Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
[Unboxing] Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box

[Unboxing] Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box  

RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

It’s been a long wait but the RX 580 Gaming Box is finally here. As @gbt_brian stated in the pre-order thread, the official launch is April 27th. My sample unit arrived this morning. Here are some unboxing pictures and my first impressions.

The retail box is almost identical to the AORUS GTX 1070/1080 Gaming Box. The most obvious difference is the branding Gigabyte instead of AORUS.

Opening the box reveals carrying case with the Gaming Box inside. Accessories are power cord, .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable, shoulder strap for carrying case, and driver CD. Almost everything is the same as the other two Gaming Boxes.

Rear I/O consists of the power plug, three USB 3.0, one quickcharge USB, three DisplayPorts, one HDMI.

Here’s a closeup from the side to show the custom mini-ITX RX 580. The fan is 130mm with a Gigabyte sticker instead of AORUS like on the GTX 1080 Gaming Box. Unlike the AORUS GTX 1070/1080 Gaming Boxes, the main selling point of this RX 580 Gaming Box is plug-and-play compatibility with macOS 10.13.4 and beyond.

I connected this eGFX to my 2016 15″ MacBook Pro and can confirm Power Delivery is 100W. Thunderbolt firmware version is 27.27, the newest one yet. Indeed everything was plug-and-play in macOS.

Next was Windows Bootcamp testing. Thanks to @eightarmedpet, we now have a custom eGPU.io rEFInd theme. I followed the steps in our eGPU Bootcamp setup guide to attach the iGPU to the internal display and disable the PCIe Controller to the dGPU in order for AMD eGPU to work without error 12.

As can be seen above, the Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box worked well driving the internal display of my 2016 15″ MBP. One thing I noticed right away is to the lower bandwidth in AIDA. This is likely another Thunderbolt firmware tuning to remedy USB issues in eGPU enclosure with expansion I/O.

I will be doing tests for a full review of this eGFX. Please let me know if I left out any information you’d like to know.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Maximus
(@maximus)
Eminent Member

HYPE!!!
are the usb issues still here (mouse lag etc...)?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ondert
(@ondert)
Trusted Member

how fast was that..  😯

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

Wow! That is fantastic, looking forward to the full review.

Probably a stupid question but can someone confirm we cannot just buy the RX580 card out of these and put it into the 1070 box? 

2019 13" MacBook Pro (i7 & 16GB RAM) - MacOS + Win10
Late 2012 Mac Mini - MacOS + Win10
Asus XG Station Pro (RX570 8GB + RTX 2080)

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
dblgnet
(@dblgnet)

Interested also in any adverse USB effects. Specifically keyboard/mouse/ethernet adapter. Also how noisy or you find it. Would the laptop speakers mostly drown it out at a normal volume or would only headphones do the trick?

ReplyQuote
nombrescreeno
(@nombrescreeno)
Trusted Member

Could we get some game benchmarks both internal and external display, on both macOS and Win10?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
Arthy
(@arthy)
Eminent Member

Does that mean there is a new TB firmware around? I have passed along our USB issues to Brian. Hopefully the mouse lag will be dealt with soon.

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Would really like to know about performance and any possible issues with TB2 macs 🙂

MacOS: 15" Retina Macbook Pro 2015 Iris Pro only
Windows 10: Tornado F5 laptop with discrete GTX 1060
eGPU: GIGABYTE RX 580

ReplyQuote
Wesley
(@wesley)

Is the meshed side an intake or exhaust?

Are the usb ports reliable?

How are the thermal and noise level compared to the 1070/1080 game box (if you tried them)?

LED light off/on?

Late 2011 15" MBP - Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box - 10.13.4

ReplyQuote
nombrescreeno
(@nombrescreeno)
Trusted Member

Is the PSU the same in this one as the other Gaming Boxes? Also, is this 580 a 6-pin or 8-pin connector?

ReplyQuote
dblgnet
(@dblgnet)

Got mine today - like it so far, though getting used to it.

For a quick test I was running a game with a frame counter & ran an internet speed test at the same time. I have 1G internet & a usb-ethernet adapter hooked up to the Gaming Box. When the test was maxing out at ~900Mbps there were some frame dips but nothing bad – no loss of connection on the keyboard also plugged in to the Gaming Box. I haven't noticed any connection issues with USB during light gaming though I do use a Bluetooth mouse.

Anyone know if I set up a Windows VM can I use the Aorus Graphics Engine software to control the fan speed even while booted into macOS?

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Any downsides so far @itsage? Hardware, firmware etc?

MacOS: 15" Retina Macbook Pro 2015 Iris Pro only
Windows 10: Tornado F5 laptop with discrete GTX 1060
eGPU: GIGABYTE RX 580

ReplyQuote
399smooth
(@399smooth)

anyone try this on bootcamp and see if it still needs the workaround..

MBP 2017 13"

ReplyQuote
mar_kelp
(@mar_kelp)
Eminent Member

Is the meshed side an intake or exhaust?

The meshed side with the GPU fan (left side when looking from the front of the Gaming Box) is an intake.

Are the usb ports reliable?

The USB ports have worked fine for me using for keyboard, an external SSD and device charging. Performance of the USB SSD attached to the Gaming Box is equivalent to performance when the USB SSD is attached directly to the host. I have not tested USB performance while stressing the GPU/TB3 throughput.

How are the thermal and noise level compared to the 1070/1080 game box (if you tried them)?

I haven't used a 1070/1080 but the RX580 box isn't very loud. The GPU fan varies in speed and pitch. There is also a small case fan that runs at a higher pitch. Both are noticeable but neither are particularly a problem in my home office. I may try to move the Gaming Box under the desk, but more for desk space than noise.

LED light off/on?

LED lights are on and located under the GPU fan along the left side of the box.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + RX 580 Gaming Box + macOS 10.14.3 and Windows 10 (BootCamp with rEFInd)

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
doxadeo
(@doxadeo)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Wesley

LED light off/on?

LED light can be turned off using the Aorus Engine on Mac. The LED controller doesn't seem to be working on Bootcamp however.

Anyone notice that the PSU fan keeps turning on the Gaming Box even when the laptop is sleeping or turned off? The F1.1 firmware update is supposed to make the PSU fan shut off, but mine stays on when connected to a Mac. The fan does shut off completely if connected to a sleeping PC, so I'm wondering if it is a compatibility issue with Mac and Gaming Box.

System: MacBook Pro 13" 2018, 2.7 GHz, 16 GB
eGPU: Gigabyte Gaming Box RX 580
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Bootcamp Windows 10

ReplyQuote