Clear all

[Unboxing & Teardown] Blackmagic eGPU Radeon Pro 580 Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure  

of  16
  RSS

joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: wimpzilla

To be honest i do not know how an USB Hub controller could be linked to the TB controller, if i take the example of all the enclosures using docking feature without doubling the TB controller.
Also bear in mind that the TB controller is also an USB 3.1 controller on it'sown.

I would suppose that an USB IC Hub need a PCI-E lane connection to be linked to the TB controller, however all the lanes are already occupied by the gpu.
I did not understood how the TB controller accept accept additional USB Husb without doubling the TB scheme. 

The previous enclosure examples all used Alpine Ridge (as far as I know). What we're talking about here is the new Titan Ridge which might have a new method of getting USB (an extra USB port in addition to the ports included in Alpine Ridge or maybe instead of some ports of Alpine Ridge - we don't know.)

I think the External GPU Buyer Guide could add a couple extra rows of information describing the I/O ports. For example, for this eGPU:
I/O ports : 4 port USB 3.0 hub
I/O method : Titan Ridge USB

For the AKiTiO Node Duo:
I/O ports : 2nd PCIe slot
I/O method: TB PCIe split x2,x2

For the Sonnet Echo Express III-D:
I/O ports: 2nd & 3rd PCIe slots
I/O method: PCIe switch x8,x8,x4

For the Razer Core V2:
I/O ports: 4 USB 3.1, Ethernet
I/O method: 2nd TB PCIe split x1,x1,x1

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: itsage

I did more testing this morning. To get Thunderbolt 3 monitor output, I connected the Mantiz Titan TB3 dock to the second TB3 port then run a DisplayPort cable to a LG 4K monitor. The monitor is accelerated by the Radeon Pro 580 eGPU. Thunderbolt tree in System Information also showed the nice arrangement 20 Gb/s upstream to the nMP and 40 Gb/s downstream to the Mantiz dock.

Depending on how many docks you have, you could try some of the Thunderbolt chains I suggested. With a single dock, you could try the following thunderbolt chain:
computer -> dock -> eGPU
Connect the display to the dock. Does macOS show the display as connected to your computer's GPU?

The chain with a NVME device should definitely prove there is no graphics communication between the computer's GPU and displays connected after the eGPU (only if you have two 4K displays). Well, if the read/write speeds are < 2000 MB, then it means there is graphics communication too/from the computer's GPU or there is a design flaw somewhere (Titan Ridge or macOS).

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Thanks you for the pictures, give a nice look at the whole board.

Tbh, i seems nicely done, what need to be cooled have an heatsink, the VRM on the back of the pcb are placed on the opposite side of the gpu vrm.
They have a plenty of pcb surface to dissipate heat, should be ok since they are not designated to high power draw components.
The pcb on overall is well deigned, i just do not understand why not extend the cooling also the TB IC, maybe i'm wrong thinking it heat quite a lot and could throttle!
It should perform well, further in depth testing will tell, tho not sure i would overclock too much, since the power plane is shared by the other components.
Even if the gpu pack a full 6+1 or 3(doubled)+1 phases, it should be possible to hit AIB clocks if cooled enough.

On overall i like the minimalist design, even if components are packed close together, it seems have been put together with common sense.
Will not comment on price, marketing,  software have no knowledge about.

To inquire deeply how the USB hub is connected one would need high res pics of the pcb to follow the traces.
And the IC's part number to check which component it belong, the daughter board pack 3 major IC's, the Atmel chip is also interesting.
Could be interesting to do the same with other enclosures, to compare further the update from the DSL6540 to the JHL7540.

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: nando4

@itsage, if you boot Windows and run an app like Unigine Heaven off the Mantiz Titan attached LG 4K LCD, does performance reflect it being eGPU accelerated?

That's a test outside of macOS as Apple may be applying some tweaks to make the TB display appear attached to the eGPU.

I tried the same arrangement with the Razer Blade Stealth as you suggested. There was absolutely no monitor output even through the HDMI port directly from Blackmagic eGPU to LG monitor. The monitor detected there's a video input when I plugged it in and the internal display of RBS flickered indicating there's an external monitor. There was nothing showing on the LG monitor however.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

I've thought of another test to prove that graphics are not going through the computer's GPU:
PC with Thunderbolt 3 add-in card -> eGPU -> display connected to eGPU's Thunderbolt port.

With the add-in card, you can disconnect the DisplayPort inputs. This will prove the display is driven by the eGPU.

A couple issues:
1) Windows doesn't like this eGPU so you need to use a Hackintosh.
2) Hackintosh has it's own issues with Thunderbolt (hot plug, etc.) but when it works, it works.
3) Hopefully the add-in card doesn't actually require use of the DisplayPort inputs to enable PCIe tunneling over Thunderbolt.
4) If you have a PC with PCIe slots then you don't need a eGPU, but maybe you have a desktop computer to go with your laptop.

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

are you getting the boot issue with most egpus on macs with windows?

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5600 XT @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.3 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

Posted by: joevt
Posted by: karatekid430

On down side, only 85W PD and GPU does not appear to be upgradable. It is not modular at all. It also has an HDMI port.

It's an HDMI 2.0 port so not the biggest minus (except it costs $200 to convert that back to DisplayPort where as DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 only costs $30 or $40 for HDR). Look for a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 chip (LSPCon?)on the PCB (Because I don't think DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 is a function of the Thunderbolt controller but the Thunderbolt controller can do HDMI 1.4 by itself and the HDMI port just needs voltage level adjustment. But maybe Titan Ridge adds HDMI 2.0 because Titan Ridge supports DisplayPort 1.4 which is supposed to support HDMI 2.0 dual mode???).

I don't think you would need to buy an active HDMI 2.0 to display port 1.2 since its really for HDMI tvs if you want to pass order and stuff, and get 4k at 60hz I would say a standard non active hdmi to display port would do the job if your just using a 4k hdmi monitor as a secondary display.

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5600 XT @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.3 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: GuideOfGalaxy

I don't think you would need to buy an active HDMI 2.0 to display port 1.2 since its really for HDMI tvs if you want to pass order and stuff, and get 4k at 60hz I would say a standard non active hdmi to display port would do the job if your just using a 4k hdmi monitor as a secondary display.

What it's for and what you want to do with it or can do with it are different things. If you want 4K 60 Hz DisplayPort from the HDMI 2.0 port then the converter costs $200.

A passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapter uses three of the four DisplayPort lines to transmit a HDMI signal. The DisplayPort must be able to support DP++ (DisplayPort dual mode) which allows it to transmit an HDMI signal. The computer will see a HDMI connection. Current passive adapters only support HDMI 1.4 (4K  30Hz). The passive adapter only has to change the voltage level of the lines.

An active DisplayPort to HDMI adapter has a converter that takes a DisplayPort input and outputs an HDMI signal. The computer sees a DisplayPort device.

There's no such thing as a non-active (or passive) HDMI to DisplayPort adapter. HDMI to DisplayPort adapters must convert the HDMI input signal (3 lines) to a DisplayPort signal (1,2, or 4 lines). HDMI 1.4 adapters only need to do up to 340 MHz. HDMI 2.0 adapters need to do 600 MHz but that's not the reason it costs $200 (because the active Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapters can do 600 MHz for only $30 or $40). The reason they cost $200 is because there's no purpose made single chip that does the job. The existing converters use multiple chips, a separate power supply, and a USB firmware updater for each of the three different chips involved. The main chip uses a HID USB device for firmware update which includes four different EDIDs settable using a dip switch. The DisplayPort and HDMI chips use a USB serial console for firmware updates (one for each). The serial consoles have diagnostic commands for outputting information about the chip you are querying.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Regarding DisplayPort 1.4 support (if the eGPU can output DisplayPort 1.4 and the macOS drivers allow it), if I have the following:

Mac -> eGPU -> Alpine Ridge device -> Titan Ridge device (such as the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2).

A DisplayPort 1.4 display connected to the DisplayPort of the Alpine Ridge device won't receive a DisplayPort 1.4 signal because Alpine Ridge only supports DisplayPort 1.2. I wonder if it will work at all - the OS should allow DisplayPort 1.2 signals to be sent to the DisplayPort 1.4 display.

However, a DisplayPort 1.4 signal should be able to move unmolested from the eGPU to a DisplayPort 1.4 display connected to the Titan Ridge device because the DisplayPort signal is encapsulated in a Thunderbolt signal and the Alpine Ridge should be able to pass it along the chain (if it honors the timing restrictions/requirements of the DisplayPort 1.4 Thunderbolt packets).

There will be issues connecting two 5K DisplayPort 1.4 displays on a single Thunderbolt 3 chain. macOS will probably enable only one of them even if you set the first to 4K. It's the same issues as trying to connect two 4K DisplayPort 1.2 displays to a single Thunderbolt 2 chain. Thunderbolt 2 can support two 2560 x 1440 displays, but macOS won't let you connect two 4K displays even if you set the first to 2560 x 1440 before connecting the second. Apple needs to add a display disabling feature and new features for bandwidth budgeting for individual display timings and resolutions and stream count budgeting for enabling and disabling individual displays. Those new features can also apply to MST display chaining if Apple ever chooses to support that. MST display chaining has similar bandwidth / stream count budgeting requirements as Thunderbolt display chaining, and MST works over Thunderbolt (if you're using Windows).

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

ok can someone test out adapters and see what works great?
I would like to run my 4k monitor at 60hz at 4k at the moment via hdmi it only runs at 4k 30hz but I use it only a second monitor not as my main

ReplyQuote
 of  16