[Unboxing & Teardown] Blackmagic eGPU Radeon Pro 580 Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure  

of  5
  RSS

Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Posted by: GuideOfGalaxy
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Why can’t Apple stop messing about and support Bootcamp?

Apple will only provide support to "Apple branded" Hardware in bootcamp windows, they don't really care about third party brands unless there is a demand for it.
eg the LG 5k monitor took over a year after its release to get support in bootcamp, and even now its still not perfect but you can now run it at 5k resolution in windows though.

Chances are they will support the eGPUs in windows at some point when eGPUs are more main stream and the price is driven down. But Apple are going to prioritize pros in Mac OS like video editors over Windows gamers.
Lets face it if you install bootcamp windows your not doing it to run Adobe premier, your doing it to play games.

Hate to say it, but I think everything you just said makes perfect sense and is prob 100% right... I'd love one of these but since over half my steam Library is Windows only I'll just have to stick with Nvidia for now.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
KwamiMatrix
(@kwamimatrix)

Posted by: vadimyuryev
Posted by: itsage

@vadimyuryev 67DF can be a wide range of Polaris cards such as RX 470/480, RX 570/580, and Pro 580 in this enclosure. The WX 7100 will be identified as "Radeon Pro WX 7100" in About this Mac. There's no chance the card in this Blackmagic eGPU is an WX 7100.

Is there any chance the card in this Blackmagic eGPU supports Displayport 1.4 and Vesa Display Stream Compression technology?

There is indeed a chance at Displayport 1.4 support with DSC, but this will need to be tested with a Displayport 1.4 SST 5K display or 8K display to verify.  The Blackmagic eGPU, with its custom Radeon Pro 580 graphics card design, has a Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 controller that theoretically supports Displayport 1.4.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
KwamiMatrix
(@kwamimatrix)

Posted by: joevt
Posted by: KwamiMatrix

BTW, I think this came up in earlier posts in this thread, but has it been confirmed that the Blackmagic eGPU supports Displayport 1.4 (due to Titan Ridge), or is it still sending out a Displayport 1.2 signal?

We can't know until someone tries a DisplayPort 1.4 display. The Dell UltraSharp 32 8K Monitor: UP3218K looks nice. You can only get 8K at 30 Hz from the eGPU because Thunderbolt doesn't have enough bandwidth for 8K 60 Hz (two DisplayPort 1.4 signals). Too bad the eGPU doesn't expose another DisplayPort to connect it to. I don't even know if macOS supports DisplayPort 1.4 even if the eGPU does. Note that the 2018 MacBook Pro also has Titan Ridge. So the question of whether DisplayPort 1.4 is supported also applies to that. If DisplayPort 1.4 is supported on the MacBook Pro 2018, then you could connect the 8K display to it and get 8K 60 Hz, but only if macOS supports Dual Cable DisplayPort 1.4 displays.

As LG Ultrafine 5K display is a Displayport 1.2 MST display, I'm trying to understand if the Blackmagic eGPU is indeed sending it dual Displayport 1.2 signals over its Thunderbolt 3 port, or if somehow, a single Displayport 1.4 signal is being converted to dual Displayport 1.2 signals.  Anyone know?

Apple describes the LG UltraFine 5K as "dual-link SST". It is the same as those described as "Dual-cable displays" except the LG UltraFine 5K uses a Thunderbolt cable for the two DisplayPort 1.2 signals.
Using 4K displays, 5K displays, and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac
Connect multiple displays to your iMac Pro

There is zero chance that any DisplayPort 1.4 process is happening for the LG UltraFine 5K.

Also, do any USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 adapters exist that can take the dual Displayport 1.2 signals (from a MacBook Pro's USB-C Thunderbolt port) and split it into 2 separate Displayport signals?

Thunderbolt 3 to DualDisplayPort adapters are discussed at:
Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapters
I also made a list at:
LG Ultrafine 5K+1080Ti=Awful Performance (Game Benchmarks)
You'll want to use an adapter that states Mac compatibility, as some older ones use the TI82 that macOS will not allow (unless you install a patch or kext).

If you're looking for non-Thunderbolt solutions, then you're looking for a MST Hub but they use DisplayPort instead of USB-C. Apple does not support MST for display chaining. Apple supports MST only in old 4K displays that use two DisplayPort MST streams, one for the left half and one for the right half of the display. Therefore MST hubs do not work in macOS. They'll work in BootCamp.

Does the use of dual Displayport 1.2 signals over a single USB-C port only work in MST mode?  I'm a little confused on this.

DisplayPort can transmit one stream as SST or multiple streams as MST.

Thunderbolt can transmit two full DisplayPort signals. Each signal can be SST or MST. A Thunderbolt controller is used to extract the Thunderbolt DisplayPort packets. Thunderbolt DisplayPort packets do not include DisplayPort's stuffing symbols to save bandwidth. The Thunderbolt controller will recreate the stuffing symbols during output to DisplayPort.

MST doesn't let you have more pixels. It only lets you have more displays. The pixels are limited by bandwidth. The more displays, the fewer pixels each display can have. The number of displays is limited by the graphics drivers of the OS.

A display must support MST to receive a MST stream. Then you can connect another display to the MST display. If that display also supports MST, then you can connect another display to that. And so on.

Thanks for the explanations.  That's also a pretty exhaustive list of dual Displayport adapters I'll check out.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

Posted by: goalque

You can reach 60 FPS with high settings at 2560 x 1440. Gaming performance: https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

( )

yep I can confirm this I can get 60fps on mac os with fortnite but you do need to run at 2560x1440 with high settings.
I can run it at 5k resolution at all high settings but you only get between 30 and 40fps but looks way better though.

CS-Go can be maxed out thought at 5k res lol its insanely good.

Oddly in bootcamp windows fortnite doesn't perform any better than mac os lol.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member

i have to admit sometimes you forget you're on a laptop when you hooked up to a egpu, LG 5k monitor, 4k monitor, thunderbolt 3 dock, and 8TB raid 5 thunderbolt storage it just feels like I am on a speced out 5k iMac lol.

you really notice how much of performance boost the egpu is when you go portable then that radeon pro 455 2gb kicks in and you notice slower render times in final cut x and davinci resolve.

surprising games on Mac OS run very well with an egpu I know I am not going to get the same performance as say an iMac 5k with a in built Radeon Pro 580 but still, I am happy with the performance so far I can finally say I never need a desktop computer ever again I just need a MacBook pro everything I need thanks to thunderbolt 3 🙂

ReplyQuote
qlpc
 qlpc
(@qlpc)

Posted by: qlpc

Did anyone manage to get this eGPU working in Bootcamp, while maintaining the ability to use the MacBook without the eGPU connected?

Yes
if u have a 15 inch macbook pro the key is to install the intel hd graphics and disable the radeon pro dedicated internal graphics in windows if u look at me video both the internal and external screens work, most people have only got it to output to the egpu with out the internal display working, but i will work independently if u install intel hd graphics drivers only

Is it possible to use the internal dGPU when not connected to the eGPU? How hard is it to enable/disable the dGPU? (ie. is it feasible to enable it when using it without the eGPU, and to disable it every time when connecting to the eGPU?)

@GuideOfGalaxy Could you please answer this question? I really want to know this as I'm planning on buying this eGPU.

ReplyQuote
KwamiMatrix
(@kwamimatrix)

Did anyone manage to get this eGPU working in Bootcamp, while maintaining the ability to use the MacBook without the eGPU connected?

Yes
if u have a 15 inch macbook pro the key is to install the intel hd graphics and disable the radeon pro dedicated internal graphics in windows if u look at me video both the internal and external screens work, most people have only got it to output to the egpu with out the internal display working, but i will work independently if u install intel hd graphics drivers only

Is it possible to use the internal dGPU when not connected to the eGPU? How hard is it to enable/disable the dGPU? (ie. is it feasible to enable it when using it without the eGPU, and to disable it every time when connecting to the eGPU?)

@GuideOfGalaxy Could you please answer this question? I really want to know this as I'm planning on buying this eGPU.

In general, macOS supports multiple GPUs, with each GPU driving a single display.  Regarding your first question, the standard scenario is indeed that there is no eGPU connected to the MacBook Pro, therefore, the dGPU will be enabled per the GPU load an application is requesting.  This is entirely up to the developer of your app and/or macOS.  You don't have individual control over this, unless your app 'gives' you control.  Same thing when an eGPU, like the Blackmagic eGPU with Radeon Pro 580, is connected.  It's up to macOS and/or your app. 

With regards to graphics rendering, as I noted above, the display connected to a specific GPU (iGPU, dGPU, eGPU) will have its view rendered by GPU driving that display.   In Apple programming parlance, this is called having a 'drawable' rendered by a particular GPU.  So, even if you have an eGPU connected to a particular display and a Thunderbolt port on your MacBook Pro, and say, another display connected directly to a Thunderbolt display on your MacBook Pro, an app who's view is on the display connected directly to the MacBook Pro's Thunderbolt port will have its drawable data structure rendered by the dGPU (assuming a 15 inch MacBook Pro).  Likewise, if the app's view is on the display conencted directly to an eGPU, then its drawable data structure will be rendered by the eGPU.

Apple has good developer docs on this here for further reading.

ReplyQuote
qlpc
 qlpc
(@qlpc)

Yes

In general, macOS supports multiple GPUs, with each GPU driving a single display.  Regarding your first question, the standard scenario is indeed that there is no eGPU connected to the MacBook Pro, therefore, the dGPU will be enabled per the GPU load an application is requesting.  This is entirely up to the developer of your app and/or macOS.  You don't have individual control over this, unless your app 'gives' you control.  Same thing when an eGPU, like the Blackmagic eGPU with Radeon Pro 580, is connected.  It's up to macOS and/or your app. 

With regards to graphics rendering, as I noted above, the display connected to a specific GPU (iGPU, dGPU, eGPU) will have its view rendered by GPU driving that display.   In Apple programming parlance, this is called having a 'drawable' rendered by a particular GPU.  So, even if you have an eGPU connected to a particular display and a Thunderbolt port on your MacBook Pro, and say, another display connected directly to a Thunderbolt display on your MacBook Pro, an app who's view is on the display connected directly to the MacBook Pro's Thunderbolt port will have its drawable data structure rendered by the dGPU (assuming a 15 inch MacBook Pro).  Likewise, if the app's view is on the display conencted directly to an eGPU, then its drawable data structure will be rendered by the eGPU.

Thank you for the technical insight, it's interesting and it works exactly as I expected it to on macOS. However, I'm wondering if I'm still able to use the dGPU in Windows when my MacBook isn't connected to the eGPU. I'm asking this because you need to disable the dGPU when using the eGPU on Windows, and I want to know how hard it is to enable/disable it, as I want to be able to use my dGPU on the go, and my eGPU when at home.

ReplyQuote
KwamiMatrix
(@kwamimatrix)

Yes

Thank you for the technical insight, it's interesting and it works exactly as I expected it to on macOS. However, I'm wondering if I'm still able to use the dGPU in Windows when my MacBook isn't connected to the eGPU. I'm asking this because you need to disable the dGPU when using the eGPU on Windows, and I want to know how hard it is to enable/disable it, as I want to be able to use my dGPU on the go, and my eGPU when at home.

Ok.  I didn't realize that you were referring to the situation under Windows from your original post.

ReplyQuote
JohnBRI
(@johnbri)

Hi.  Nice thread.  Would you happen to have some additional pictures of the Power Supply for this beast?  It looks really heavy duty.  Wondering about the noise and weight too but interested in the seeing more of the power supply.  Thanks in advance!

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: JohnBRI

Would you happen to have some additional pictures of the Power Supply for this beast?  It looks really heavy duty.  Wondering about the noise and weight too but interested in the seeing more of the power supply.

He said the power supply was a "Mean Well EPP-400-12". You can google that for pictures and information (400W 12V).

One of the selling points of the Blackmagic eGPU is the near silent operation. The specs say "Acoustic Performance ≈ 18 dB" and "4.5 kg" and "315 W".

This post was modified 1 year ago

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
sirisy
(@sirisy)

Does anyone know the dimensions of the blackmagic egpu box? I'll bring one (inside the box) in a handbag and I'd like to know the size to see if it fits.
This post was modified 1 year ago

ReplyQuote
 of  5