Unboxing: Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck  

of  4
  RSS

wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Posted by: itsage
Posted by: wimpzilla

Not sure if you are still under NDA, but as always some pictures of the box internal, pcb, components are always welcome!

I'm taking it apart this weekend for the full review. 😀

Nice, thanks you!

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

If the card is a standard MXM module, and the cooler is reasonably easy to remove/reinstall, then upgrading to a different card should be doable. Of course, finding MXM cards is not trivial, but not impossible, especially if you do not need the latest/greatest. Looking forward to the disassembly.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2012 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T430s [3rd,2C,M] + RX 550 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor

Posted by: Yukikaze

If the card is a standard MXM module, and the cooler is reasonably easy to remove/reinstall, then upgrading to a different card should be doable. Of course, finding MXM cards is not trivial, but not impossible, especially if you do not need the latest/greatest. Looking forward to the disassembly.

All MXM performance  is far away than the standard PCIe. Due to the 2 phase power design, Max will be about 150W or even lower. Enjoy the size but dont expect to have a similar standard NV 1050 performance...

Base on my experience, logic should be like this: 120W for a MXM560 ( De-clock one ) , 580 is impossible Too high Power to solve the thermal. 1060 is also impossible. 

PD: 60W 

Internal: about 20~25W

power lost 8%

Total TDP: 210-220W. so that's why a LARGE Brick is needed. 

Mantiz: ● ●

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Here's the component view of this Breakaway Puck RX 560.

sonnet breakaway rx 560 puck egpu components   1
sonnet breakaway rx 560 puck egpu components   2

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

wimpzilla, nando4, 3RYL and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

Looks like a standard MXM-A card. That is good. It also looks like a MXM-B should also fit, which is how I guess they plan to get a RX570 class card in there. Overall, this is a very nifty device. Do we have any idea about what the pricing on this is going to be?

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2012 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T430s [3rd,2C,M] + RX 550 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

No word yet on pricing. If we were to start with a mini eGPU using the AKiTiO Node Lite, the total cost for an RX 560 eGPU would be close to $400. The Breakaway Puck is roughly half the metric volume of an AKiTiO Node Lite and has 45W Power Delivery.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Thanks you for the pictures.

Really good looking thunder board, packing.

I would have liked Sonet extended the thermal pad, cold plate on the TB controller, even if on half of it to make contact with the heatsink, would have been a must!

Nice piece of hardware!

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
RimsOnAToaster
(@rimsonatoaster)
Eminent Member

Super neat idea from the folks at Sonnet Technology! This is a really elegant way to handle multi-monitor systems using existing technology. I hadn't heard of the MXM format before this, and now I can't help but marvel at the space-savings that something like Sonnet's Breakaway Puck could offer ultrabooks if the idea catches on.

Question from the peanut gallery: How does the noise compare to that of a MacBook Pro 13" or an Aorus Gaming Box?

Dell 9570 (i5-8350H, no dGPU), Ubuntu 19.10 + Aorus Gaming Box 1070 (nvidia driver 435)

2018 15" Dell XPS 15 9570 (GTX1050Ti) [8th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage and ikir liked
ReplyQuote
Ajay Saklani
(@ajay_saklani)

Not working for me with ASUS Radeon RX 580 ROG STRIX. I'm unable to understand what the issue is. Changed the PSU from 350 to 600 as well but nothing happening. My MacBook Pro 2017 (MacOS High Sierra) crashes as soon as I connect the eGPU to it. Anyone here can suggest me any solution?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Hugo Lannes Gonçalves
(@hugo_lannes_goncalves)

This would be perfect for my wife's MBPro (depending on price, of course), but I wish it had at least one USB port so you could hook it up to a monitor or USB hub. The way it's designed now, it would still require 2 cables routed to the laptop. I'd buy an Aorus Gaming Box right now if NVIDIAs were already plug-and-play on High Sierra.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  4