Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Use USB-C port on RTX 2080 for Bootcamp

Use USB-C port on RTX 2080 for Bootcamp  

RSS

C Films
(@c-films)

Curious if the USB-C port works in Bootcamp for the RTX 2080. It probably won't work in Mac OS, but I want to know if a USB-C display could work with it in Bootcamp.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The USB-C port works very well in Windows/Boot Camp. Here’s my RTX 2080 Ti + Razer Core build with 2018 13″ MacBook Pro. The USB-C port powered the ASUS portable USB-C monitor while one DisplayPort powered the Samsung CHG90 monitor.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

What about in macOS? You can't connect a display, but can you connect a USB 2.0 or 3.1 gen 2 device? In otherwords, the GPU can't be used, but maybe the XHCI can?

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
C Films
(@c-films)

@itsage

That's good. Means I might be able to use a UltraFine 4K Display with it, or the new 5K model that downscales to 4K with a USB-C connection (In Bootcamp. I don't think it'll work in Mac OS since the support for Nvidia is gone). My biggest issue was with getting an eGPU enclosure that would work with one of those monitors, without them being connected separately on the Mac. Nearly all GPU enclosures don’t have a second Thunderbolt port for display, or even a second USB-C port for 4K. And GPUs only has Display Ports and HDMI. But with a USB-C port added in, it should solve that issue. Sucks that AMD cards don't have a USB-C port built in yet, but I imagine that'll change next year. Especially with Display Port 2.0 being a USB-C port.

This post was modified 4 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@joevt I tested the RTX 2070 Super USB-C in macOS 10.15 last night. Unfortunately no device attached to this port was detected.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

From what I remember, if you go into system profiler and pcie devices, MacOS sees the USB controller, identifies it as such, but does not load drivers.

2019 16 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII MacOS 10.15.1
Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Windows 10 1909

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

An IORegistryExplorer dump and "lspci -nnvv" would be interesting.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote