[Unboxing & Teardown] Blackmagic eGPU Ra...

[Unboxing & Teardown] Blackmagic eGPU Radeon Pro 580 Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure  

Page 1 / 25
  RSS

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Jul 13, 2018 9:41 pm  

The BlackMagic eGPU just arrived in the mail. Apple's involvement with this enclosure shows in the packaging. It's very similar to unboxing the 2013 Mac Pro trashcan: black handle on top of the box and square footprint. This is the first retail eGPU box that displays the Mac logo up front. Top corner shows Thunderbolt 3 eGPU AMD-RX580. It's an inconsistency with other marketing materials that say the graphics card is a Radeon Pro 580.

Five main selling features shown on top of the box as well as the user manual: Thunderbolt 3, 85W USB-C Power Delivery, Ultra Quiet = 18dB, 4x USB 3.1 ports, and HDMI Monitor Output. They're actually missing the most crucial selling point, Thunderbolt 3 Monitor Output.

There's no other accessories other than the power cable and .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable. They are inside this small white box tucked neatly in the bottom foam block.

Top of the enclosure is a black plastic vent. Right underneath is a metal grille to prevent foreign objects falling into the fan blade. There's only one cooling fan (likely 140mm) drawing air out of the eGPU through the top. In the bottom, there's a plastic platform to raise the enclosure up to allow airflow. A single LED is located in the center of the bottom vent. No exposed screws of switches to be found. The four rubber feet hide four Torx-10 security screws.

I quickly opened it up to check the cooling system and PSU. It looks tricky to remove the entire core out of the enclosure. I will take my time tearing it down this weekend and share more internal component photos.

I personally think the design and materials of this eGPU match Alienware computers better than Macs. Here are a couple photos of the Blackmagic eGPU next to the nMP and Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box for scale.

I used @mac_editor's Purge-Wrangler script to pair with the 2013 Mac Pro trashcan. All is working well so far. I don't currently have a Thunderbolt 3 Mac to test so it will be paired with this nMP and a 2015 15" MacBook Pro. In Windows, I will use an Alienware 15 R3. AppleCare told me they need about a week to replace the top case on my 2016 15" MacBook Pro (stuck W key).

As can be seen in these screen captures, the Thunderbolt firmware version of this eGPU is 26.3. The four USB ports attach to a 3.1 gen 1 hub. I will be doing tests for a full review of this Blackmagic eGPU. Please let me know if I left out any information you’d like to know.

Update: Blackmagic eGPU review

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

Mathematig, Jeroenvankeulen, goalque and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
MýnÆnglishTáwk
(@mynenglishtawk)
Eminent Member
Jul 13, 2018 9:46 pm  

But I thought that the Mac Pro already had a good video chip inside it.

My Homemade Gaming Laptop

My webside showing my laptop

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
Jul 13, 2018 11:01 pm  

Awesome, I like it very much.
keep us updated.
i’ve noticed Packaging states Pro 580 but also RX 580 on the top side. Maybe a typo.

eGPU.it
MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64
Testing Radeon VII on macOS 10.14.5 beta

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Jul 14, 2018 2:21 am  

@ikir Yes, they misprinted on the box AMD-RX580 rather than Radeon Pro 580. Sometimes keeping things tightly under wraps can be bad. 😛

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
detunedradios
(@detunedradios)
Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2018 2:26 am  

Considering the RX 580 and Pro 580 are the same GPU (just that "Pro" is the iMac variant), I have to wonder if the decision to call this one a Radeon Pro 580 was a late decision Apple pushed Blackmagic into so it sounds fancier, haha.

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.7GHz Core i7, Radeon Pro 460 4GB, 1TB SSD
Sonnet Breakaway Box 350, modded with 650W PSU, with Radeon RX Vega 64

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 25