Clear all

[Unboxing & Teardown] Blackmagic eGPU Radeon Pro 580 Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure  

of  16
  RSS

wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Hello,

@TheItSage, as always can you provide me a decent high resolution picture please.

For pcb and components analysis.

What i can tell just looking at the assembly:
-The psu + eGpu board seems well done, the gpu connection are designed to support high current as it should.
-If the air is pulled from the top to the bottom, i like to see the filtering cap ahead the VRM heatsink, to maximize the capacitor cooling, capability,  reliability.
-Either the gpu, the VRM, the ram seems own a heatsink. These are based on passive or low airflow heatsink design with quite a nice surface area.
-If i understand it well, the gpu is soldered on the eGPU board, it mean that the board have been implemented to hold the gpu, ram, power, TB3 I/O components packed into a same pcb. Pretty curious.
-The two covered USB are very interesting, are they working?

On overall at 1st glance it seems engineered well, looking at an electrical build side only, no clues about software.

Thanks you.

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

I accidentally overwrote my first reply. What I said was:

Looks like this eGPU uses Titan Ridge (looking at the ids at  https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/8086  )

The eGPU's Titan Ridge controller has two Thunderbolt 3 ports AND a USB controller/port connected to a USB hub. This was not possible with Alpine Ridge which did not have a separate USB port (USB could only come out the two Thunderbolt ports or a separate USB controller connected via PCIe to the Thunderbolt controller).

If you click "USB 3.1 Bus" in System Information.app, does it show the Titan Ridge PCI ids?

The USB hub has USB vendor ID 1EDB = "BLACKMAGIC DESIGN PTY.".

It is unclear if a display connected to the eGPU is connected to the eGPU's Radeon or to the computer's GPU. What does IORegistryExplorer.app say the display is connected to? Maybe include a ioreg dump? lspci? Or try my pcitree.sh script at #223 (lspci and pcitree won't show displays and usb, but they do show pci devices).

Imagine a Thunderbolt 3 chain like this:
Computer -> dock 1 -> Blackmagic eGPU -> dock 2.
If a display is connected to dock 1, then I expect it to get video from the computer's GPU. If a display is connected to dock 2, then does the video come from the eGPU's GPU directly, or does it come from the computer's GPU?

Imagine a Thunderbolt 3 chain like this:
Computer -> NVMe device -> eGPU -> displays.
If two 4K displays (a configuration that uses the max display bandwidth of Thunderbolt 3) connected to the eGPU is getting video from the eGPU, then the NVMe device should be able to get near max write performance 2155 MB/s?

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
karatekid430
(@karatekid430)
Estimable Member

That is simultaneously the most beautiful and disgusting thing I have ever seen....

On the plus side, it is Titan Ridge and it appears to be an eGPU with daisy chaining.

On down side, only 85W PD and GPU does not appear to be upgradable. It is not modular at all. It also has an HDMI port.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

I quoted the wrong device ID for the USB controller. It should be:
15ec JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 USB Controller [Titan Ridge 4C 2018] I don't know why the bridges are 15ef (DD) and the USB controller is 15ec (4C). Are there two Thunderbolt controllers in the eGPU? It doesn't look that way from the HWiNFO screen shots. Maybe the 15ec is common to the 4C and DD and 15f0 is a special case for the DD only.

What does HWiNFO or IORegistryExplorer.app show when you connect a USB device to a Thunderbolt 3 port of the eGPU? I expect it to connect to Port1/Port3 of the USB Root Hub of the 15ec.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: karatekid430

On down side, only 85W PD and GPU does not appear to be upgradable. It is not modular at all. It also has an HDMI port.

It's an HDMI 2.0 port so not the biggest minus (except it costs $200 to convert that back to DisplayPort where as DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 only costs $30 or $40 for HDR). Look for a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 chip (LSPCon?)on the PCB (Because I don't think DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 is a function of the Thunderbolt controller but the Thunderbolt controller can do HDMI 1.4 by itself and the HDMI port just needs voltage level adjustment. But maybe Titan Ridge adds HDMI 2.0 because Titan Ridge supports DisplayPort 1.4 which is supposed to support HDMI 2.0 dual mode???).

ReplyQuote
Jake
 Jake
(@jake)

Does this eGPU automatically go into a standby mode when not connected to a MacBook?

And does the same happen to any screens with an auto standby function that are connected?

Or do you have to be sure to switch this on and off - every time you wish to connect a MacBook and use it?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@joevt3 Nice observation of HWiNFO64 screen capture. You are right on. The Thunderbolt 3 main board packs a lot of goodies. It's the first one with Titan Ridge JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 controller. It also sports two TI83 USB-C controllers. The tear down was not fun due to the amount of components and Torx screws. Before I could access the internal block, I had to remove 7 components and 27 Torx screws. There are plenty more screws holding the GPU & PSU together. Here are a couple of photos.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: itsage

@joevt3 Nice observation of HWiNFO64 screen capture. You are right on. The Thunderbolt 3 main board packs a lot of goodies. It's the first one with Titan Ridge JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 controller. It also sports two TI83 USB-C controllers. The tear down was not fun due to the amount of components and Torx screws. Before I could access the internal block, I had to remove 7 components and 27 Torx screws. There are plenty more screws holding the GPU & PSU together. Here are a couple of photos.

I know you're still working on the tear down. The motherboard picture doesn't show the chips clearly. Can you confirm that it's a JHL7540 or is it the JHL7440 as I speculated? Then you have to put all back together again to answer all the other questions (DisplayPort 1.4? graphics from eGPU or computer?, etc.)

I wonder of macOS even supports DisplayPort 1.4 (from eGPU as anything with an Alpine Ridge can only do DisplayPort 1.2).

I wonder why manufacturers of Titan Ridge devices are not mentioning Titan Ridge in their product descriptions? Is that something Intel is telling them not to do? Maybe they want it to be about features and not chips (though mentioning the chip is the easiest way to describe features or the limits of the features). Well, a sample size of two is not large enough to make a conclusion.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@joevt3 The TB3 controller is JHL7540. I talked to a source at Intel and the primary benefit of the Titan Ridge controller is its ability to dynamically communicate with both Thunderbolt 3 hosts and USB-C hosts. Alpine Ridge devices require Thunderbolt hosts. In terms of eGFX, Thunderbolt has always been a prerequisite so another advantage of the new TB3 controller is the ability to route DisplayPort signal from the GPU through the controller so that there's Thunderbolt 3 monitor output for 5K displays. Here are a photo showing the traces from GPU die to Thunderbolt 3 controller then out to TB3 ports.

I put everything back together and all is working well. I don't have the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor so I can only test a 4K DisplayPort monitor via a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter (in transit). I'm also waiting on the 2018 13" MacBook Pro to arrive and confirm whether it has the newer Thunderbolt 3 controllers as well. From what I heard there's no performance difference between Alpine Ridge vs. Titan Ridge.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

nando4 and ikir liked
ReplyQuote
kotlos
(@kotlos)
Trusted Member

Thanks @itsage!
Other than the support of thunderbold monitors, it would be nice to know if there are any other differences. For example if the RX580 is used in another eGPU enclosure should it offer the same performance/ acceleration. I am pretty sure you were planning to test all these anyways...

ReplyQuote
 of  16