Notifications
Clear all

[Unboxing] AORUS RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box Thunderbolt 3 eGPU  

of  3
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@dregpu It's definitely quieter than the 1st gen Gaming Box. The pump does make noises like most water coolers I've used. It's not a silent cooling solution.

When the power cable is connected to the Gaming Box, you'd immediately hear a rush of liquid flowing through the hoses and radiator. It settles down quickly and the next noise you'd hear is the 40mm fan inside the PSU.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Trusted Member

@itsage, great content and thank you for the thorough tear-down. What are your thoughts on any temperature improvements from replacing the radiator fans with Noctua fans? Have you found that the greater hydro-static pressure produces notable reductions in temperature on any of the models you have used or dealt with in the past?

Also, the 70mm intake fan appears to be a 70x10mm model. Was there enough clearance to place a 70x15mm fan for slightly greater airflow?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ishikawa_goemon I have not changed any components inside the RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box. I simply took it apart to learn about component arrangement and to share with the community. I don't find the noise from this gaming box to be a concern at all. You can hear the water pump working but it doesn't bother me.

Cooling with all stock components has been great. The eGPU barely gets above 60 degree Celsius. I'm not sure there's enough space to fit a thicker fan. You can see in these two photos it's fairly tight at the top of the GPU. 

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@eightarmedpet I did screw up when putting this Gaming Box back together. There was a mysterious crashing symptom following the tear-down. Whenever I would put a load on the RTX 2080 Ti eGPU,  games/apps would crash within 5 minutes. There was no detection issue though so my first guess was something with the cooling system. I took the side panels off and there was the culprit, a dislodged fan connector on GPU board. 😀 

All is well now after securing that fan connector in place. I'm running the AORUS RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box with Raze Blade Stealth Ice Lake [i7-1065G7] and the HP Z27q 5K monitor. First impression on performance is that you can play FHD @ 120Hz, QHD @ 100Hz, and 4K @ 60Hz. Internal display performance is surprisingly good too. This is thanks to TBT integration on the Ice Lake. AIDA64 GPGPU shows H2D at 2,4XX MB/s which is not achievable on older CPUs paired with Nvidia cards

Razer also did some fine tuning on the RBS to make eGPU connection more seamless. They set Thunderbolt Security same as Macs, no approval needed so Thunderbolt devices will automatically connected. NVM Firmware version of 72.0 is the newest I've seen.

ReplyQuote
omardesu
(@omardesu)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @itsage

The two 2+2-pin PCIe power plugs going to the RTX2080 Ti graphics card.

Just for accuracy, I think you meant 6+2 (I can see it in the picture Mr. Green ).

I can imagine how that 40mm fan in the PSU sounds like...  After building my Velka 3 sffpc which also uses a fATX PSU, that 40mm fan noise did start to get to me.  That's when people start swapping the fan to a Noctua, myself included.  I just scanned through all the photos again, and I just realized how all the eGPU and sffpc case panels are starting to look eerily similar.  I guess when you go so small, you only have a few options to not hinder cooling.  The only difference is if you're able to fit in an entire system vs a GPU only.

As for the performance in gaming, can you get anything higher than 120Hz?  Or would this be a limitation of TB3?

Edit: forgot to give my props for an amazing teardown as per usual!

This post was modified 8 months ago

1070 Ti: 2014 Mac mini / 2016 MBP 15"
Mini ITX Build in Dan A4 Case

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + macOS 10.14.4 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  3