US$699 Apple Blackmagic eGPU (RP580)  

of  6
  RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

New Apple Blackmagic eGPU (RP580)

Overview

Get desktop-class graphics performance on your MacBook Pro with the Blackmagic eGPU. Featuring the Radeon Pro 580 graphics processor, the Blackmagic eGPU is built to make any Mac with Thunderbolt 3 ports a graphics powerhouse. Enjoy supersmooth gaming, accelerate graphics-intensive pro app workflows, and enable VR experiences or content creation. Built-in I/O connections drive a Thunderbolt 3 display, support multiple accessories, and charge your MacBook Pro at the same time.

Pair the Blackmagic eGPU with the stunning resolution and immaculate visuals of the LG UltraFine 5K Display for the ultimate Mac setup.

Highlights

Compatible with Mac with Thunderbolt 3 ports

Radeon Pro 580 graphics processor with 8GB of GDDR5 memory

Two Thunderbolt 3 ports

Four USB 3 ports

One HDMI 2.0 port

85W power delivery

From the FAQ's/info...

Can I upgrade the GPU chip in the Blackmagic eGPU?

No, the design has been optimized for quiet operation so it’s better suited for creative customers. This means the design is not a simple chassis with a PCIe card plugged in, but an integrated electronics, mechanical and cooling design that cannot have the GPU chip upgraded or changed.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Didnt notice that new eGPU! I love the idea of a more vertical design.
Decent updates all round I'd say.

OH AND PUMP THE BRAKES... it supports LG 5K displays!?!?!

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
ondert
(@ondert)
Trusted Member

Wow.. totally new Egpu setup sold by Apple... hmm.. probably not user upgradable?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

From the FAQ's/info...

"

Can I upgrade the GPU chip in the Blackmagic eGPU?

No, the design has been optimized for quiet operation so it’s better suited for creative customers. This means the design is not a simple chassis with a PCIe card plugged in, but an integrated electronics, mechanical and cooling design that cannot have the GPU chip upgraded or changed.

"

---

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ppm liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

This news came much earlier than I anticipated. Very good for those who have been waiting for the MBP lineup refresh!

Regarding the BlackMagic eGPU, the graphics card is definitely not interchangable. Apple worked with BlackMagic to route video outputs to Thunderbolt 3. This is currently the only solution at the moment to power the LG Ultrafine 5K with an eGPU.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: ondert

Wow.. totally new Egpu setup sold by Apple... hmm.. probably not user upgradable?

It has an unusual port layout. Only the single HDMI port for video out. 4x USB 3.0 ports and two TB3 ports:

According to this link, it's 7 x 7 x 12 inches in size, or 9.64L in volume. That means it is just under 3 times the volume of the US$500 Gigabyte Gaming Box (3.30L).

Edit: @itsage, nice that it has the unique ability to drive the LG Ultrafine 5K display.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

"This is currently the only solution at the moment to power the LG Ultrafine 5K with an eGPU."

I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into this, but I am always suspicious you know something most don't... 

Either way, I'm dead excited by this and will prob be buying it, they claim no Bootcamp support but it'll be interesting to hear if folks can get it working. Don't suppose you guys are getting one to test? I'd be happy to help you out testing on an LG 5K in both os...  😉

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

You know what's funny, this enclosure is totally inspired by the Mac Pro trashcan (6.6 x 6.6 x 9.9 inches) and yet Apple shows no respect for the elderly Mac.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Posted by: itsage

You know what's funny, this enclosure is totally inspired by the Mac Pro trashcan (6.6 x 6.6 x 9.9 inches) and yet Apple shows no respect for the elderly Mac.

Yeah I noticed the proportions too, kinda crazy that the Mac Pro is an ENTIRE computer, including 2 (of the time) powerful GPU's and it's still a wee bit smaller than this....

---

ikir and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

"This is currently the only solution at the moment to power the LG Ultrafine 5K with an eGPU."

I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into this, but I am always suspicious you know something most don't... 

Either way, I'm dead excited by this and will prob be buying it, they claim no Bootcamp support but it'll be interesting to hear if folks can get it working. Don't suppose you guys are getting one to test? I'd be happy to help you out testing on an LG 5K in both os...  😉

This came as a surprise to me. I had a suspicion Apple was working on something to power the Ultrafine 5K but no details on whether it's in-house or through a vendor. I don't have any contacts at BlackMagic so no media sample on launch day.

I'm going to the local Apple Store tonight though. It's completely incidental that I scheduled for my 2016 15" MacBook Pro keyboard repair today (stuck W key). I highly doubt the local store has new MBP or the new eGPU in stock/on display.

ReplyQuote
 of  6