windows boot. Using the Windows hybrid graphics (this is on a MBP 2017 15" in bootcamp using the internal display) i could run a few benchmarks just fine. Actual games on the other hand are another matter. Running blackops 4 will either crash the game or crash my whole machine just loading it up. If i try to hot plug the box after windows has started again windows just crashes. I get graphical glitches in rocket league when switching between menus etc.

Everything appeared to work just fine if i used an external display with the EGPU (I could boot and play BO4).

I'm going to try using 1809 instead of 1903 for the windows build but is this just a setup issue or do I have defective hardware?
My only other thought is to try the route of enabling the igpu and using Optimus to see if that fixes my issue but if I can get it working without having to run all those extra scripts that would be preferred.

ReplyQuote
blerghcity
(@blerghcity)
Eminent Member

@kezzamcdezza

About last week the eGPU  LED strip just randomly started working again. Have no idea why. Very confusing. Nothing else has changed and I didn't use it any differently, still using the DisplayPort cable. Weird. 

Also, I as well had issues with games crashing and the issue turned out to be the included TB3 cable that Aorus included with the machine. Once I switched it out for a nicer active cable I bought on Amazon the problem went right away. Perhaps you have a similar issue. 

ReplyQuote
KezzaMcDezza
(@kezzamcdezza)

@blerghcity

Good suggestion. I've ordered an active 2M cable that will hopefully fix all this that arrives tomorrow.
I've now tried 3-4 clean instals on 2 different windows builds using both just dgpu + egpu and igpu + dgpu and seen mostly crashes (Some BSOD, Some garbled red / blue noise). Interestingly it even crashed rEfind if plugged in during that phase of the boot which makes me think it could be the cable?
Closest I have gotten is my original attempt using the dgpu + egpu hotplugging as windows boots.

If I'm still having issues tomorrow with a new cable using the dgpu + egpu method then this is going back to Amazon!

EDIT:

New cable not making any difference. Got the GPU reliably detected but frequent game crashes even during benchmarks (some games wouldn't start properly) means im returning this now.

This post was modified 5 months ago

ReplyQuote
(@brian_weigand)

I hate everyone one this forum...this hasn't been my experience with setting up my EGPU. You guys make it sound so easy, just plug and play and i spent the  big bucks on this Aorus gaming box and i cant even get my window bootcamp (Macbook Pro 2018) to do anything but charge my laptop. Any suggestion?

Pending: 2016 Macbook Pro 2.9 I7 16 GB Ram Radeon Pro 460, RTX 2070 Aorus Gaming box

ReplyQuote
Kelvin_C
(@kelvin_c)

Hi, I'm considering this egpu for CUDA processing only. Specifically for it to be used on 3D rendering engines such as Octane and Redshift. Does anybody have any experience on how the gaming box perform for 3D rendering?

ReplyQuote
(@benjamin_tucker)

@kelvin_c

I've used the 2070 Gaming Box briefly with Redshift in bootcamp on a Macbook Pro. All it needed was the correct driver to work for me. I've also used it with the Arnold GPU beta but afraid I've had no experience with Octane. I ran a benchmark on Redshift and it came in pretty close to the numbers listed here for the 2070: https://www.legitreviews.com/redshift-benchmark-gpu-render-times-with-geforce-rtx-2070-2080-2080-ti_208699

Macbook Pro 15 inch 2018, looking at the AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
(@brian_weigand)

@benjamin_tucker

Tell me you secret for getting the 2070 to work...I have literally tried everything...I have a 2016 MacBook Pro...

Pending: 2016 Macbook Pro 2.9 I7 16 GB Ram Radeon Pro 460, RTX 2070 Aorus Gaming box

ReplyQuote
(@benjamin_tucker)

@brian_weigand

Not much to tell really, I have a 2018 MBP 15 and I followed the instructions here for the older Gaming Box: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2018-macbook-pro-rp560x-gtx107032gbps-tb3-aorus-gaming-box-macos-10-13-6-windows-10/

There were a couple of things I had to do differently.
- I didn't use the Windows drivers, I went to Nvidia's website and downloaded theirs.
- I always had to use an external monitor as the internal monitor would shut down.
- I found having anything else plugged in to the thunderbolt ports could result in the eGPU not working so needed to be careful with that.

Hope this helps

Macbook Pro 15 inch 2018, looking at the AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
(@brian_weigand)

@benjamin_tucker

Which driver did you use on the Nvidia website? And did you install them before or after you plugged in the gaming box?

ReplyQuote
madweazl
(@madweazl)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @brian_weigand

@benjamin_tucker

Which driver did you use on the Nvidia website? And did you install them before or after you plugged in the gaming box?

I used the driver for the 2070; it typically defaults to the notebook 2070 driver for me so I have to manually select the desktop version. The updater does the same thing so you'll probably have to manually remove and reinstall updated drivers as well. The driver wont install unless you have the eGPU plugged in.

Edit: I'm a Weigand as well (Aaron)!

This post was modified 3 months ago

XPS 13 (9380)/AORUS Gaming Box 2070

ReplyQuote
 of  5