of  16
  RSS

qlpc
 qlpc
(@qlpc)

Posted by: qlpc
Posted by: GuideOfGalaxy

Did anyone manage to get this eGPU working in Bootcamp, while maintaining the ability to use the MacBook without the eGPU connected?

Yes
if u have a 15 inch macbook pro the key is to install the intel hd graphics and disable the radeon pro dedicated internal graphics in windows if u look at me video both the internal and external screens work, most people have only got it to output to the egpu with out the internal display working, but i will work independently if u install intel hd graphics drivers only

Is it possible to use the internal dGPU when not connected to the eGPU? How hard is it to enable/disable the dGPU? (ie. is it feasible to enable it when using it without the eGPU, and to disable it every time when connecting to the eGPU?)

@GuideOfGalaxy Could you please answer this question? I really want to know this as I'm planning on buying this eGPU.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
KwamiMatrix
(@kwamimatrix)

Did anyone manage to get this eGPU working in Bootcamp, while maintaining the ability to use the MacBook without the eGPU connected?

Yes
if u have a 15 inch macbook pro the key is to install the intel hd graphics and disable the radeon pro dedicated internal graphics in windows if u look at me video both the internal and external screens work, most people have only got it to output to the egpu with out the internal display working, but i will work independently if u install intel hd graphics drivers only

Is it possible to use the internal dGPU when not connected to the eGPU? How hard is it to enable/disable the dGPU? (ie. is it feasible to enable it when using it without the eGPU, and to disable it every time when connecting to the eGPU?)

@GuideOfGalaxy Could you please answer this question? I really want to know this as I'm planning on buying this eGPU.

In general, macOS supports multiple GPUs, with each GPU driving a single display.  Regarding your first question, the standard scenario is indeed that there is no eGPU connected to the MacBook Pro, therefore, the dGPU will be enabled per the GPU load an application is requesting.  This is entirely up to the developer of your app and/or macOS.  You don't have individual control over this, unless your app 'gives' you control.  Same thing when an eGPU, like the Blackmagic eGPU with Radeon Pro 580, is connected.  It's up to macOS and/or your app. 

With regards to graphics rendering, as I noted above, the display connected to a specific GPU (iGPU, dGPU, eGPU) will have its view rendered by GPU driving that display.   In Apple programming parlance, this is called having a 'drawable' rendered by a particular GPU.  So, even if you have an eGPU connected to a particular display and a Thunderbolt port on your MacBook Pro, and say, another display connected directly to a Thunderbolt display on your MacBook Pro, an app who's view is on the display connected directly to the MacBook Pro's Thunderbolt port will have its drawable data structure rendered by the dGPU (assuming a 15 inch MacBook Pro).  Likewise, if the app's view is on the display conencted directly to an eGPU, then its drawable data structure will be rendered by the eGPU.

Apple has good developer docs on this here for further reading.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
qlpc
 qlpc
(@qlpc)

Posted by: KwamiMatrix

Yes

In general, macOS supports multiple GPUs, with each GPU driving a single display.  Regarding your first question, the standard scenario is indeed that there is no eGPU connected to the MacBook Pro, therefore, the dGPU will be enabled per the GPU load an application is requesting.  This is entirely up to the developer of your app and/or macOS.  You don't have individual control over this, unless your app 'gives' you control.  Same thing when an eGPU, like the Blackmagic eGPU with Radeon Pro 580, is connected.  It's up to macOS and/or your app. 

With regards to graphics rendering, as I noted above, the display connected to a specific GPU (iGPU, dGPU, eGPU) will have its view rendered by GPU driving that display.   In Apple programming parlance, this is called having a 'drawable' rendered by a particular GPU.  So, even if you have an eGPU connected to a particular display and a Thunderbolt port on your MacBook Pro, and say, another display connected directly to a Thunderbolt display on your MacBook Pro, an app who's view is on the display connected directly to the MacBook Pro's Thunderbolt port will have its drawable data structure rendered by the dGPU (assuming a 15 inch MacBook Pro).  Likewise, if the app's view is on the display conencted directly to an eGPU, then its drawable data structure will be rendered by the eGPU.

Thank you for the technical insight, it's interesting and it works exactly as I expected it to on macOS. However, I'm wondering if I'm still able to use the dGPU in Windows when my MacBook isn't connected to the eGPU. I'm asking this because you need to disable the dGPU when using the eGPU on Windows, and I want to know how hard it is to enable/disable it, as I want to be able to use my dGPU on the go, and my eGPU when at home.

ReplyQuote
KwamiMatrix
(@kwamimatrix)

Posted by: KwamiMatrix

Yes

Thank you for the technical insight, it's interesting and it works exactly as I expected it to on macOS. However, I'm wondering if I'm still able to use the dGPU in Windows when my MacBook isn't connected to the eGPU. I'm asking this because you need to disable the dGPU when using the eGPU on Windows, and I want to know how hard it is to enable/disable it, as I want to be able to use my dGPU on the go, and my eGPU when at home.

Ok.  I didn't realize that you were referring to the situation under Windows from your original post.

ReplyQuote
JohnBRI
(@johnbri)

Hi.  Nice thread.  Would you happen to have some additional pictures of the Power Supply for this beast?  It looks really heavy duty.  Wondering about the noise and weight too but interested in the seeing more of the power supply.  Thanks in advance!

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: JohnBRI

Would you happen to have some additional pictures of the Power Supply for this beast?  It looks really heavy duty.  Wondering about the noise and weight too but interested in the seeing more of the power supply.

He said the power supply was a "Mean Well EPP-400-12". You can google that for pictures and information (400W 12V).

One of the selling points of the Blackmagic eGPU is the near silent operation. The specs say "Acoustic Performance ≈ 18 dB" and "4.5 kg" and "315 W".

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
sirisy
(@sirisy)

Does anyone know the dimensions of the blackmagic egpu box? I'll bring one (inside the box) in a handbag and I'd like to know the size to see if it fits.
This post was modified 1 year ago

ReplyQuote
 of  16