Notifications
Clear all

[Unboxing] AORUS RTX 3080 Gaming Box Thunderbolt 3 eGPU  

of  7
  RSS

Matthew Kwong
(@matthew_kwong)
Eminent Member

@roedi78, what about a software shutdown? Have you managed to find an option in the Gigabyte software which allows you to gracefully shut down the gaming box?

eGPU newbie
Expected setup:
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9
Gigabyte AORUS RTX 3080 Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@matthew_kwong, The software solution is part of Nvidia Optimus (or AMD XConnect for Radeon cards). You can right click the icon on the Taskbar to eject the eGPU. After which a safe disconnect can be performed and the eGPU should go into sleep mode unless it is providing Power Delivery to the host laptop.

There's no real shut off mode on the majority of Thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosures. It needs to monitor active Thunderbolt device hot-plug and/or upstream Power Delivery. Some TB3 enclosures have a Power switch on the PSU to turn everything off. The Reset button on the 2nd-gen Gaming Box is for instances when there's complication with device detection.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mayatola
(@mayatola)

Hi, sorry to butt in, but I'm new and was looking specifically for others who have this same Aorus 3080 Gaming Box. I too purchased this from Newegg on the 12th, and for the life of me, I can't get this to work on my wife's laptop. She has the HP Spectre X360 (it's pretty recent, bought it last year and has an i7-10510U, 16GB memory, Geforce MX250, and TB3 connector). The thing has a beautiful 4k panel which is obviously too much for the mobile gpu to handle in games (and she just recently started to get back into gaming), so I got the 3080 box for her as soon as I saw it was available.

First thing I did was to update everything on her laptop from the BIOS to the TB3 docking firmware to uninstalling the old display drivers with DDU and installing the latest 461.09 Nvidia drivers. Plugging in the 3080 Gaming Box for the first time caused a BSOD. The next time, it actually detected, and playing a game (Spellforce 3), it worked for a short time. But for some reason, the Gaming Box did things like turn off the mouse, touchpad, and her wireless headset (only the laptop speakers were available until that too got removed, so there were no sound devices for output). We didn't know what was going on so we updated the firmware on her wireless headset (and it was detected again), but then we got a BSOD (we keep getting ks.sys error).

We also tried booting with the eGPU connected and it seemed to load in fine except that the camera got disconnected (guessing by the eGPU) so she had to use her pin to log in. Then as we were loading in, BSOD. We unplugged and tried to boot and after loading into Windows, we plugged in. It got detected, we logged into Geforce Experience, and it made us update the display drivers again (it said the MX250 was unavailable so it made us reinstall the drivers). After that the RGB on the box finally kicked in signaling to us that it was finally ready to work (we hadn't seen the RGB on in the several previous instances in which we tried to plug it in), so that was a great sign. Then we loaded up Spellforce 3 again and the eGPU wasn't working (just the MX250 struggling). We then installed Aorus Engine and for some reason, there is no BIOS information for the gaming box. Does yours show at all?

I don't know what to do with this thing. I sent a ticket to Gigabyte but it could take a week for a response. I have tried some other forums as well and the few people that replied stated that while they have had small glitches here and there, it is nothing to the extent that my wife's laptop is experiencing. Just to put in context, my wife's laptop has been purring like a kitten for the year that she has had it. Even after all of these issues with the eGPU, when she unplugged it and rebooted, everything worked perfectly.

So to sum up, every time we plug this thing in: we get a hard freeze (have to unplug everything and shut down); BSOD (always some different stop code but always mentions ks.sys error); rapid disconnect/connect (the Windows chime for disconnecting or connecting a device goes off several times, especially while loading Spellforce); the fans on the eGPU spin up and down rapidly (as in on/off, on/off constantly); my wife's camera, mouse, touchpad, headset, and/or laptop speakers all turn off, also sometimes get disconnected from the internet (guessing the wifi is just shutting off). We did get this thing to work a couple of times for a short period of time though, but right now, it's just a problem every time we plug in.

Sorry for such a long post but I'm not sure what to do with this thing. I really want it to work for my wife, she really wants it, but I dunno, is this unit defective or should I return it? Newegg says no refund only replacements for this thing, but they're obviously out of stock. Thanks so much for reading guys.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
cnon297
(@cnon297)
Eminent Member

Hi @mayatola, I don't have that exact eGPU and I'm unsure of your power up sequence.  One thing that helps with my eGPU (AKiTiO Node) is to hot plug it into the notebook after I log in.  Ex; start with the notebook powered off.  Turn it on and log into windows.  Then hot plug the Gaming Box into a Thunderbolt port on your notebook.  Since you've already installed the latest drivers it should just be a matter of waiting maybe 5-10 seconds for the Nvidia icon to show up on the right side of the task bar.  

Also, you didn't mention if you're using an external monitor connected to the Gaming Box or looping back into the notebook 4K screen.  An external monitor will give you better performance and I found it to be a bit more reliable than forcing the eGPU to use the notebook monitor.  

You've probably already done this but didn't mention if you went into the advanced graphics settings to set each game to use the RTX 3080 graphics card instead of the default graphics.  

IMO using an eGPU isn't as plug & play as most other peripherals.  Sometimes I've had to go into the hardware device manager and disable devices to free up resources for my eGPU to be recognized.  I'm not suggesting that's the case here.  Only that it can take a bit of trial and error to get things running.  But once you do it will be easily repeatable and worth the effort.  Best regards.

2012 15" MBPro High Res TB1 4-core 2.7GHz i7 + Akitio Node + Vega56
2009 Mac Pro 5,1 3.46 6-core Xeon + Apple-Nvidia GT120 + MSI 1080TI Gaming X

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + HD 7970 @32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mayatola
(@mayatola)

Hi @cnon297,

Thanks so much for your reply. For the power up sequence, we've tried both with the eGPU plugged in and without. Both ways have had mixed results, as in both times have resulted in either BSOD or allowed a normal start up. It doesn't seem to matter which way we do it, it doesn't seem to work better one way or the other. Also no external monitor. It's not an option in any case as my wife likes to sit in her chair (no desk). We set the eGPU on a little stool next to her (it sits just within easy reach of the Thunderbolt 3 cable with no strain or anything, we made sure of that).

As for the settings in game, we didn't have to change anything as the couple of times it worked, it just automatically set it to the 3080. But I will definitely keep it in mind for the future, thank you.

Hm, I wonder if it is a resource issue as the sound and wifi and touchpad all go haywire and cut out when we plug in the eGPU. I don't understand though as my wife's laptop isn't a budget laptop or anything. If everyone had to deal with this kind of a headache, I wonder if they'd sell any of these at all! Seriously though, what do you disable? I've never dealt with this kind of stuff before, I'm more of a desktop DIY enthusiast so I'm really out of my element in this regard. Again, thanks for your help. I'm still waiting on Gigabyte to respond, but I appreciate any help in the meantime. Thank you again.

Oh, just wanted to ask about drivers. We just installed the notebook version of the latest nvidia drivers (461.09). Are we also supposed to install the 3080 version as well? Would it conflict with the notebook drivers or how does that work?

This post was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mayatola, Have you used DDU to remove Nvidia graphics drivers prior to installing the eGPU? I've found same brand dGPU and eGPU tend to cause driver conflicts when you let Windows auto-install the drivers. My approach in such setup is to remove the drivers first then disable Windows auto detect and install drivers (in DDU Options). After the reboot following DDU prompt, you can hot-plug the eGPU. In Device Manager you should see two Microsoft Basic Display Adapter devices. At the point you can manually install the latest Desktop Gaming version of the Nvidia drivers.

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

Iman83 liked
ReplyQuote
cnon297
(@cnon297)
Eminent Member

Hi @mayatola, the resource issue I was having was with a 2019 13” MacBook Pro in Windows 10 with an Nvidia eGPU.  So the devices I disabled in the hardware device manager will be different.

If it helps, my issue was mostly caused by a dock that I bought to add back the ports Apple removed since the 2015 models (2016+ MBPros have Thunderbolt-3 ports-only).  This wasn’t a problem in macOS.  But in Win10 the dock used up all the available hardware resources and my eGPU could not be enabled (yellow !).  It took quite a bit of trial and error but it ended up working reliably.  

However, I’d suggest following @itsage advice before mine since he owns and has tested Gaming Box RTX eGPUs like yours.  If you still want to try temporarily disabling hardware in the device manager be sure to start by setting a Win10 Restore point.   Don’t disable anything critical.  Maybe start with the webcam, SD card reader,  bluetooth…  Is it possible to disable Gaming Box USB & GigE ports?

Just to emphasize:  Set a Restore Point before making any changes!  Create a backup if you don’t already have one!  You know the old saying about an ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure 😉

2012 15" MBPro High Res TB1 4-core 2.7GHz i7 + Akitio Node + Vega56
2009 Mac Pro 5,1 3.46 6-core Xeon + Apple-Nvidia GT120 + MSI 1080TI Gaming X

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + HD 7970 @32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
papoose02
(@papoose02)
Eminent Member

Hi all and happy new year!

just replaced my aorus box 2080Ti with the new aorus box 3080.

my build goes with an xps 17 9700 core i7 , and was working Nice and fine with the 2080ti.

Hotplug after login with no use to disable the Onboard 2060 was greatly fonctionnal.

Then, the first time i plugged the 3080box, without upgrading drivers, everything felt ok but my 8900 score on timespy made me upgrade to the last nvidia drivers for the 3080.

after installing this last drivers (desktop ones), i installed from the gigabyte site (3080 box page) the aorus engine.

since then, the scores went worse with stutters on timespy like every second.

uninstalled all drivers ,including the TB3 ones , reinstalled everything , nothing changes... 

on cuda z, everything looks fine...

any ideas ? 
thanks all!

ReplyQuote
mayatola
(@mayatola)

@itsage @cnon297

Thanks guys. I did use DDU to uninstall her old drivers, but I didn't disable the Windows Auto Detect. I did this time and rebooted, and now every time I try to plug in the eGPU, there are the rapid disconnects and connects (with the fans spinning up and down rapidly as well) and then a BSOD. And this time, it is repeatable every time. Before, sometimes it connected and sat there (it still wouldn't work, but at least it connected). I am convinced that this has to be a defective unit. I'm returning this to Newegg to get a replacement and see how it goes from there.

I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but it is a 2-in-1 tablet/laptop, but I did disable the tablet mode (she almost never uses it that way anyway). Also, while it has the Nvidia MX 250, it also has Intel UHD integrated graphics. I don't think DDU removed it though I'm not sure it was an option. In any case, it did remove the MX 250 and in device manager it wasn't (and still isn't) properly set up with the correct drivers. I'm going to send this unit back tonight, but if you guys think I should try something else, please let me know. Thanks again so much for all of your help.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mayatola, Do you see any Thunderbolt settings in the laptop's BIOS? Which version of Thunderbolt Control Center is running? I'm guessing there could be some type of security settings that interferes with the eGPU detection and connection.

ReplyQuote
 of  7