[Unboxing & Teardown] Blackmagic eGPU Radeon Pro 580 Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure  

of  5
  RSS

GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

Posted by: joevt
Posted by: karatekid430

On down side, only 85W PD and GPU does not appear to be upgradable. It is not modular at all. It also has an HDMI port.

It's an HDMI 2.0 port so not the biggest minus (except it costs $200 to convert that back to DisplayPort where as DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 only costs $30 or $40 for HDR). Look for a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 chip (LSPCon?)on the PCB (Because I don't think DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 is a function of the Thunderbolt controller but the Thunderbolt controller can do HDMI 1.4 by itself and the HDMI port just needs voltage level adjustment. But maybe Titan Ridge adds HDMI 2.0 because Titan Ridge supports DisplayPort 1.4 which is supposed to support HDMI 2.0 dual mode???).

I don't think you would need to buy an active HDMI 2.0 to display port 1.2 since its really for HDMI tvs if you want to pass order and stuff, and get 4k at 60hz I would say a standard non active hdmi to display port would do the job if your just using a 4k hdmi monitor as a secondary display.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member

Posted by: GuideOfGalaxy

I don't think you would need to buy an active HDMI 2.0 to display port 1.2 since its really for HDMI tvs if you want to pass order and stuff, and get 4k at 60hz I would say a standard non active hdmi to display port would do the job if your just using a 4k hdmi monitor as a secondary display.

What it's for and what you want to do with it or can do with it are different things. If you want 4K 60 Hz DisplayPort from the HDMI 2.0 port then the converter costs $200.

A passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapter uses three of the four DisplayPort lines to transmit a HDMI signal. The DisplayPort must be able to support DP++ (DisplayPort dual mode) which allows it to transmit an HDMI signal. The computer will see a HDMI connection. Current passive adapters only support HDMI 1.4 (4K  30Hz). The passive adapter only has to change the voltage level of the lines.

An active DisplayPort to HDMI adapter has a converter that takes a DisplayPort input and outputs an HDMI signal. The computer sees a DisplayPort device.

There's no such thing as a non-active (or passive) HDMI to DisplayPort adapter. HDMI to DisplayPort adapters must convert the HDMI input signal (3 lines) to a DisplayPort signal (1,2, or 4 lines). HDMI 1.4 adapters only need to do up to 340 MHz. HDMI 2.0 adapters need to do 600 MHz but that's not the reason it costs $200 (because the active Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapters can do 600 MHz for only $30 or $40). The reason they cost $200 is because there's no purpose made single chip that does the job. The existing converters use multiple chips, a separate power supply, and a USB firmware updater for each of the three different chips involved. The main chip uses a HID USB device for firmware update which includes four different EDIDs settable using a dip switch. The DisplayPort and HDMI chips use a USB serial console for firmware updates (one for each). The serial consoles have diagnostic commands for outputting information about the chip you are querying.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member

Regarding DisplayPort 1.4 support (if the eGPU can output DisplayPort 1.4 and the macOS drivers allow it), if I have the following:

Mac -> eGPU -> Alpine Ridge device -> Titan Ridge device (such as the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2).

A DisplayPort 1.4 display connected to the DisplayPort of the Alpine Ridge device won't receive a DisplayPort 1.4 signal because Alpine Ridge only supports DisplayPort 1.2. I wonder if it will work at all - the OS should allow DisplayPort 1.2 signals to be sent to the DisplayPort 1.4 display.

However, a DisplayPort 1.4 signal should be able to move unmolested from the eGPU to a DisplayPort 1.4 display connected to the Titan Ridge device because the DisplayPort signal is encapsulated in a Thunderbolt signal and the Alpine Ridge should be able to pass it along the chain (if it honors the timing restrictions/requirements of the DisplayPort 1.4 Thunderbolt packets).

There will be issues connecting two 5K DisplayPort 1.4 displays on a single Thunderbolt 3 chain. macOS will probably enable only one of them even if you set the first to 4K. It's the same issues as trying to connect two 4K DisplayPort 1.2 displays to a single Thunderbolt 2 chain. Thunderbolt 2 can support two 2560 x 1440 displays, but macOS won't let you connect two 4K displays even if you set the first to 2560 x 1440 before connecting the second. Apple needs to add a display disabling feature and new features for bandwidth budgeting for individual display timings and resolutions and stream count budgeting for enabling and disabling individual displays. Those new features can also apply to MST display chaining if Apple ever chooses to support that. MST display chaining has similar bandwidth / stream count budgeting requirements as Thunderbolt display chaining, and MST works over Thunderbolt (if you're using Windows).

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

ok can someone test out adapters and see what works great?
I would like to run my 4k monitor at 60hz at 4k at the moment via hdmi it only runs at 4k 30hz but I use it only a second monitor not as my main

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

Regarding DisplayPort 1.4 support (if the eGPU can output DisplayPort 1.4 and the macOS drivers allow it), if I have the following:

Mac -> eGPU -> Alpine Ridge device -> Titan Ridge device (such as the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2).

A DisplayPort 1.4 display connected to the DisplayPort of the Alpine Ridge device won't receive a DisplayPort 1.4 signal because Alpine Ridge only supports DisplayPort 1.2. I wonder if it will work at all - the OS should allow DisplayPort 1.2 signals to be sent to the DisplayPort 1.4 display.

However, a DisplayPort 1.4 signal should be able to move unmolested from the eGPU to a DisplayPort 1.4 display connected to the Titan Ridge device because the DisplayPort signal is encapsulated in a Thunderbolt signal and the Alpine Ridge should be able to pass it along the chain (if it honors the timing restrictions/requirements of the DisplayPort 1.4 Thunderbolt packets).

There will be issues connecting two 5K DisplayPort 1.4 displays on a single Thunderbolt 3 chain. macOS will probably enable only one of them even if you set the first to 4K. It's the same issues as trying to connect two 4K DisplayPort 1.2 displays to a single Thunderbolt 2 chain. Thunderbolt 2 can support two 2560 x 1440 displays, but macOS won't let you connect two 4K displays even if you set the first to 2560 x 1440 before connecting the second. Apple needs to add a display disabling feature and new features for bandwidth budgeting for individual display timings and resolutions and stream count budgeting for enabling and disabling individual displays. Those new features can also apply to MST display chaining if Apple ever chooses to support that. MST display chaining has similar bandwidth / stream count budgeting requirements as Thunderbolt display chaining, and MST works over Thunderbolt (if you're using Windows).

what about 1 5k display and 1 4k on the same thunderbolt chain?

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member

The 5K display would have to be DisplayPort 1.4 because current DisplayPort 1.2 5K displays like the LG UltraFine 5K use both DisplayPort inputs of a Thunderbolt chip.

5K (22 Gbps) + 4K (16 Gbps) = 38 Gbps leaving only 2 Gbps left over for data. I don't think Thunderbolt will let that happen. Google Thunderbolt3_TechBrief_FINAL.pdf.

Well, if the eGPU is at the end of the chain, then data would not be required so if Thunderbolt were smart enough then maybe it could happen. This would exclude Thunderbolt and USB-C displays that would require data for their USB ports.

Maybe it could work if the displays were in different parts of the Thunderbolt 3 chain. Earlier, I proposed this test:
computer -> dock 1 -> dock 2 -> eGPU -> dock 3

Where dock 1 and dock 2 could connect two 4K displays powered by the computer's GPU, then displays after the eGPU would be powered by the eGPU's GPU so you could connect two more 4K displays, or a 5K display.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member

I've been thinking about some of the design choices/compromises (besides the choice of graphics card or the choice of not using a replaceable PCIe card). There are some missed opportunities.

1) Only three of the outputs of the Radeon are exposed: two DisplayPorts through a Thunderbolt port and a HDMI 2.0 port. Radeon PCIe cards usually have a third DisplayPort. In fact Radeon's can have 6 outputs (for example, the MacBook Pro uses 5).

2) Titan Ridge has a USB port which could be used with the extra DisplayPorts(s) of the Radeon to create USB-C port(s) supporting 4K USB-C displays like the LG UltraFine 4K display. The HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 seems to do something like this. It lets you connect two USB-C displays. You can't do that easily with this eGPU.

3) Thunderbolt 3 controllers have a DisplayPort output (called DP source) which could be used to expose one of the DisplayPorts connected to the Thunderbolt 3 controller's DisplayPort inputs (called DP sinks). Thunderbolt 3 devices use this for their DisplayPort output. This way, you can more easily connect two DisplayPort displays because all you need is a USB-C adapter for the Thunderbolt 3 port. Combine this with #2 by making it a USB-C port also (because you can easily convert USB-C to DisplayPort but you can't easily convert DisplayPort to USB-C) so you can connect two USB-C displays. Combine this with #1 to allow connecting three or five USB-C displays.

I suppose all of the above would make it even more expensive but after $700 what's a few more $?

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member

Another test to prove graphics are coming from the eGPU's GPU (maybe someone can do this test at least):

Thunderbolt 2 Mac -> eGPU -> two 4K displays from Thunderbolt.

Because Thunderbolt 2 can't support two 4K displays. If you don't have a Thunderbolt 2 Mac, then a Thunderbolt 3 cable rated at 20 Gbps will also work. Two Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapters can also constrict bandwidth to 20 Gbps.

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

The 5K display would have to be DisplayPort 1.4 because current DisplayPort 1.2 5K displays like the LG UltraFine 5K use both DisplayPort inputs of a Thunderbolt chip.

5K (22 Gbps) + 4K (16 Gbps) = 38 Gbps leaving only 2 Gbps left over for data. I don't think Thunderbolt will let that happen. Google Thunderbolt3_TechBrief_FINAL.pdf.

Well, if the eGPU is at the end of the chain, then data would not be required so if Thunderbolt were smart enough then maybe it could happen. This would exclude Thunderbolt and USB-C displays that would require data for their USB ports.

Maybe it could work if the displays were in different parts of the Thunderbolt 3 chain. Earlier, I proposed this test:
computer -> dock 1 -> dock 2 -> eGPU -> dock 3

Where dock 1 and dock 2 could connect two 4K displays powered by the computer's GPU, then displays after the eGPU would be powered by the eGPU's GPU so you could connect two more 4K displays, or a 5K display.

I have tried to connect a 5k lg monitor and a 4k monitor via display port and it worked on a elgato thunderbolt dock on a single thunderbolt port but what it did was start disabling ports on the dock to conserve bandwidth, ended up disabling alot of ports just to run the 2 monitors. so this may work with this egpu if all you have is the monitors plugged in and nothing else on one side of the computer.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@itsage, for an Optimus-type arrangement, we could deduce if the eGPU's GPU is driving the TB3-port attached LCD by observing PCIe bandwidth using CL!ing:
https://egpu.io/forums/desktop-computing/clng-gpu-memory-bandwidth-and-compute-performance-macos-app/

1. play a 4k movie on the TB3 LCD and run CL!ing at the same time. Capture the CL!ing window.
2. Then drag the movie window started on the eGPU-attached LCD over to the MBP's internal LCD and run CL!ing.  Capture the CL!ing window.

If the eGPU's GPU is driving the LCD, then for (1) there would be a decreased H2D for the movie.
If the MBP's GPU is driving the LCD,  in an Optimus-like eGPU accelerated arrangement,  then for (1) there would decreased H2D for the movie as well as D2H bandwidth for the LCD loopback traffic. Then (1) & (2) results will be similar.
If the MBP's GPU is driving the LCD without eGPU acceleration, then we'd see no H2D or D2H bandwidth decreases for (1) & (2).

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member

I have tried to connect a 5k lg monitor and a 4k monitor via display port and it worked on a elgato thunderbolt dock on a single thunderbolt port but what it did was start disabling ports on the dock to conserve bandwidth, ended up disabling alot of ports just to run the 2 monitors. so this may work with this egpu if all you have is the monitors plugged in and nothing else on one side of the computer.

Please describe the Thunderbolt chain of devices in painfully explicit detail (or as much detail as my examples). Also, use SwitchResX to see the timings of the displays to make sure they are using full bandwidth. A 4K display should be ≈530 MHz and a 5K display should be > 900 MHz.

Also, what does Sytem Information.app say each display is connected to? They can't both be connected to the eGPU or the computer because Thunderbolt 3 controllers only have two DisplayPorts, and a 5K display takes two (you are refering to the LG UltraFine 5K? because you could be talking about a DisplayPort 1.4 5K monitor...) Take same screen shots. Also, take a screen shot of the USB 3.1 Bus in System Information.app to see the PCI Device ID of the Blackmagic eGPU.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member

Posted by: nando4

If the eGPU's GPU is driving the LCD, then for (1) there would be a decreased H2D for the movie.

Because the computer is using H2D bandwidth sending the movie to the eGPU for playback.

If the MBP's GPU is driving the LCD, in an Optimus-like eGPU accelerated arrangement, then for (1) there would decreased H2D for the movie as well as D2H bandwidth for the LCD loopback traffic. Then (1) & (2) results will be similar.

Decreased H2D because the computer is using H2D bandwidth sending the movie to the eGPU for playback.
Decreased D2H as the computer will be reading graphics from the eGPU to display on the LCD through the computer's GPU (same for 1 and 2)
Decreased H2D again because the computer's GPU is sending DisplayPort over Thunderbolt to the LCD even if #2 because the LCD is always needing video.

If the MBP's GPU is driving the LCD without eGPU acceleration, then we'd see no H2D or D2H bandwidth decreases for (1) & (2).

Wouldn't there be decreased H2D because the computer's GPU is sending DisplayPort over Thunderbolt to the LCD? It would be lower than connecting the LCD to the computer's other Thunderbolt port.

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

Please describe the Thunderbolt chain of devices in painfully explicit detail (or as much detail as my examples). Also, use SwitchResX to see the timings of the displays to make sure they are using full bandwidth. A 4K display should be ≈530 MHz and a 5K display should be > 900 MHz.

Also, what does Sytem Information.app say each display is connected to? They can't both be connected to the eGPU or the computer because Thunderbolt 3 controllers only have two DisplayPorts, and a 5K display takes two (you are refering to the LG UltraFine 5K? because you could be talking about a DisplayPort 1.4 5K monitor...) Take same screen shots. Also, take a screen shot of the USB 3.1 Bus in System Information.app to see the PCI Device ID of the Blackmagic eGPU.

yep sure
Elgato thunderbolt 3 dock connected directly to Macbook pro 15 inch, nothing else pluged into any other thunderbolt port.
LG 5k pluged into 2nd thunderbolt 3 port on elgato dock,
4k monitor plug into display port on elgato dock.
and usb things like wireless keyboards and mouse and gigabit ethernet.
when I first connected it all both displays came on at full res 60hz
then I though w00 hoo it works
then I noticed ports were starting to stop working and then I realized that it doesn't like that as soon as I rebooted it droped the display port 4k monitor port and everything else was activated again.

then when I unplug it and plug i back in again it start to take on the two monitors again.
elgatos website says it can't run a 5k monitor with a 4k monitor but it can run a single 5k monitor or 2 4k monitors.

when the 5k monitor is active it says it will auto disable the display port.

I think I found a hack round it though to make it run 2 monitors but nothing else works besides it.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member

You need to check SwitchResX to make sure the 5K is not running at 4K. That is the only way you can connect a LG UltraFine 5K and a 4K at the same time to the same Thunderbolt chain. The 5K could run a 5K resolution but scaled down to 4K to fit through a single DisplayPort (it will look slightly blurry). The 5K could be a 2560x1440 HiDPI scaled to 4K. So you have to check the pixel clock in SwitchResX (since the LG doesn't have an onscreen menu to show the current resolution and refresh rate).

I think you have to connect the 4K first, then the 5K will be forced to use 4K when you plug it in second? If the 5K is running at 4K then I don't see why any ports would be disabled as the Elgato is supposed to be able to support two 4K displays? But maybe the 5K is reserving extra bandwidth even when it's running at 4K? That would be weird.

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

ok I am all setup now
2 displays plugged into the blackmagic eGPU
1 x samsung 4K monitor via hdmi at 30hz
1 x LG 5k ultrafine monitor via thunderbolt 3 at 60hz 
runs great!!

for some reason my video card says Radeon Polaris 8gb graphics card. or AMD Radeon RX Ellesmere Prototype lol.

but it works perfect I ran the set egpu script so it always uses the egpu for ALL applications so now the testing begins 🙂

Screen Shot 2018 07 17 at 8.45.12 pm
Screen Shot 2018 07 17 at 8.46.08 pm

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member

To get 4K 60 Hz on that 4K display you need a $200 HDMI 2.0 to DisplayPort adapter. Some displays (like the Dell P2415Q) that support 4K 60 Hz via DisplayPort 1.2 and 4K 30 Hz via HDMI 1.4 have a hidden option to enable HDMI 2.0.

for some reason my video card says Radeon Polaris 8gb graphics card. or AMD Radeon RX Ellesmere Prototype lol.

Are you using macOS 10.13.6?

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

To get 4K 60 Hz on that 4K display you need a $200 HDMI 2.0 to DisplayPort adapter. Some displays (like the Dell P2415Q) that support 4K 60 Hz via DisplayPort 1.2 and 4K 30 Hz via HDMI 1.4 have a hidden option to enable HDMI 2.0.

Are you using macOS 10.13.6?

yeah don't care thats its 4k 30hz its a secondary display, the 5k ultrafine is my main display.

10.13.5 didn't know there was a 10.13.6 ?
downloading 10.13.6 now 🙂

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@guideofgalaxy According to the screenshot, both the HDMI and TB3 ports are wired to the eGPU which makes it unique solution on the market. Other dual TB3 port solutions, such as HL23T and Node Pro can't do the same thing.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
2018 13" MacBook Pro + Radeon [email protected] + Win10 1809

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

final cut X with set egpu script runs amazing extremely fast exports and render times even with multiple LUTs and effects it still runs silent!!

and DaVinci resolve well thats just fast with this thing it really takes full advantage of the egpu.

Heaven benchmark looks good at about 33fps at 2560x1440 res at maxed out settings.

Counter strike Global Offensive runs great at maxed settings 😀

ok just had its first Freeze, the egpu just froze after having multiple videos and other things going on it just decided to freeze seems to be ok now though and i have the same things running.

Maxed out settings on Rocket League at 2560 x 1440 resolution runs smooth as 🙂

ok I tested out windows bootcamp 
and DO NOT attempt it I repeat do not attempt it.
here is why when you update driver and restart it makes you screen flicker and its really bad.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member

Posted by: goalque

@guideofgalaxy According to the screenshot, both the HDMI and TB3 ports are wired to the eGPU which makes it unique solution on the market. Other dual TB3 port solutions, such as HL23T and Node Pro can't do the same thing.

Always in the past, DisplayPort over Thunderbolt originated only from the computer. With this Titan Ridge based eGPU, DisplayPort can now originate anywhere in the Thunderbolt chain. itsage showed that the DisplayPort originating from the eGPU can propagate through Thunderbolt devices further down the chain:
computer -> eGPU DisplayPort source -> dock with DisplayPort sink

No one has tested the other possibilities that this new paradigm might allow:

1) Can the DisplayPort originating at the end of a Thunderbolt chain be extracted by a Thunderbolt device further up the chain?
computer -> dock with DisplayPort sink -> eGPU DisplayPort source
If the dock's display gets video from the computer instead of the eGPU, then it means Thunderbolt can only transmit DisplayPort in a downward direction.

2) Can DisplayPort sources exist at different points in the Thunderbolt chain?
computer DisplayPort source -> dock 1 with DisplayPort sink -> eGPU DisplayPort source -> dock 2 with displayport sink
Maybe dock 1 will sink the computer's source, and dock 2 will sink the eGPU's source.

3) Can DisplayPort sources propagate past other DisplayPort sources?
computer DisplayPort source -> eGPU DisplayPort source -> dock 1 with DisplayPort sink -> dock 2 with DisplayPort sink -> dock 3 with DisplayPort sink
Maybe one or two docks will sink the computer sources and the remaining dock(s) will sink the eGPU's sources.

The source doesn't have to be a full eGPU. For example, some manufacturer in the future could make a Thunderbolt 3 dock with DisplayPort inputs. This could be used in conjunction with a standard PCIe card based eGPU to drive Thunderbolt or USB-C displays. Then current eGPUs and graphics cards wouldn't be obsoleted by Titan Ridge based eGPUs.

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member

Did it fix the graphics card name problem?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

[email protected] When tested daisy-chaining MBP «» AKiTiO Node Pro + RX 580 «» Gibabyte RX 580 Gaming Box only the eGPU at the front of the chain worked. This was the same in both macOS and Windows. I received a notification in Windows that explicitly states eGPU has to be in the front of the chain. Apple says we can use up to four eGPUs because Thunderbolt 3 Macs have at most four Thunderbolt 3 ports. 

I'm unsure whether the Titan Ridge introduces any difference in daisy-chaining. Once I have more time and access to a Thunderbolt 3 Mac, I will run MBP «» AKiTiO Node + NVMe SSD «» Blackmagic eGPU.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

Did it fix the graphics card name problem?

yep sure did among other things as well the LG monitor did an update as well when it got that 10.13.6 update.

seem to be a difference overall too with applications using the EGPU.
the script doesn't' work with compressor if you guys have tried set egpu it will work with final cut X though.

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

Posted by: itsage

[email protected] When tested daisy-chaining MBP «» AKiTiO Node Pro + RX 580 «» Gibabyte RX 580 Gaming Box only the eGPU at the front of the chain worked. This was the same in both macOS and Windows. I received a notification in Windows that explicitly states eGPU has to be in the front of the chain. Apple says we can use up to four eGPUs because Thunderbolt 3 Macs have at most four Thunderbolt 3 ports. 

I'm unsure whether the Titan Ridge introduces any difference in daisy-chaining. Once I have more time and access to a Thunderbolt 3 Mac, I will run MBP «» AKiTiO Node + NVMe SSD «» Blackmagic eGPU.

I think the idea behind the blackmagic egpu is that its direct output from the graphics card to the thunderbolt display I think its only daisy chaining power and data back to the computer
everything else if being handled directly by the graphics card, its not making several trips up and down the chain link to get video to work on a thunderbolt monitor like I have seen some egpus do.

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@guideofgalaxy That was my first thought and it would make sense, all that eGPU integration, and dedicated for macOS only.

--

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

I do think Apples version of an egpu is more cleaner and well thought out.

I just wish they did one for all there supported graphics cards then let the customer choose.

eg have an option on the website to choose a vega 56 or 64 but I do think this is apple testing the waters though just like the lg 5k display.

they may come out with there own apple branded eGPU next  year along side maybe a new mac pro.

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

do you think the imac bootcamp driver for the Radeon pro 580 would work with this?

anyone tried these drivers on windows yet?
https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/bootcamp

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Good question.
https://www.amd.com/en/graphics/workstations-radeon-pro-500

Compute units match: 36 (2304)
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2968/radeon-pro-580

Is the device identifier the same?  https://eu.battle.net/forums/de/overwatch/topic/17616621668

Card name: Radeon Pro 580
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-249F-11CF-DA73-61237CC2D835}

Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x67DF
Revision ID: 0x00C0

--

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

get 4K 60 Hz on that 4K display you need a $200 HDMI 2.0 to DisplayPort adapter. So

its a 500 dollar AUD adapter in Australia, for those that don't know all prices in Australia include 10% GST. which is sales tax.

https://www.amazon.com.au/gofanco-Prophecy-HDMI-DisplayPort-Converter/dp/B07BT4BG4C

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member

Posted by: goalque

Is the device identifier the same?  https://eu.battle.net/forums/de/overwatch/topic/17616621668

Card name: Radeon Pro 580
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-249F-11CF-DA73-61237CC2D835}

Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x67DF
Revision ID: 0x00C0

Does the subsystem vendor/device ids matter?
http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1002/67df

its a 500 dollar AUD adapter in Australia, for those that don't know all prices in Australia include 10% GST. which is sales tax.

https://www.amazon.com.au/gofanco-Prophecy-HDMI-DisplayPort-Converter/dp/B07BT4BG4C

The same adapter is manufactured for SIIG. I got mine from opto-media.com before gofanco and SIIG were selling it. All three use the same firmwares.

Some people have had problems with game consoles and displays that expect 533 MHz instead of HDMI's 594 MHz. Others have had problems with GSYNC monitors. I'm getting a new firmware with 533 MHz timing in a separate EDID. They won't let you make your own EDID's and the firmware uses some compression so you can't edit the EDID yourself. My Dell P2415Q can take with 533 or 594 MHz.

I think the idea behind the blackmagic egpu is that its direct output from the graphics card to the thunderbolt display I think its only daisy chaining power and data back to the computer
everything else if being handled directly by the graphics card, its not making several trips up and down the chain link to get video to work on a thunderbolt monitor like I have seen some egpus do.

Hopefully (probably from what we've seen so far). The several trips thing is something that happens with previous eGPUs. We've proposed tests to prove that is not happening with this eGPU. My NVMe test is similar to nando4's CL!ing test were read/write of NVMe is replaced by D2H/H2D of GPU.

ReplyQuote
KwamiMatrix
(@kwamimatrix)

@itsage, if you boot Windows and run an app like Unigine Heaven off the Mantiz Titan attached LG 4K LCD, does performance reflect it being eGPU accelerated?

That's a test outside of macOS as Apple may be applying some tweaks to make the TB display appear attached to the eGPU.

I tried the same arrangement with the Razer Blade Stealth as you suggested. There was absolutely no monitor output even through the HDMI port directly from Blackmagic eGPU to LG monitor. The monitor detected there's a video input when I plugged it in and the internal display of RBS flickered indicating there's an external monitor. There was nothing showing on the LG monitor however.

Regarding the Blackmagicdesign Radeon Pro 580 based eGPU under Windows 10, would you be able to try the following:

-Do you happen to have access to a 2017 iMac with Radeon Pro 580?  If so, is it possible to extract the AMD Radeon Drivers from it and install it within the Windows 10 OS on your Razor Blade Stealth?  Or, can you try running the Blackmagicdesign Radeon Pro 580 based eGPU on a 2017 iMac (with internal discrete Radeon Pro 580) under bootcamp?

-Can you try AMD's Radeon Pro Software on Windows 10 on your Razer Blade Stealth?  Radeon Pro GPUs can use both the gamer-focused drivers (Radeon Software for Radeon Pro) & workstation drivers (Radeon Pro Software).  Check this out:  https://www2.ati.com/relnotes/driver-options-user-guide.pdf

-Can you try unofficial AMD drivers from bootcampdrivers.com under bootcamp (Win 10) on a Mac or on your Razer Blade Stealth with the Blackmagic Radeon Pro 580 based eGPU?

I'm curious if any of these methods will enable the Blackmagic eGPU to run under Windows 10

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

for the price of the adapter in Australia you can buy a new 4k monitor that has a hdmi 2.0 port built in lol.

I just realized the top spec imac (that isn't a imac pro) actually has a radeon pro 580 8gb on a 5k imac.

https://www.apple.com/au/shop/buy-mac/imac/27-inch

so it must be the same version as the blackmagic.

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

ok after much much testing in windows bootcamp with radeon pro 580 drivers

I have found that its ok with the drivers and it seem to be a controller driver issue with the new eGPU it seem like windows 10 doesn't have the drivers for it even if you search it can't seem to identify the egpu.

I think was all need to wait for Apple or blackmagic to provide driver support or for Microsoft to provide support because its either one or the other.
any way I have given up on windows 10 bootcamp so meh.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I have found that its ok with the drivers and it seem to be a controller driver issue with the new eGPU it seem like windows 10 doesn't have the drivers for it even if you search it can't seem to identify the egpu.

I think was all need to wait for Apple or blackmagic to provide driver support or for Microsoft to provide support because its either one or the other.

Which version of Windows did you use for Bootcamp? I checked Boot Camp Assistant last night and the drivers for these 2018 MacBook Pro are not available yet.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
KwamiMatrix
(@kwamimatrix)

Posted by: KwamiMatrix

@itsage, if you boot Windows and run an app like Unigine Heaven off the Mantiz Titan attached LG 4K LCD, does performance reflect it being eGPU accelerated?

That's a test outside of macOS as Apple may be applying some tweaks to make the TB display appear attached to the eGPU.

I tried the same arrangement with the Razer Blade Stealth as you suggested. There was absolutely no monitor output even through the HDMI port directly from Blackmagic eGPU to LG monitor. The monitor detected there's a video input when I plugged it in and the internal display of RBS flickered indicating there's an external monitor. There was nothing showing on the LG monitor however.

Regarding the Blackmagicdesign Radeon Pro 580 based eGPU under Windows 10, would you be able to try the following:

-Do you happen to have access to a 2017 iMac with Radeon Pro 580?  If so, is it possible to extract the AMD Radeon Drivers from it and install it within the Windows 10 OS on your Razor Blade Stealth?  Or, can you try running the Blackmagicdesign Radeon Pro 580 based eGPU on a 2017 iMac (with internal discrete Radeon Pro 580) under bootcamp?

-Can you try AMD's Radeon Pro Software on Windows 10 on your Razer Blade Stealth?  Radeon Pro GPUs can use both the gamer-focused drivers (Radeon Software for Radeon Pro) & workstation drivers (Radeon Pro Software).  Check this out:  https://www2.ati.com/relnotes/driver-options-user-guide.pdf

-Can you try unofficial AMD drivers from bootcampdrivers.com under bootcamp (Win 10) on a Mac or on your Razer Blade Stealth with the Blackmagic Radeon Pro 580 based eGPU?

I'm curious if any of these methods will enable the Blackmagic eGPU to run under Windows 10

BTW, in addition to these tests, is the Blackmagic eGPU really 14.29 lbs, as noted on the External eGPU Buyers Guide?  That's the exact same weight as the Razer Core X, and seems a little bit suspect.  The only other info I was able to find mentioning weight is an article from cinema5d mentioning a weight closer to 10lbs. 

Overall, does it feel a little heavy/dense when carrying it?  Just curious.

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

Which version of Windows did you use for Bootcamp? I checked Boot Camp Assistant last night and the drivers for these 2018 MacBook Pro are not available yet.

I used pretty much all bootcamp versions that I could find from the olders to the lastest.

I use a 2016 macbook pro 15 inch all the bootcamp drivers for me are available from apple.

the drivers for the blackmagic controller appear to be missing though.

FYI you will have the boot freeze issue with windows with this egpu pluged in on a 2016 macbook pro  15 inch.

ReplyQuote
 of  5