Share:

US$699 Apple Blackmagic eGPU (RP580)  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member
July 16, 2018 11:49 pm  

has any one tried to run 2 of these? in blackmagics davinci resolve (paid version) you can select multiple graphics cards to use at the same time. I doubt this will work with games but video editing I think would make it perform alot better than the results now 🙂 2 graphics cards are better than one 🙂

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member
July 16, 2018 11:58 pm  

Posted by: GuideOfGalaxy

also you wouldn't be able to run 2 4k usb c or thunderbolt monitors on the blackmagic egpu since it only has the 1 thunderbolt 3 port the other port is for connect to you laptop.

Remember two things:
1) Thunderbolt can carry two 4K DisplayPort streams.
2) You can chain Thunderbolt devices.

Will this work with 1 5k thunderbolt display  and 1 hdmi 4k display? does thunderbolt 3 have enough bandwidth to do that?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member
July 17, 2018 1:19 am  
Posted by: GuideOfGalaxy

Will this work with 1 5k thunderbolt display  and 1 hdmi 4k display? does thunderbolt 3 have enough bandwidth to do that?

Answered in the teardown thread (well, at least speculated with details and possibilities).
[Unboxing & Teardown] Blackmagic eGPU Radeon Pro 580 Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member
July 17, 2018 11:02 am  

Loving this thing so far!! great egpu
doing some final cut x testing now 😀

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member
July 18, 2018 11:52 pm  

Here it is btw more photos of the eGPU 😀

IMG 1260
IMG 1256
IMG 1255
IMG 1254
IMG 1245
IMG 1244

ReplyQuote
EmSeta
(@emseta)
July 19, 2018 9:19 am  

So can I connect this to a Thunderbolt Display using a TB3»TB2 adapter?  😕 

That would be amazing.

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member
July 19, 2018 10:56 am  

I never thought it would be possible but I was able to run Counter strike - Global offensive at full 5k resolution at maxed out settings I was like :O!!! and it was very very smooth game play!!!! wish I could get the frame rate but wow for an egpu on a laptop thats impressive. never though I would ever be able to run a game at 5k res lol.

Drsbkk and goalque liked
ReplyQuote
WeilGPU
(@weilgpu)
July 19, 2018 1:11 pm  
Posted by: EmSeta

So can I connect this to a Thunderbolt Display using a TB3»TB2 adapter?  😕 

That would be amazing.

Yes, you can. 🙂
But when playing games the sound of the thunderbolt display speakers stutters...

It‘s really a great device concerning design, cooling and integration in macOS, but there are also a few negative points:

It‘s only a small bite faster than the integrated AMD Radeon Pro 560 in most applications. Especially in games I only get about 5-10 fps more which isn‘t enough for spending 700$.

I also got it to work in Bootcamp. 🙂
Here are my Heaven Benchmark results for comparison:
580 Windows: 60 fps
580 macOS: 40 fps
560 Windows: 40 fps
560 macOS: 30 fps

So Performance in Windows is much better.

But I think it‘s only worth the money if you‘re using it with a 13“ MBP.

ReplyQuote
Drsbkk
(@drsbkk)
July 19, 2018 3:29 pm  

Hi there, could you please try to use it on bootcamp to see if that works.

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member
July 20, 2018 5:58 am  

Yes, you can. 🙂
But when playing games the sound of the thunderbolt display speakers stutters...

It‘s really a great device concerning design, cooling and integration in macOS, but there are also a few negative points:

It‘s only a small bite faster than the integrated AMD Radeon Pro 560 in most applications. Especially in games I only get about 5-10 fps more which isn‘t enough for spending 700$.

I also got it to work in Bootcamp. 🙂
Here are my Heaven Benchmark results for comparison:
580 Windows: 60 fps
580 macOS: 40 fps
560 Windows: 40 fps
560 macOS: 30 fps

So Performance in Windows is much better.

But I think it‘s only worth the money if you‘re using it with a 13“ MBP.

where did you get the drivers for this? I can't even get the right driver to make the thing work on bootcamp.

also are you maxed out at 2560x1440 res with max AA on as well?
I get 33fps in Mac OS with heaven on the 580.
I have a radeon pro 455 in my 2016 macbook pro it only has 2gb of vram it gets like 15 fps in heaven.

also heaven is only a benchmark program for games. doesn't show real life performance 
this is a video editing tool and I seem massive improvement in davinci resolve with this and screenflow too exports are much faster.

The $1149 AUD( including tax) ($847 USD) is well worth it for me to be able to run my LG 5k thunderbolt monitor accelerated.

ReplyQuote
WeilGPU
(@weilgpu)
July 20, 2018 7:06 am  

It took a while to find out how to use the eGPU on Windows, but it works really great.
You have to do the follwing:

• Download the AMD drivers from this website: https://www.bootcampdrivers.com
  • Start Windows in Safe Mode
  • Install the AMD Drivers
  • Connect your eGPU
  • Go to Device Manager
  • Look for a new Graphics Card to show up (it will have a weired name)
  • right click on it and click on update drivers
  • Now choose to select the driver manually
  • As .inf file choose the .inf file in the AMD Drivers folder you just downloaded. Somewhere under Packages, Drivers, Display,..
  • Now you see a list of devices
  • Select Radeon Pro 580, NOT RX 580!
  • Force Windows to install the driver
  • Restart
  • Now the 580 should work including all Radeon Software features

Keep in mind that you cannot use your internal display with that drivers. You have to connect an external monitor and it has to be connected directly to the eGPU. And you have to connect the eGPU always before you start Windows otherwise Windows will mostly crash. 😉

@guideofgalaxy
You are right, the eGPU is meant for video editing and rendering and it works like a charm for that porpuse.
I hoped for a better gaming performance, but unfortunately that doesn‘t make any sense.
Some more values I meassured in Windows:
XPlane 560: 15 fps (high settings)
XPlane 580: 12 fps (high settings)
GTA V 560: 30 fps (very high settings)
GTA V 580: 60 fps (very high settings)
Ark Survival 560: 10 fps (Epic settings)
Ark Survival 580: 20 fps (Epic settings)

Everything was testet on full resolution of the Thunderbolt Display. Only Heaven was running on 1600x800

Drsbkk liked
ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member
July 20, 2018 1:35 pm  

yeah did all this I have a driver and it sees it but now I get code 12 crap in the description.

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member
July 24, 2018 3:55 am  

Unboxing and showcase video using it with Bootcamp windows 10.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
GuideOfGalaxy
(@guideofgalaxy)
Trusted Member
February 3, 2019 9:30 pm  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

@weilgpu Are you using the Blackmagic with an ultrafine display?

I am with mac os but in boot camp windows it doesn't' see the ultrafine display.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member
February 3, 2019 11:58 pm  
Posted by: WeilGPU

This is not my experience. The RX 580 is about double faster in all tests and applications than the Pro 560X. Moreover, it has the big advantage that the notebook (fan) is not yelling every time there is some load. Even the RX 570, which is 10% less than the RX 580 is already a big improvement.
Another big point is: The macbook doesn't get hot as it gets with load on the 560X. So there is no throttle for CPU as well. All in all, it's a *hugh* improvemnt in any case, an external RX 580 to the internal Pro 560X.

This post was modified 4 months ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2