[Unboxing] AORUS RTX 3080 Gaming Box Thunderbolt 3 eGPU

Notifications
Clear all

[Unboxing] AORUS RTX 3080 Gaming Box Thunderbolt 3 eGPU  

of  6
  RSS

Androol25
(@androol25)

Unfortunately I just started having issues with mine as well. I'm using the newest release of BootCamp Windows 10 64-bit on a 16" MacBook Pro. At first it was basically plug and play and worked really well, then out of nowhere it stopped working. I re-installed Windows and now it won't even detect the GPU! It won't let me install the Nvidia driver either because it says I don't have an Nvidia card associated with my machine. All the USB ports, the RGBs, and the charging work though through the thunderbolt 3 cable

I'm at a loss right now and am going to try it on my partner's computer later to see if it's my version of Windows/some security issue or if it's the hardware. I'll be really bummed if it's the hardware because it'll probably be a minute before I can get another RTX3080.. I have another eGPU enclosure already though so it wouldn't the the end of the world. If anyone makes any progress with the issues they're having with this card, let me know!

EDIT: Oh yeah, also when I received mine I was having overheating problems for a little bit and then I saw a thread saying the fan might be disconnected.. and that was the problem. Kind of a bad thing to ship these from the manufacturer with disconnected fans! Unamused  

This post was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@androol25, Try DDU to remove existing Nvidia drivers as well as port associations. Then manually install the latest drivers (skip GeForce Now if possible).

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 // my 3rd RTX 3080 build [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mayatola
(@mayatola)

Damn, sorry to see others having problems with this 3080 Gaming Box. I really wanted my wife to have a way to enjoy gaming on her laptop, but I guess my little adventure into eGPUs is over for now. Newegg issued me a refund instead of a replacement as they don't have the item in stock (the email mentioned that they "no longer carry the item" but I still see it listed on their site, so maybe just out of stock). Hopefully the next time I can try, it'll be a more positive experience. In any case, I hope you guys manage to get your issues fixed.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
cnon297
(@cnon297)
Eminent Member

Hi @mayatola,  The Gaming Box series has always been impressive but also limited to the factory installed GPU (hacks aside).  You might want to consider the Razer Core X or Sonnet Breakaway with their 650W to 700W power supplies and support for 3 slot wide graphics cards.  You could pair them with just about any graphics card you want.  You could also get your wife gaming sooner with an available graphics card.  Then upgrade later as stock & pricing improves.  

Razer specifically lists the Razer Core X eGPU as supporting “GeForce RTX 30 Series” graphics cards.  Previous NVIDIA cards are also supported.  They don’t list the latest Radeon RX 6000 series yet tho previous models are supported.  

FWIW my AKiTiO Node (bought 2017) has had a Radeon 7970, GeForce 980Ti, GeForce 1080Ti, and Vega 56 installed over the years.  All worked great in Windows 10 and compatible macOS versions.  Bottom line, you get more flexibility with modern 2 or 3-slot width eGPUs than custom built eGPUs like the Gaming Box, Blackmagic, or Breakaway Puck (IMO). 

2012 15" MBPro High Res TB1 4-core 2.7GHz i7 + Akitio Node + Vega56
2009 Mac Pro 5,1 3.46 6-core Xeon + Apple-Nvidia GT120 + MSI 1080TI Gaming X

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + HD 7970 @32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
mayatola
(@mayatola)

@cnon297

Thank you, I think that is probably the best way to go. I just wanted to get her something that I thought would be plug and play, but it would be better if I spent more time and thought in putting something together that is upgradable. Have a few days before the refund comes back, so I guess I'll start looking into the Razer, Sonnet, and Akitio! Thanks!

ReplyQuote
cnon297
(@cnon297)
Eminent Member

Hi @mayatola, I love my AKiTiO but it only supports 2 slot-wide graphics cards with a low (by today's standards) 400W or 500W SFX power supply.  Also, it will only provide 15W charging to your wife's notebook.  Best to skip it if your end game is a high end RTX 3080.  

My personal preference would be the black Razer Core X for $300.  It supports 3 slot-wide graphics cards, 100W charging for notebooks and has a 650W ATX power supply.  It doesn't have extra ports or go-fast LED lighting.  If you want those there's a Razer Core X Chroma version for $100 more.  I may be biased in favor of the Core X.  So for more eGPU options the "Best eGPU Enclosures" article on the egpu.io homepage has reviews and users builds of just about every eGPU made.  

Best of luck whichever you decide!

This post was modified 1 month ago

2012 15" MBPro High Res TB1 4-core 2.7GHz i7 + Akitio Node + Vega56
2009 Mac Pro 5,1 3.46 6-core Xeon + Apple-Nvidia GT120 + MSI 1080TI Gaming X

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + HD 7970 @32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

Is someone able to clarify whether you can remove the 3080 and place it in a desktop? I usually use the AGB with my blade but when I'm not travelling, I would like to use it with my desktop? Thank you!

2019 Razer Blade Stealth GTX1650 Win10
Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070
Asus XG Station Pro (RX570 8GB + RTX 2080)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@iculikemac, It's possible if you have the right mounting support for it inside a Desktop case. The water hoses are fairly short and the radiator/fans are arrange to sit parallel with the GPU PCB.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 // my 3rd RTX 3080 build [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

@itsage, Thank you!

It may be a tad difficult in that case but I’ll see if I can make it work

2019 Razer Blade Stealth GTX1650 Win10
Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070
Asus XG Station Pro (RX570 8GB + RTX 2080)

ReplyQuote
 of  6